Introducing foods for weaning

Moderator: Mods

Crisco

Introducing foods for weaning

Post by Crisco »

I have a ringneck that is 2 months and 4 days old. To this day I'm still feeding him 3 times a day. He does not eat any solid foods. Anything wet seems to bug him cuz he wipes his beak and ignores the food. Will he instinctively begin eating solid food at three months?
ringneck
Site Admin

Re: Introducing foods for weaning

Post by ringneck »

Hey Crisco,
I would not worry as weaning is an instinct and the parrot will eventually start to eat on his own. Some breeders unfortunately try to rush the process by starving the bird; however, this is counterproductive. You’ll notice your parrot will start to cut back on his feedings—this is normal and the bird will lose a bit of weight.

When this phase happens, the most I can usually get down in one feeding is 5 ccs. So, I feed more throughout the day about five to six times. When they are babies most breeders feed 3 times with large crops—maybe more. Just feed the bird as often as you can and when he/she refuses food—then stop feeding.
Also, since your bird is kept by himself, expect weaning to take much longer—around 10 -12 weeks.

To encourage weaning, play with the food between your fingers and pretend to eat it. I like to use warm pumpkin or squash. A lot of breeder use unsalted/ unsweetened cheerios. Place pellets and seeds into his cage as well and just play with them in front of your parrot—in time, he/she will start to eat on their own.

Also, parrots are clean and they like their beaks to remain clean as well. I still hand feed Archimedes as a treat w/ exact and after I spoon feed him he wipes his beak. I’ll just take a napkin and wipe it for him though—saves him the trouble.

Hope this helps!

Best Wishes :wink: ,

IMRAN-C