How old should a IRN be before they eat seed?

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

tdk15

How old should a IRN be before they eat seed?

Post by tdk15 »

Hi, my name is Taylor,

I have a 7 week old IRN which i have been hand feeding formula for a week but it now doesn't want much but want to eat seed. Is this too young?
chickencroley

Re: How old should a IRN be before they eat seed?

Post by chickencroley »

Yes, very much too young. The IRN you have should not be eating anything but formula until he/she begins to ween. I would also suggest pellets over seeds, the seeds are very fattening and bad for their health. It is also harder to get them to try new foods such as vegatables when you start with seeds. I started giving mine pellets when she was down to 2 hand feedings a day. She will eat almost anything now, I didn't introduce her to seeds until she was at least a year old, and they are only used as treats.
tdk15

Post by tdk15 »

Thanks, i thought it would be. He loves fruit and is not wanting much formula.
Kwagga

Post by Kwagga »

Hi chickencroley! The other day I posted a question asking if it is okay if I give my (then) 4week old irn some fruit. The answer was yes, not a problem. He is now 5weeks old and he loves his fruit and veg. I now placed some pellets in a small see-through bowl in his cage. He is not really eating it yet, but he is playing with it. Is it okay giving him fruits and veg?? He has also started climbing his ladder and everything else in his cage - I thought they only started doing this at a much later stage. Is it possible for some to start weening earlier than others?
tdk15

Post by tdk15 »

Hi Kwagga, my IRN is now 7.5 weeks and has started flying. It was barely standing at 6 weeks nor did it have many feathers. You must a have a very strong bird for it to be climbing.
The breader i got my IRN from told me not to give pellet till they were 8 weeks because they are too hard. I made the mistake of letting mine get to my budgies seed and he was sick and vomited up the seed and didn't eat for a day. Not sure if pellets would do the same.
Kwagga

Post by Kwagga »

Hi tdk15. I find this very funny - I am sure my breeder made a mistake with his age. He is almost fully feathered, only this bum and part of his chest that does not have feathers. Mine has been walking around since I got him, at 3weeks (according to the breeder). I am sure they made a mistake with his age. It worries me, because I might then be feeding him the wrong formula.
tdk15

Post by tdk15 »

I think so. Mine at 6 weeks barely had any feathers on his neck and not realy a tail. He is now 7.5 weeks and is fairly covered but still has a bare crop and little bits missing on the side of his neck. He just started flying little bits 2 days ago. Maybe ask your breader again what date they hatched. My facebook name is Taylor Campbell where i have some videos of mine. My profile pic is of my bird when he was 6 weeks.
Kwagga

Post by Kwagga »

Taylor, I sent you a friend request on facebook. Annalize Burger. At 5 weeks mine has the same amount of feathers yours had at 6 weeks. I am sure my breeder is wrong. I did ask her again. She insist that he hatched on 20 Sept.
tdk15

Post by tdk15 »

Mine was born the 2 Sep. You must be feeding your well and he is growing quickly. I have accepted your request now so you can see the videos. The photo of him on my purple t-shirt he was 6 weeks that day.
Kwagga

Post by Kwagga »

I will upload some photos on facebook, then you can also see Rusty. For some unknown reason the board does not allow images.