Broken Tail Feathers and Mimic Question

Moderator: Mods

JoeysMom

Broken Tail Feathers and Mimic Question

Post by JoeysMom »

In the past couple weeks Joey has managed to break every long tail feather he has. They have not bled or anything, it just looks terrible. He plays very rough with his toys and on his cage. He is like a little acrobat, hanging upside and swinging. He is about three months old, he eats a good diet (pellets, fruit, veggies, he is weaned), is this normal or something to worry about? I like letting him feel free and explore, but I don't want him to hurt himself.

Joey is also very vocal. In addition to his baby calls he has started to make a very similar noise to my Quaker Parrot Sammy. Sammy has a low pitched garbled speech that he does. He talks to his stuffed animals in this voice. Lately Joey has been making the same sounds in a higher pitched voice. They have also begun doing this back and forth, like they are having a conversation. Isn't he kind of young to be talking? Sam talked early, but that is typical of Quakers. I am not sure about Ringnecks, is this normal?

Thank you for any help/information you can provide.

-JoeysMom
-Joey's Mom
ranechild

Re: Broken Tail Feathers and Mimic Question

Post by ranechild »

I can't speak to the feathers, but my Fats is only 4 months old and he is almost perfectly imitating our Quaker Parrot--like you said, in a slightly higher pitch. It makes me laugh!!!
JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom »

Thanks! I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't my imagination that Joey was beginning to sound just like my Quaker. I am still worried about his tail feathers though. He is going to see his vet in a week, for his regular check up. I just hope that there is nothing wrong with him!
-Joey's Mom
MissK

Post by MissK »

Feathers broken in play should be just a cosmetic issue, unless they speak to a situation where the bird hasn't got enough room to maneuver or else inadequate keeping has led to weak feathers. You would see stress bars. Since you're already going to the vet, have them evaluate the feathers and ask about any sign of developmental problem there. In all likelihood, you just have a rambunctious bird.

-MissK
-MissK
JoeysMom

Post by JoeysMom »

Thank you for the input. Joey is rarely ever in his cage, only when he sleeps. He definitely has plenty of room. I am hoping that he is just an active and rambunctious baby! I hope the vet agrees! Thanks again!

-Joeys Mom
-Joey's Mom