Mutation of my bird ?

Moderator: Mods

vinayv92

Mutation of my bird ?

Post by vinayv92 »

Hello everyone :)

I just joined this forum yesterday . I bought my ringneck parakeet a few days back. I've never seen a ringneck like it before . The city where I live in (Dubai) mostly sells only the normal wild-type green which are usually wild-caught and imported from India/pakistan. Occasionally I do chance upon a lutino or a blue violet but none like the one I bought and are extremely overpriced . After going online and researching for a bit , i think it is a clearhead/cleartail ? I had no idea the so many mutations existed in IRNs . I'm much more familiar with budgies and their mutations . I'm looking forward to learning much more about IRNs on here :)

i really dont know how to post pics , the attachment thing isnt working and neither is the photobucket link :oops:
Vinay
sheyd

Re: Mutation of my bird ?

Post by sheyd »

You can send me the pic to me
Last edited by sheyd on Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
vinayv92

Post by vinayv92 »

Thank you so much :) .
Will send you the pics in a bit .
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

pics for vinay (who has apologized in advance for the low qual mobile pics)

Looks like a Pallid in these- with some kind of pied markings on the wings- might be better if you could get some other shots with your camera when it is charged, as it is hard to tell much with the light and low res pics. It is an interesting bird..and am interested in what everyone else has to say.
SCB 22

Post by SCB 22 »

It does look like a pallid... As alot of the guys always ask, when unusual pied like marking come up, has the bird been tested for PBFD? As that can cause the usual feather colouring :-) but molossus and johan and all the regulars are waaaaay better at the mutations than me :-) curious to see what they all think :-)
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

more pics of Vinay's

vinayv92

Post by vinayv92 »

Thank with the pictures Shey :) .
You guys mentioned its some kind of pallid . What does the mutation do to the colour of the bird ?
What is its mode of inheritance?

It would be helpful if someone could post a picture of a similar bird to compare . :)
SCB 22

Post by SCB 22 »

Hi there, will post some pics in a bit of a blue pallid i bred 2 years ago, he is a male, but his ring has not come through yet, but you will get the idea of what a pallid looks like, lovely birds, you will also note where your bird is different to the normal pallid. Has your bird been vet checked, and do you by any chance know the colour of the parents of the bird?

Here are one or 2 pics, have asked my friend who has the bird to send me a few more to upload so you can see them clearly :

Mad Max

Post by Mad Max »

Hi Vinayv92

The scruffy chest feathers tells me the bird is not to healthy , I would have a vet look at this bird urgently
How old is the bird ?

It looks like a Blue Pied Pallid , But the Pied part could also be a resault of the bird not beeing well.(PBFD or Kidney disorder)If kidney is the problem it should moult out with the next moult .

Good luck with
vinayv92

Post by vinayv92 »

I understand the concern , but the bird's previous owner did get it checked out a couple of weeks earlier . He even showed me the papers from the vet's . I was worried it could be sick too . Behaviour wise, it seems perfectly healthy . I'll still go to the vet to make sure :) . I hope nothing is wrong with it but it doesn't hurt to check again .

@SCB 22- My bird does look a lot similar to the pics of the one you posted except for the pied markings in question . Did your male also have clear tail feathers ?
I have no idea about the parents .
SCB 22

Post by SCB 22 »

Hi Vinay, does the vet paperwork specifically say it has been tested for PBFD? As that is the main thing we would be looking for as it affects the colours... Offhand i cant remember the colour of the pallids tail, thats why i have asked my friend for more pics and I will post them up when i receive them... Parentage would have also given an indication of whether the marking was illness, or genetics related, do you know who bred the birds, perhaps through the previous owner?

Here are more pics - i do note though that although your birds tail feathers are mostly white, they are not all white, like it would appear with a clear head / clear tail mutation, as the tops of the feathers are the light blue, and i notice one feather does go down quite far with the blue. My males tail is the light blue.

Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Vinay,

Can you ask the breeder what the parents were?

ALso, can you get a pic of his wing open?

& Yes, some pallids have almost clear tails
see pic
http://parakeet.me/irn/f/indigoplds.jpg

I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
SCB 22

Post by SCB 22 »

Hi Ring0neck, so i would be correct in saying that the tail of Vinay's bird has too much blue and colouring on for it to be clear head / clear tail? It looks more to be a pallid of sorts?
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

SCB

Not much to do with the tail, some of my Cleartails have more color on their tails then the pallid i shown in above pic.

This bird is not Cleartail because it does not look like one.
The fact that it has a white head and probably is a young bird also tells you it's a pallid,
CLeartails hens do not have a white head !

CLeartails males do not have a white head when young, white head => mature male whwt

Here are 2; 2012 Cleartails , grey hen & blue male, (he will have a whiter head after his second molt)

http://parakeet.me/irn/f/tailz.jpg

As you can see looking at the chest of the CT blue you can see how a CT looks like compared to a flat color on Pallid's chest

*** Back to the bird in Question: 1 posibility: this bird is close to molting and that piedness will dissapear after molt.
I wanted to see the wing open as i was thinking pallid-opaline crossover (nothing to do with piedness)

I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Here is a pic of my Pallid hen's tail: Image
I thought perhaps she might get coloured tail feathers after her molt at the end of the year-but have since learnt that there are several types (of Pallid) and not all will have a self coloured tail.

The colouring (bar the 'piedness') on your bird reminds me of a Cobalt Pallid hen I saw a while back.
vinayv92

Post by vinayv92 »

Thank you for the response everyone .

I have scheduled an appointment with my vet to run the PBFD tests . I decided its not worth taking the risk and just want to make sure the bird is in good health .

The patchy markings seem to be confined only to the bird's wings and back. I don't see the markings anywhere else on its body .

The bird also has a bright blue tail feather beneath the longer white feather .

As for its parentage , its did ask its previous owner but all he could tell me was that it was an aviary bred bird . The breeder wasn't too versed with genetic and just called them all 'rare blues' .

I will try to get pictures of its wing open , but I doubt it will help much since the breeder clipped it quite badly . I'll mostly have to wait till the bird goes through a moult to get any pics of use.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

vinayv92 wrote:Thank you for the response everyone .

I have scheduled an appointment with my vet to run the PBFD tests . I decided its not worth taking the risk and just want to make sure the bird is in good health .
How'd you go?
vinayv92

Post by vinayv92 »

Well I finally got the results from her tests a few days back and it seems shes disease-free :D .
The vet said that shes in good health apart from the poor feather condition due to the lack of a good diet and general hygiene by the previous owners . I also think shes going through a moult atm , as shes lost quite a few feathers including a primary flight and a tail feather .

So by now I presume shes a pallid ?
Could the discolouration on her wings be some form of pied or induced from the environment ?
I'm looking forward to finally figuring out her mutation :) .