So hard to tame!

Moderator: Mods

DivineDomain

So hard to tame!

Post by DivineDomain »

It took no time for us to tame our quakers but with the ringnecks, they are so wild and bite crazy.
Whats the deal?
smallworld

Re: So hard to tame!

Post by smallworld »

The deal is they're more stubborn and require more persistence and patience on your part :) This is a common thing with the ringnecks and one of the reason why it took me a long time to get one. However, I've noticed that once they decide 'you're on ok guy' for them to hang around with, they get used to you really fast. Although training depends alot on mood, in my opinion.
DivineDomain

Post by DivineDomain »

Ok these last 3 days I have tried holding tasty treats up to this one IRN but he won't accept them, he just screams like a goose (extremely loud) and runs from me. This boy/girl wants absolutely nothing to do with me! I tried holding him in a towel and rubbing his head and offering treats again but he has his beak wide open screaming and trying to bite the whole time. Is this a case where he'll never calm down? He's the youngest we have at 1yr old. The others will take food from my hand though but not him.

Here's the little devil
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Nooo dont worry. I dont think that its even possible that they cannot be tamed. If you've read that they cant be tamed somewhere, most likely its the fault of the keeper.

Well the space in between your messages show that you're going nice and slow. Keep it slow, go even slower if you've to. Because, he has been like this for a whole year a good part of his character and attitude have been quite developed. (i'm just assuming that before you got him nobody paid him any attention). So I'd say you'd be making progress in the time frame of months.

Though controversial, I'd recommend you trim his wings for 1 season. That will result in any out time he gets, with you picking him up with a stick and later with your hands, to return him to his cage. Do you keep them in your living room? I find it the best place. As people tend to spend the most time in their living rooms, it gives the bird maximum observation time of you. When you give him the treats, stick it a safe distance from him. Like near the entrance. If he comes, let him come. If he doesnt, try again another time.

Also there is another, reasonably controversial method but it works. This is going to sound mean but what you could do is take his food away for 2 hours or 3 but leave the water. Then comeback and offer him food in your hand. Dont expect any progress on the first couple of days but he should be showing some interest pretty soon. After about 15 minutes of trying if he still doesnt take it, you can stop trying. Just remember to give him his food back later. Of course the treat you hold out, should be something he really likes to eat.

Well keep trying what you're doing and think about clipping. I'll post if i can think of anything.
DivineDomain

Post by DivineDomain »

Okay I got some gloves today and clipped his wings, he was so mad lol! After I got the wings done and I was holding him for a little while he stopped screaming but was still biting. I put him back in his cage and I went and got his favorite food, a strawberry! lol
He eyeballed it for about 5 minutes and then tore into it, I was surprised at how fast he calmed down! He is downstairs in the bird room, I do have a question though is it okay to bring him to the living room with us where there are no other birds, because I heard someone on this forum say that birds like to be where they can see other birds?
I am going to try the taking food away method tomorrow, I'll be home all day.
I'm going to have to get some more strawberries this weekend! :lol:

Thank you for helping me out smallworld! I sure appreciate this.
xx_sheena_xx

Post by xx_sheena_xx »

he should be fine in the living room with you
bird like being around other bird but it probaly would be better for him just to be around people because that way he doesnt really have anyone eles to talk to so he should get used to you quicker
Shane7285

Post by Shane7285 »

Hi

I agree with Sheena, I would be moving his cage into your living room.

Also, in regards to him not taking food yet, I would try sticking the stawberry in his cage and see how close you can stand before he will eat it, and slowly get closer to the cage each time you give him one, eventually you will be right next to the cage, and I would at that stage offer him the stawberry from your hand.

Regards

Shane
smallworld

Post by smallworld »

Yeah I said in the previous post the living room is in my opinion one of the best. About the no other bird thing, dont worry about it too much. I dont know how far your living and bird rooms are but if he can hear the other birds and they regard each other as a flock then there will be some calling out going around, which might be ear piercing :lol: Since the strawberries are what he likes, then you have a leverage for negotiation :wink: You come to me, you get strawberry. Since you clipped his wings and he has adjusted to it pretty fast, I'd say give him a month and he'll be ok with you. If your living room is safe enough, some out time on the floor or on the sofa would be good too. He could get to check you and the place out.

Best of luck :)
jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

DivineDomain wrote:tried holding him in a towel and rubbing his head and offering treats
is this method recommended by other people in dealing with an untamed bird. im cautious as i dont want to put a foot wrong in dishonouring my IRNs (slowly) growing trust, or do anything counter-active.