Moult and Mood

Moderator: Mods

kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Moult and Mood

Post by kyria »

Is it usual for IRN's to become tired and very quiet during a moult. Kai is not really himself, especially in the morning. He sleeps in very late and spends most of his day sleeping. He does chirp up a little in the afternoons, but is just generally very quiet and always resting.

I hope this is normal
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

Its normal. I'd worry if it goes on too long, but honestly, you have to expect some tired behavior. His body is working overtime building lots of new feathers and growing them out.

I always increase protein in the diet a wee bit during a molt, as the sheaths are made of protein and they can become deficient on occasion. Just an extra couple of beans a day can make a world of difference :)

Athena
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Thanks ! I'll increase the beans :D
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

What kind of beans do u feed them? Never tried beans.
Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

I like Kidney, great northern, chickpeas, and blackbeans. Those are my favorites to feed anyway.

Athena
jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

Ok, I've never bought beans in my life. I'm assuming these come in a bag, raw? And you just buy the bags and mix them?? Please don't think I'm a ding. I'm just not a cook and don't know about these things. But I want to give my birds healthy, yummy stuff. So...

Are raisins ok for them? Hope so cuz my baby's seem to enjoy them. Any kind of nuts that they shouldn't have? Thanks for all of your help with this.

Jen
Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

Beans need to be soaked over night and then cooked. Raw beans are not good :(

Raisins aren't "bad" but you need to keep in mind that they are packed with sugar. Really packed with it.

Nuts aren't bad, but they are high fat. Some species of bird need a higher fat diet than others (Macaws for one) so they need extra nuts in their diet, however IRN's don't need much fat in the diet so its best not to offer too many nuts.

Athena
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Oooo Prinny loves Kidney beans. BTW during her molt she was crabby...she would lunge for no reason and threatens to bite.

Dani and Prinny