Pasta sauce as a last resort

Moderator: Mods

stv217

Pasta sauce as a last resort

Post by stv217 »

m

My irn used to eat carrots, broccoli, cucumber, sweet potato, radishes, and squash raw. He would refuse any greens and pellets. So I crushed the pellets, coated the veggies in them and success, he started to eat pellets. Unfortunately, he now refuses all veg. We're talking about grabbing and tossing all veg away from him refusal here.

I've tried everything. Baked bird bread, he pulls the veg out and eats the bread. I've cut the veg in fun shapes, steamed them, roasted them, eaten them in front of him - no success. He'll taste them, then start throwing them. I tried using them as rewards for treats and puzzles, no luck. If I coat the veg in pellet dust again, he just licks it off.

I've taken his food out at night, and he nearly went a whole day without touching any veg. I think he ate some broccali, not sure, but I finally caved and gave him pellets and some fruit.

He does like rice, beans and pasta. He'll even eat some peas and carrots with fried rice, but there's no way I can make him that every morning. He ate pasta with tomato sauce (but not the veg with it) so that gave me an idea.

What if I made a fortified marinara sauce? Cook veggies in homemade tomato sauce, blend, and just add the sauce to his pellets/grains. Do you guys think this would be a sufficient way to add veggies to his diet?
rod038

Re: Pasta sauce as a last resort

Post by rod038 »

The main part of the diet should be seed or some people give pellets and then supplemented with some fruit and veg. If he is healthy I wouldnt worry too much about it. Not too much Sunflower seed though. I had a budgie once that would not touch anything but seed and lived for 10 years only eating seed.