new IRN and need much help

Moderator: Mods

sunnychico

new IRN and need much help

Post by sunnychico »

I have just purshaced our new IRN five days ago. He is very small not all his feathers are in and I feed him baby food (kaylees) Im not sure how old he is, or if I should be giving him other foods yet? The women from the pet store said feed him three times aday with the tube and thats about it. I have looked online for two days now and can't find much info on introducing food or what kind. I have him in a fish tank right now with a stuffy that he loves to cuddle with. When should he go in a cage? Many questions sorry new at this. He is all yellow from what feathers he has and we named him chico. :?:
misty

Re: new IRN and need much help

Post by misty »

I can't beleave that this pet shop didn't give you any more info then that. =(
First I would not put him/her in a cage till it is fully featherd an feathers are open. (so he/she does not brake a pin feather.) Then keep the perches low so it dosn't hurt it self.
You could probably start introducing new foods to it in about a week or so. Soft small color free pelets (soak in water for about 5 min) cooked sweet potato, corn, carrots, peas, strawberrys, bananas, ext. chop small to make it easy for him/her.(you can use baby foods also) place in a small shallow dish or in the top of a peanut butter jar lid (wash throughly) in with him. Do not let it sit in there for more then 30 min. at a time. Do this 4-5 times a day. He/she is not going to know what it is so you might have to put some on you finger an let him/her nibble it off. Do not stop hand feeding at this point though. Check out hand feeding an weaning on this site referred to viewtopic.php?f=1&t=799. I would also suggest a well baby visit with your local avian vet. Just to be sure he/she is in good health. They can also help you out more with any questions or concerns.
Hope this helps and good luck
sunnychico

Re: new IRN and need much help

Post by sunnychico »

Thank you so much! I feel like I have a direction to go in now. Yes I did check out that section on hand feeding it helped with a lot of my questions and I also have a apointment with the vet next week. Thank you