Motly Bird

Moderator: Mods

kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Motly Bird

Post by kyria »

Look at the mess he is in .. I wish I could get a good pic of his head, its just as bad:-

He is losing feathers all over the place, the house is a mess and he is getting back flight feathers. He practices to fly alot now, soon he will actually take off, but I want to wait till all his feathers are back in before I pay to have him clipped again. That way it can be done really evenly too.
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

Buddy's molt this year was so bad I tested him for PBFD again. Even though I know he hasn't been exposed, even though I had him tested as a baby... it was BAD.

His head looked like a pincushion, really! Little white shafts sticking out all over, bald spots in between. And of course he would only allow me to preen 2 or 3 feathers at a time before he got mad.

See, comparativly... your baby looks great for mid molt! ;)

Athena
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

well its a few days on and Kai is starting to look like what you described, i can see little shafts in spots now, and I have to vacuum up feathers from everywhere.. how long does the moult usually go on for ?
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

This may be a silly ? but do all birds moult around the same time? Like dogs do during spring and fall? My tiel is moulting bad! But I really haven't noticed remmi or byndi moulting. When will remmi have his first moult? He's about four and a half months old now.
Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

This year was a hard molt for our guys... I think it took about 3 weeks from the pin cushion stage to back to semi normal looking bird. If you can preen him do it, that helps it end faster.

Like I said, I got so paranoid that I ended up running bloodwork on him again... and it was nothing. Good soaking showers help a lot, a bit of extra protein in the diet helps, and patience.

Soaking showers, oh yea, I need to bathe the brats today!

Athena
jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

Well here's another silly question. How do WE preen our birds??? I don't think I've ever done that. Remmi seems to have some white things on his head like Milo does when he's getting new feathers. Is this the beginning of a moult??