Hello from Long Island NY

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Azballa7

Hello from Long Island NY

Post by Azballa7 »

Don't currently have a IRN right now due to my living situation (Landlord does not allow pets). Once I move to a pet friendly apartment, hopefully I can get my very first IRN! Until that time comes I will be surfing the webs and forums heavily to learn as much as possible about these birds.

Anyone from the Long Island NY area with IRN's?
MissK

Re: Hello from Long Island NY

Post by MissK »

Hi and Welcome. I'm in Baltimore. I'm sure you'll learn a lot here, but it would be best if you could spend some time with an IRN in it's home environment. They are fabulous, but would not be my first choice for an apartment bird. Some of them are noisy and some are quiet, but on average I wouldn't want to live next door to one in an apartment. Good for you for doing research ahead of time!

-MissK
-MissK
Doodlebug

Post by Doodlebug »

Hey there, welcome.

My landlady does state in my contract no pets too but I don't think birds are particularly smelly or destructive to the decor (nothing too bad anyway!) so I have chosen to conveniently forget about that part, along with the part where it says I have to wash all the windows inside and out every month lol!!

I am in a house though but I think if I pay the amount she is asking for plus accept the increases she puts on every year then the least she can do is allow me a small cute birdy :)

Loo :)
ranechild

Post by ranechild »

I like you perspective Loo :D
I'm in Bmore too. I actually went to Brooklyn to get my IRN. (He was shipped into JFK from Alabama I think).
Welcome!
Azballa7

Post by Azballa7 »

MissK wrote:Hi and Welcome. I'm in Baltimore. I'm sure you'll learn a lot here, but it would be best if you could spend some time with an IRN in it's home environment. They are fabulous, but would not be my first choice for an apartment bird. Some of them are noisy and some are quiet, but on average I wouldn't want to live next door to one in an apartment. Good for you for doing research ahead of time!

-MissK
Oh really are they that noisey?? Hmmm I have also been leaning towards getting a cockatiel but idk....the IRN still has the number 1 spot. I will just have to wait and see where I end up moving to and if a bird would be acceptable.

Thanks!
Azballa7

Post by Azballa7 »

ranechild wrote:I like you perspective Loo :D
I'm in Bmore too. I actually went to Brooklyn to get my IRN. (He was shipped into JFK from Alabama I think).
Welcome!
How did you go about purchasing a bird that you never got to physically handle or see?? Was it hard to do?? I personally feel like I could not buy a bird unless I saw it in person.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Doodlebug wrote:Hey there, welcome.

My landlady does state in my contract no pets too but I don't think birds are particularly smelly or destructive to the decor (nothing too bad anyway!) so I have chosen to conveniently forget about that part, along with the part where it says I have to wash all the windows inside and out every month lol!!

I am in a house though but I think if I pay the amount she is asking for plus accept the increases she puts on every year then the least she can do is allow me a small cute birdy :)

I like your style. We rent through a real estate agent and they always seem to lose paperwork so we haven't bothered to apply for the bird. They didn't even notice him when they did a house inspection one time when he was home... he's hard to miss too!
We live in a big house on a largish section, next to a noisy household so noise isn't a problem here.. or at least our bird is silent when compared to the neighbours dog...
Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

Welcome to the forum, IRNs can be noisy, some are quiet, I find my cockatiel noisier than the ringneck! But I suppose if you keep them busy with foraging opportunities they won't have much time to make noise.

Ash
MissK

Post by MissK »

About noise - Honestly, there is no substitute for personal experience. As mentioned, my Rocky is overall very quiet, but he does have some rowdy times. Those are the times (every day) that would have any close neighbors up in arms. I have been lucky to see a small number of IRNs in different home settings, and from the experience I can say each one seems to be individual. Perhaps it has to do with environment and tameness. One bird I saw was so harsh and noisy I was sure he wouldn't last a weekend at my house, and I am *very* tolerant. I was in the house an hour or more and he hardly shut up. The owner said he had improved a lot in the few years she had kept him. (!!!!!) I'm not saying you can't keep an IRN in an apartment (though I wouldn't) but that you should proceed with extreme caution if you try.

-MissK
-MissK