A Thread For Budgie Fans

A place to talk about all species, apart from our Ringnecks. Please, post video and pics when available.

Moderator: Mods

MissK

A Thread For Budgie Fans

Post by MissK »

Welcome to A Thread For Budgie Fans!

I looked and looked for a Forum as nice as this one, but for Budgies. Couldn't find one. IndianRingneck.com has the best forum ever! So I decided to hijack a little bit of the Ringneck Forum and make it a space for those of us who love Asiatic Parakeets, but love Budgerigars, too! (Hope that's OK........)

Put your Budgie stuff here! I'll start:

My name is MissK and I love Budgies. I love their pretty looks and their vivacious attitudes. I'd like to keep a great many, but it seems not suited to my lifestyle. :lol: I do keep a beautiful pair in my Living Room, across from my Indian Ringneck Parakeet. Riff Raff, my girl, is a mostly pewter grey Budgie with grey markings. She's about a year old. My boy, Dr. Scott, is yellow and light green, also with grey markings. He's a few months younger than Riff Raff. The Budgies are friends, but it's possible that Dr. Scott loves his mirror more than he loves Riff Raff, and that's good with me, since that mirror will never lay eggs. My pet peeve is how Americans say "Parakeet" when they mean "Budgerigar" and don't think there are any other kinds of parakeets.

The Budgie cage is about 18"x30"x32" high. It is furnished with natural fig branches, hand made jute ropes in varied thickness, hardy kiwi and grape vines, natural fir perches, beads, blocks, rings, a bath, cardboard hidey-hole tube, a rag swing and a standard swing, a small mirror, and cuttle bone. I recently removed a pair of store-bought Budgie toys because they got no action. My Ringneck, Rocky, might enjoy them on his play area.

The Budgies eat a seed mix along with some pellet mush and variety of fresh foods. Well, at least I *offer* them a variety of fresh foods...... They prefer fresh greens and Bell Pepper seeds. Sometimes they get a tiny bit of meat or egg.

One of my Budgies is finger tame and the other is not. I was astonished by the difference between the birds, as youngsters, and I'm convinced it has to do with the conditions under which they were kept at the different (gasp!) Pet Stores where I bought them. Riff Raff came from a store where the birds were kept in small numbers in somewhat smaller cages, flying naturally with a broad spread of perches and a few toys, all young birds. Dr. Scott came from a very large cage with a central "tree" perch, a few toys, clipped too hard, with a very large number of other birds of varied ages. Not surprisingly, he was quite a biter and very skittish.

So tell me about your Budgies! What do you love about Budgies? How do you keep them? What do they eat? What do they think about your other bird(s)? What toys do they favour? What do you think is absolutely essential for Budgies to have?

Budgie Geek On!

:D
-MissK
-MissK
MissK

Re: A Thread For Budgie Fans

Post by MissK »

A dud toy turns out not so bad ~

The Budgies have had a large bead hanging from a branch in their cage since January, on a foot long cord, about chest high from the grate. They're never touched it. Recently I moved a long fir perch nearby, and today Dr. Scott is just a-trying to pull that cord down from his relocated perch. It gets better - he's standing on the grate, pounding the bead, and going up where it hangs and attacking the cord. Like all of a sudden he figured out it was there. :D

We've also discovered that Riff Raff loves fresh popcorn more than anything. (It was ugly for Dr. Scott!)

-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Don't you just love when a bird discovers a toy that's been there forever like they're seeing it for the first time? :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom »

I love budgies! I have four of them. Phoebe and Fredrik live in one house. Skyler and Alexander live in another. This is because Phoebe and Skyler do not get along very well. They seem to be happy this way though.

Fredrik is my handsome little boy. He is a seven year old albino. Because of his albinism our vet thinks he has some vision problems and other issues. He is pretty much incapable of flight, and he cannot run, he waddles. He is extremely sweet and cuddly. He used to have a cage mate named Zoey. Zoey was my first bird, my little princess. Sadly she died in December 2011. That is when Phoebe came to live with us. Fred is in love with my Quaker parrot, Sam.

Phoebe is very interesting. She is extremely smart but very cautious. She still will not step up onto a finger from her house. Instead I pick her up with her special perch. I won't force her, it is her choice. She absolutely loves to chew on things. Her favorite toys are the small birdie pinatas. She also has an amazing talent of unlatching the budgie seed blocks and moving them around her house with out breaking them. We find them everywhere they are not supposed to be. She absolutely hates having her feet touched. She is an olive dominate pied.

Alexander is a new member of the household. He is a very shy bird. He is curious though. He loves to leave his house and climb up to the top of the window and stare outside. He loves to chew on straw-like toys. Alex is a green diluted- greywing.

Skyler is a very panicked budgie. She is very sweet, but I think her own shadow could frighten her. She was clipped when I got her and instead of flying she popped. Even with some flight feathers now, she still pops. Because of this behavior her nickname is popcorn. She likes to lay down in my hands and snuggle under my chin while watching television. Skyler is a sky blue, yellow face.

The favorite treat of my budgies is defiantly broccoli. Fred is a big fan of peas, and corn. Fruit wise, they like a little bit of apple. Phoebe loves noodles. Of course they all like millet, but they would throw it aside if broccoli is offered. :D

That is my budgie group!

-Joey's Mom
-Joey's Mom
MissK

Post by MissK »

It's great to hear about your Budgie flock! I'd love to see a photo of Alexander, in case you have solved the mystery of what mutation Dr. Scott has.......

Thanks for the suggestion of broccoli - I confess the Budgies tend to get what the Ringneck is having, and he isn't a broccoli fan. We'll retry it!

Skye's_crew, isn't it the truth. I swear Rocky had his bell six months before I heard it ring!

-MissK
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I must confess...twice now I have gone back to look at two pale blue English Budgies that I absolutely adore. MissK firmly planted the seed in my head. Give me a lesson in everything I need to know about budgies. I had a parakeet when I was little, other than that its been finches and larger birds. I need to make a decision soon before they are gone :D

ranechild

Post by ranechild »

I've been looking at English budgies... there are a bunch of babies at the Bird store 10 minutes from my work... admittedly, sometimes I go down there in the middle of the day to coo over babies.
(There are also a whole bunch of cockatiel babies and I want one. They are SO SOFT!!!)
But my boyfriend and I agree that one baby is enough right now... maybe next year :)
ranechild

Post by ranechild »

Just now I was reading another thread...
Right now there is NO room for any more birds. That's what hubby said. But I still think there's room if I just wiggle two cages a bit closer and don't worry about opening the closet in that room
Hmmm... I wonder who said that....
JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom »

Some Budgie Info:

I know that English budgies are bigger than "American" budgies. Mine are not English but as far as I know the personality is pretty much the same. I have done a lot of reading on budgies (and some experience :wink: ). The English budgie is about 10-20 grams heavier than the "American".

Budgies do have a preference for seed. They are notorious for being "seed only" eaters. But this does not have to be the case. Even though my budgies do eat a lot of seed, it does not make up all of their diet. Budgies love grains, egg, fruit, and especially veggies. Mine are big broccoli fans, but they also like most of the green veggies. They also enjoy seed sprouts. Some people even have success feeding pellets. It all depends on the budgie and their owner!

Budgies like to bathe. Some (like my Fredrik) prefer to soak in a tub. Some budgies like to roll around in wet cabbage or lettuce leaves. A bathing budgie is one of the cutest things. I occasionally make a special treat I call a Broccoli Bath. I fill a small tub with lettuce leaves, then sprinkle in chunks of broccoli. What follows is very interesting. :D

Although they are small, budgies have very big personalities. Budgies are very curious and love to play. They all have different play styles. Some like mirrors and bells, while others love to shred things. They also do not understand that they are a small bird. I think Fred believes he is as large as my Quaker. They are very spunky little birds. Budgies are also excellent fliers. They are very fast.

They have a lovely (in my opinion) chirp. I love listening to them talk to each other during the day. Even their high pitched squeaks and squawks I find enjoyable. It lets me know they are happy. Of course, some budgies can talk. They can also be very friendly and love to snuggle. If they are trained/tamed they will go on your finger and enjoy just being with you. Of course, separation of cage mates normally results in contact calling.

One thing I have noticed is that they tend to have night-frights. Every once in a while I hear them get into a panic and start thrashing about. A small night light seems to help this. I love my budgies and enjoy their company! They really are wonderful little birds!

-Joeys Mom

Edit: I will post a picture of Alexander later :)
-Joey's Mom
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

ranechild wrote:Just now I was reading another thread...
Right now there is NO room for any more birds. That's what hubby said. But I still think there's room if I just wiggle two cages a bit closer and don't worry about opening the closet in that room
Hmmm... I wonder who said that....

I have no idea what you're talking about :roll:

I was actually thinking about finally completing the enclosed lanai outside and putting the budgies out there. Can they tolerate the temp going down to 55 at night in the winter?

Thank you JoeysMom...that was very insightful. Exactly what does happen in a lettuce and broccoli bath lol.

JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom »

During the broccoli bath the budgies "bob" for broccoli. They also become really excited. Sometimes this excitement goes a little to far. Fred nearly was drowned by his partner (he wasn't really near death). Zoey had flipped Fredrik over on his back, stood on his tummy, and continued to eat the broccoli :shock: . He was like a Fred island in the middle of lettuce and floating broccoli. By the time the bath is done, there is broccoli and lettuce everywhere. Sometimes a budgie will emerge coated in broccoli bits. Then they will preen and eat (best of both worlds, right?) It can be messy, but they love it so much! :mrgreen:

I am not sure about the temperature. Some do okay with the cooler temps, others do not. Mine are kept inside, so I have little information on the subject.
-Joey's Mom
ranechild

Post by ranechild »

I know Camo the QP can survive at 55 degrees. We had some cold times last winter.... One morning I woke up and the door had blown open-- 48 degrees in the living room.
Budgie... Dunno
JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom »

Here is Alex. He does not like the camera. He absolutely refused to turn around so I could get a picture of his back and markings.

-Joey's Mom
MissK

Post by MissK »

*I am under the impression that 55 is OK if they have been acclimated to it over time - but for the love of goodness, don't count on me there! Note to Ranechild: Lock the door at night! :o One person at the actual Budgie forum reported seeing a small flock in SouthEast TExas, and we know they live in Florida, somewhere.

*Bathing in your food - warm chocolate bath, anyone? Actually, my two had a bath in their kale today - as it was hanging there. They had to take turns and got surprisingly wet. All those nooks and crannies hold a lot of water, to a Budgie. They have also a hang on cage Canary type bath (second hand from a Canary, go figure!) and while I see them hop in to drink, I've never yet seen them bathe there. :P

*If you want those two blue English ones, you better get them in the morning. "Being Strong" isn't the only reason I didn't get that white one. :oops: Glad to see you coming to your senses....... :lol:

Joey'sMom, thanks for the run down. I was very interested to hear they are prone to night fright! Riff Raff had a series of them, all on just one night. I was concerned there was an unauthorized creature in the house scaring her! She busted right out of the cage through her bathtub! I left a light on for her that night, but only just then. She has not been troubled again, that I know of.

About keeping Budgies, I would add that it seems sensible to me to arrange their cage with as much care as you would that of a larger, so called "more intelligent" bird. In my opinion, it's easier to make a Budgie Paradise, since everything is smaller in scale. I noticed that my pet store baby Budgies took a long time to settle into the home and begin using the resources I provided them. However, once they did begin, I was keen to note they prefer the stuff I made them out of natural and "more natural" (like cotton cloth) materials over the contrived plastic stuff I thought they needed. Mine really, really like traveling on foot and beak, great acrobats, between closely placed branches/vines/ropes. A close second is shredding the "bark" from grape and kiwi vines.

I learned (a little late) that baby female Budgies are thought to exhibit a white chalkiness about the nostrils, and the males not, before they are old enough to sex by cere colour. Whether it is coincidence I cannot say, but it did hold true for my pair. I have heard it said that female Budgies are more bossy and prone to bickering, especially in same sex groups, but having what I have, I cannot speak to that. Perhaps Vinay will come by to let us know more! Also of note, for Vinay to confirm or deny, I understand that Budgies prefer to be in or near a group before their thoughts turn to making babies. Six was the magic number I heard, but wouldn't take any chances. My research indicates that wild Budgies are prompted into breeding condition *rapidly* following a good rain (which they don't always get, wild) as they enjoy the explosion of food that follows. In a caged Budgie's land of abundance, it would seem prudent to keep the flock numbers down. **I was not able to learn whether they will accept ANY flock of birds to put them in the mood, or if it must be Budgies.

As I mentioned earlier, my birds came from different pet store backgrounds. I would recommend checking the wing clip (if any) on any potential Budgie purchase. While it could come down to individual personality, I notice the one who was tragically overclipped is shy of human contact and less likely to fly, even after all this time. He also never does flapping exercises. There were many other differences, but still, that clip could not have helped any......

The vitality of a well-accommodated Budgie cannot be suppressed. It is my opinion that the presence of Budgies will soothe a headache, unless the ache was actually caused by their rowdy noise in the first place. Could go either way, sometimes. :roll: I doubt anyone keeping a Cockatoo would complain.

Last, but not least, it may be time to order a set of bumper stickers that say "My other parrot is a Budgie!"

-MIssK

Oh, and a link:
http://budgiesareawesome.blogspot.com/2 ... igars.html
-MissK
MissK

Post by MissK »

Dr. Scott and Alexander ~

It's the same look. Dr. Scott has mostly grey flights, but there is some hint of yellow there. The purple cheek feathers are not very dark. His long tail is a blueish grey. His normal Budgie markings are in grey instead of black.

Twins!

-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
vinayv92

Post by vinayv92 »

Hello everyone , I finally managed to get my eyes on the budgie thread :D

I'm Vinay and I own 20 budgies . I'm kind of a novice hobby breeder having bred 3 clutches (11 babies in total ) this year . I don't intend to breed again , I just did it to see how it is and get some experience . I really love reading about mutations and different colours . Up until now I've only read about budgies , lovebirds and tiels .I used to have 2 IRN females for about 6 years until I had to give them away :(. I got my first IRN after 4 long years about a week back , Sky who sparked up my interest in IRNs as well :p .

My flock contains both 'English' and 'American' budgies , though appropriately they should be called 'show/exhibition' and 'normal/wild-type' budgies. The exhibition ones in my opinion are calmer , being much easier to tame . Its not a given as my most tame budgie is a normal green . The bigger guys also dont bite as hard but unfortunately have shorter lifespans.

The only issue with them is that they're fearless when it comes to other birds . They're generally really cocky and curious , not being afraid to take on my lovebird, tiel and even IRNs I had in the past . One little nip and you have a missing beak or a foot . Keeping them away from my other birds is a major challenge .

Well once you have more than 4 budgies , you become open to taking on much much more . I can never seem to get enough of these little guys .

Talking about their resistance to temperature , I live in Dubai . My budgies are all housed outside in flight cage . They all seem to do fine in the heat as long as theres no direct sunlight on them and if a bowl of water for them to bathe in is provided . It can get really hot in the summer that is June , July , August , Sept at times going up to 50 plus degrees . I'd say our feral IRNs and Alexandrines do even better , breeding and thriving in these extreme conditions .

The budgie in the pic looks a light-green greywing . They usually have grey wing markings , lighter cheek patches and a diluted body colour .
MissK

Post by MissK »

Well, I'm so glad you could come into this thread, Vinay! :D

And I'm happy to hear Dr. Scott (and Alexander!) are dilute greywings. I had ID'd the greywing part, but didn't know how to call the lighter body colour for sure. I am going to venture to say that Riff Raff is the same type mutation, though she is grey/blue instead of yellow/green. She's grey on her back, blue-ish grey underneath. Her tail is dark grey, and I think her wings are a soft white, under the grey markings. She's so beautiful. Based on her not-blue/violet cheek patches and her grey/not blue tail, I think she is dilute grey greywing.

Actually, it's because of Riff Raff I'm keeping Budgies now! When I saw her, I simply could not leave her there.

Vinay, which would you say is louder, six Budgies or two Ringnecks? :lol:

-MissK

ALSO: Vinay will have seen this, but someone has made a fantastic Budgie Mutation Guide - http://cutelittlebirdiesaviary.weebly.c ... guide.html
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Wow...so many budgie mutations. Cool :D I went to the store last night and the two English were gone, but there is a new little white and blue pied baby I like. I'm working the hubby as we speak. Ill let you know if he gives in. It may mean giving up my lutino alexandrine this upcoming breeding season. We are in negotiations :mrgreen:

MissK

Post by MissK »

Wow.

One more Psittacula and you'll have to learn Hindi!

Don't forget you can see a breeder for the perfect mutation. Come to think of it, so could I............. Hmmmm.

-MissK
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Pot....kettle...black

JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom »

@MissK: I am glad I was able to help you identify Dr. Scott. Alex is definitely his twin. The link to the mutations guide was great. Really informative! :D

-Joeys Mom
-Joey's Mom
vinayv92

Post by vinayv92 »

@ MissK : 6 budgies have nothing on 2 IRNs having a screaming match :P . Yeah , but while IRNs only screech a few times , the budgies keep chirping away all day . So at the end of the day , its about even I'd say .

@ Skyes Crew : I've always wanted an Alexandrine . I just passed up on taking a baby and I feel terrible . I felt it wouldn't be right since I only got my IRN a few days back . Get the Alexandrine ! They love licking your fingers :P
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

vinayv92 wrote:@ MissK : 6 budgies have nothing on 2 IRNs having a screaming match :P . Yeah , but while IRNs only screech a few times , the budgies keep chirping away all day . So at the end of the day , its about even I'd say .

@ Skyes Crew : I've always wanted an Alexandrine . I just passed up on taking a baby and I feel terrible . I felt it wouldn't be right since I only got my IRN a few days back . Get the Alexandrine ! They love licking your fingers :P
Oh I know lol. I already have one pet alexandrine and just recently came into some breeding pairs. But I have my eye on Lutino's and my husband has set limits. So as much as I want the budgies I think I'm going to hold off for now. My three cockatiel breeding pairs are coming into season and ill have my hands full soon with them and then it's on to psittacula breeding season. Why did you pass on the Alex? They are such sweet companions. My boy is very quiet. Loves to be with the family. He's not bothered by a lot of activity at all. Such a wonderful species. :D

Jen&Bug

Post by Jen&Bug »

A budgie thread! Cool! I'm another big fan.

I first fell for budgies (apparently) when I was two years old, and we went to visit an old man who had a pair of them. My parents said I could have one when I turned six, and I kept reminding them until my sixth birthday! I can still remember the excitement of going to the breeder and picking out my fat little blue boy, Budge (not the most imaginative name I know, but hey, I was six). My mum has kept a poem I wrote about him in Grade 1, which clearly shows it was love at first sight.

Budge lived with my family for fourteen years. He was the only real pet we ever had (goldfish etc notwithstanding), so he was absolutely part of the family. He had an enormous, eccentric vocabulary, and many quirky habits which kept everyone entertained (including enjoying a "silverbeet bath"!) For a little guy, the contribution he made to our household was enormous. He was there for our whole crazy journey through childhood to adulthood, and my brother and I had both left home by the time he crossed the Rainbow Bridge.

I tell this story to reinforce that budgies should not be underestimated! They have a way of getting into your heart that you wouldn't expect for a little, apparently inconsequential pet. The budgie story in our family has just started a new chapter, as my father-in-law (not usually a pet lover) has recently inherited a budgie called Scruffy from a friend, and is completely besotted with him. The irresistible charm of the budgie strikes again!

Our own household is currently well above its quota of critters (no, really, I couldn't possibly :) ), but if a space ever opened up, a budgie would definitely be a contender to fill it.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Great story, Jen!

We, uh..... We want the poem!

-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I second that!! We want the poem :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Yes. Jen, share your poem! I can't handle the antici.....pa......Tion
MissK

Post by MissK »

:lol:
-MissK
Jen&Bug

Post by Jen&Bug »

Ok, you asked for it...six-year-old Jen combining her love of birds and love of words for the first time....

Budge is mine, he is cute
He is not a little brute
Budge is mine, he's divine
And he's so, so kind.

It was accompanied by a crayon drawing that did look something like a budgie, although nothing to rival recent artistic efforts posted on the forum! :)
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Aw that's so cute! I love it.
MissK

Post by MissK »

I love it, too, and it's really very good! It says more than it says, you know? Better than I did at six! (Nothing extant, so don't ask.)_
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Aww Jen that's too cute :D

Jen&Bug

Post by Jen&Bug »

Thanks guys :)
MissK

Post by MissK »

Dr. Scott comes into his own~

Today I realize Dr. Scott has experienced some kind of shift in perspective. Recently he started beating up on a hanging bead, that I told you about. Today I caught him beating up on his swing! This was really funny. It's about 8 inches long, hangs from the standard two vertical wires, swings just back and forth, not one of those crazy all over the place ones. He was just hanging on the wall and bopping it for all he was worth.

And he has taken a more energetic interest in the beads and balls I have integrated in one of the slack cord perches. He came from the pet store in January, so he's not quite a year old yet. I had kind of expected him to be all grown up by now, but I guess he wasn't!

Rock on, Dr. Scott!
-MissK
MissK

Post by MissK »

Riff Raff expresses her opinion~

Yesterday my IRN, Rocky, was again investigating the Budgie cage. I have an extra cage grate on top the Budgie cage to put some extra space between them when Rocky comes to visit, but seems it needs to be increased.........

Rocky was on top the cage, making a mild display and singing the "I'm justa crazy Ringneck Boy" song for Riff Raff. Little Riff was inside, looking up at him, making a little sound I am not used to hearing from her, little soft tweets, kind of, and I thought she was flirting with him.

"Great", I thought, "the love that was not allowed to be." They could not reach far enough to get their beaks together, so Rocky stuck his foot in towards Riff Raff.

That's when she bit him.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rocky did let out a squawk, and I shooed him away. Guess I'm going to be raising that grate. Also, I had an idea for a Ringneck-proof barrier around the Budgies. I've had a few thoughts on this, but nothing I really wanted to put into practice. Now I'm thinking clear shower curtain! I can hang it from the grate on top the cage, which is bigger than the top, so it stands away from the actual cage, safe from nibbles. Then when Rocky is out, I can just draw it around the Budgies. OK, it needs work. But I think it's the best idea yet.
-MissK
Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

Oh Missk, why did you start a budgie thread :wink: ! Will I ever own those wonderful cuteys again, sigh.....

Just recently I was sitting outdoors next to Kiwi and Coco's cages, when suddenly out of nowhere I see a green budgie on the floor next to the cages eating the bits of dropped food around! Where did this budgie come from! No idea, I didn't see it landing right next to me, like it dropped from the sky! I put more seed out for him and he kept on eating and I managed to towel him and put him in a small cage, my previous budgies cage. He was such an active little dude, always busy, eating, playing, singing etc. He would even tunnel under the newspaper that lined the cage! I kept him for 2 days and on the 3rd day I put the cage out in the sun and guess what he did after a while! He opened the cage door himself and flew away :( . That was the end of that clever little bird, and my hopes of having budgies finally, hope he went back to his home.

Ash
MissK

Post by MissK »

It's not a bad little story, your Budgie who came to visit! :D

And you know that's probably how he came to be wandering around in the first place. He might go home, and then, he might come back.

I don't want to make trouble, but you know it's very easy to keep a Budgie..... And they're everywhere..... it's as easy as going out and finding the one you love......
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Oh dear, I really shouldn't follow this thread. I want a pair of budgies now!
Dave has already taught Nila a couple words in budgie, so Nila would be able to talk to them a little.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

See what you have done to us MissK? :mrgreen:

MissK

Post by MissK »

Don't blame the messenger.
-MissK
Melika

Post by Melika »

For skeptical parrot owners who've never had budgies: Can budgies talk? Oh yes, yes indeed they can. Meet the bird with the largest known vocabulary in the world. 8)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Would that be disco by any chance :D

MissK

Post by MissK »

The Noise Level Rises ~

Wow, what a morning with the Budgies today!!!! I kept them up late last night, and have implemented an "early dawn" in the Living Room to provide a 13 hour day for the Ringneck as winter shortens our natural day. Perhaps it is for this reason, or perhaps something else, that they are so noisy today.

I gave them wet leaves to quiet them down, but it didn't last.

It's hard to know what's happening in the Budgie cage. Dr. Scott clearly is infatuated with his mirror. Riff Raff obviously feels in charge of the entire cage. They were sitting today as far from each other as possible, and yet I just saw a little kissing going on. They're both doing more flapping and flying than I seem to think is customary. Their cage is spacious, but I wonder if they want more.

And what's up with this - Dr. Scott seems to always be having his head fluffed up and squawking about something lately, while Riff Raff seems more chilled, with her head and body smooth. He likes to sit with his cheek on his mirror. Sometimes I think the good Doctor is just crazy.

Last night, during Rocky's bedtime soliloquey, I swear I head a Budgie sound. I wonder what ancient memories of Budgies in his past are brought forward by sharing the room with Riff Raff and Dr. Scott.
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I think you should have been a writer :D

MissK

Post by MissK »

Heeeeeey, what is this I'm doing here?

-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Not getting paid....that's what :D

Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

MissK wrote:It's not a bad little story, your Budgie who came to visit! :D

And you know that's probably how he came to be wandering around in the first place. He might go home, and then, he might come back.

I don't want to make trouble, but you know it's very easy to keep a Budgie..... And they're everywhere..... it's as easy as going out and finding the one you love......
You right Missk, he was exactly the same colour as my Cocky was, and Cocky lay buried next to a rose bush just next to where this budgie came out of nowhere!

Yes, I know its very easy to keep a budgie, but with Kiwi having the entire bird room as his and Coco's cage, I will have to get a very spacious one for my budgies, and that is out of my budget at the moment.

Yes, you should be a writer, Missk

Ash
JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom »

MissK wrote:The Noise Level Rises ~

Wow, what a morning with the Budgies today!!!! I kept them up late last night, and have implemented an "early dawn" in the Living Room to provide a 13 hour day for the Ringneck as winter shortens our natural day. Perhaps it is for this reason, or perhaps something else, that they are so noisy today.

I gave them wet leaves to quiet them down, but it didn't last.

It's hard to know what's happening in the Budgie cage. Dr. Scott clearly is infatuated with his mirror. Riff Raff obviously feels in charge of the entire cage. They were sitting today as far from each other as possible, and yet I just saw a little kissing going on. They're both doing more flapping and flying than I seem to think is customary. Their cage is spacious, but I wonder if they want more.

And what's up with this - Dr. Scott seems to always be having his head fluffed up and squawking about something lately, while Riff Raff seems more chilled, with her head and body smooth. He likes to sit with his cheek on his mirror. Sometimes I think the good Doctor is just crazy.

Last night, during Rocky's bedtime soliloquey, I swear I head a Budgie sound. I wonder what ancient memories of Budgies in his past are brought forward by sharing the room with Riff Raff and Dr. Scott.
It is like a budgie soap opera! I hear budgie sounds all the time from birds that are not budgies (yes I am looking at you, Joey and Sam). I think sometimes when the budgies get in the mood and start kissing they become embarrassed when they notice they are being watched. Skyler will smack Alex across the beak like, "Ew! Get away! I did not give you permission to touch me!!".

I think the fluffy head and squawking is a male thing. Both Fred and Alex do this. It can get so loud between the two of them, you would think I had twenty budgies (that would be awesome, btw).

I love the budgie stories, Missk! :lol: :D

-Joeys Mom
-Joey's Mom
vinayv92

Post by vinayv92 »

It can get so loud between the two of them, you would think I had twenty budgies (that would be awesome, btw).
Hahaha well I have 20 budgies and trust me , they're LOUD. I have a peachfaced lovebird who also sounds exactly like budgie albeit 3 times louder :P . Throw in 2 cockatiels and an IRN screaming and thats my flat :D . Its impossible for me to sleep after 5 am :| .

I've also noticed that budgie males love the company of each other much more than any of the girls . Even my most bonded pairs seem to split up in a flock forming duos and trios of boys jumping around . :lol:
MissK

Post by MissK »

Thank you, Joey's Mom.

I just don't want Rocky practicing an annoyed Budgie noise at his volume!

Vinay, I will *not* have 20 Budgies. You cured me!
-MissK