new cage

Moderator: Mods

Manc.sean

new cage

Post by Manc.sean »

Hi, I've recentley bought a new cage for my baby IRN Zeus, at the same time as getting Zeus I got 2 6week old budgies, with a new cage, now the budgies sadly died, suspected heavy metal poisoning, due to the coating of zinc on the new cage, should I be worried about Zeus and his/her cage? Should I clean the bars with anything, I couldn't bare losing my RN.
He has also been sat playing on the same cage the budgies were in, he showing no symptoms, I don't think, but could he have it also?
I've also got a cockatiel who has also sat on top of this cage, I am worried to b honest, really worried.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
mikeb

Re: new cage

Post by mikeb »

wash it with a 50% vinegar & 50% water solution
Blueberrybird

Post by Blueberrybird »

I have a cage for a baby irn I will b getting soon. I would like to set up a play station on top of the cage but it will be above eye level if I do this. Is there a potential problem with this? The breeder told me I should not have the bird above eye level if I want it to be handelable, is this true?
ringneck
Site Admin

Post by ringneck »

Hey Blueberrybird,

Every breeder has their own method of raising and keeping parrots tame. I personally believe that the height of the cage has nothing to do w/ how your bird reacts towards you. In fact, a higher location makes them feel more secure as these parrots are naturally sentinels.

It’s how you interact with and socialize the bird that matters. Some of my parrot cages are above my eye level and all of mine are just fine. Now trying to get them would be another story :o)

Hope this helps!

Best Wishes :wink: ,

IMRAN-C
Melika

Post by Melika »

Manc.sean wrote:Hi, I've recentley bought a new cage for my baby IRN Zeus, at the same time as getting Zeus I got 2 6week old budgies, with a new cage, now the budgies sadly died, suspected heavy metal poisoning, due to the coating of zinc on the new cage, should I be worried about Zeus and his/her cage? Should I clean the bars with anything, I couldn't bare losing my RN.
He has also been sat playing on the same cage the budgies were in, he showing no symptoms, I don't think, but could he have it also?
I've also got a cockatiel who has also sat on top of this cage, I am worried to b honest, really worried.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Is there actually zinc paint on the new cage? It would have to be ingested for zinc toxicity to be a problem- I've never heard of birds dying so quickly from it unless they ingest paint chips or a zinc toy etc. It isn't a toxin by touch, it has to be ingested.

There is a test a vet can do to check for high levels of zinc.

Some info on zinc toxicity in parrots: http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww14eiii.htm

It don't think it's listed in that article, but using softened water in a galvanized metal dish will leech zinc into the drinking water.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay