advise wanted

Moderator: Mods

RachelD

advise wanted

Post by RachelD »

my beautiful yellow girl mildred is sitting on 4 eggs well yesterday it was 3 today its four, so im guessing shes been laying them over the last week, when do i start counting the days untill hatching? also im going to be hand rearing 2 of them so if they all hatch the parents will still have 2. would it be mean to pull all 4? i have never done this before but hand raised a lot of other animals and i am pretty confidant, i have read a few different things on the temp of the food, some say 40 degrees some say 32 what are your opionions please. 1 more question, i will be pulling them at 14days old how warm does my incubator need to be?
Coastal-Birds

Re: advise wanted

Post by Coastal-Birds »

Hi Rachel
If your birds have had young then to take four would be ok but if not it is best you leave them 2 so they get use to knowing what they have to do for future breeding.
When i hand raise birds i always heat my mixture to 32c in a bowl of hot water,dont microwave it as the mix is hotter in centre than outside.
Feeding for 2 week old chick is every 4 hrs then at 15-25 days old every 5hrs then 23-34 days about every 7-8hrs.
Make sure last feed is about 10-11pm and let them go all night without feeding to about 7am,this is for all ages from 14-34 days.
Also before each feed make sure there crop is empty.
The amount for 14 days is 4-6cc,then 15-24 7-10cc you will get use to them as they will basically eat what they want and then take no more.
The heating for your brooder should be 32c for 14 days to about 25 then drop this to 28-30 later as they will start pin feathers.
Once they have feather about 70% leave it at 28c and always make sure you place water or a wet rag somewhere to keep humidity in there for them.
Hope this helps
Coastal Birds
www.coastalbirds.com.au