Breeding season for the Top End?

Moderator: Mods

Pottset

Breeding season for the Top End?

Post by Pottset »

Hello :)

Just wondering if anyone knew when the breeding season starts in the Northern Territory? Is it earlier or later than the southern states?
Pottset

Re: Breeding season for the Top End?

Post by Pottset »

So I decided to add a nest box in to see what happened. Within 1 minute of me leaving the aviary they were over there poking their little heads in. By the 5 minute make they were in and exploring the box. That afternoon I caught one of my pairs mating.
dylbagz

Post by dylbagz »

In the Territory birds can and will breed all year round. Temperature is never too low, sunlight hours are always acceptable and if you offer them adequate food and water everyday, they will breed all year. Katherine and further south might see less/no action in the winter months as the temperature gets really low, especially at night (colder than where I am now in SEQ).

I've got experience breeding birds in the NT, grew up in Darwin, born in Katherine and my parents still live in Darwin with some of my birds.
Pottset

Post by Pottset »

Thanks dylbags, I knew cockatiels and budgies breed all year round here (altho I never breed them between nov/dec till April/may as it gets too hot) I was told that ringnecks have seasons, thats why I thought I would ask if anyone knew when that was for the Territory. Great to see another Territorian on here :) I was born and bred in Darwin
dylbagz

Post by dylbagz »

I have never bred ringnecks in Darwin, although my parents and one of my bestfriends have. Both can get them to successfully raise a clutch at any time during the year, but they often give the birds extended breaks through the hotter months. Seasons don't have that much variation in Darwin (other than the rain) in terms of max and min temps and daylight hours really, especially in comparison to down south. So it is possible if you have a good pair and you give them what they need.
Pottset

Post by Pottset »

So thought I would post an update, both of my pairs have been mating, feeding each other and I'm currently watching 1 of my pairs preening each other (very cute) They have been spending a bit of time in the boxes so hopefully it won't be long before the 1st egg makes an appearance :)
dylbagz

Post by dylbagz »

Told you champ. Well done
Pottset

Post by Pottset »

Thanks Dylbagz,

Nothing new to report. No eggs as yet but lots of mating from 1 pair (I cant really see the other aviary from indoors so I haven't witnessed any mating other pair other than the first few times I caught them after the nestbox went it) And both females have been in and out of the nests during the day.
RMG BIRDS

Post by RMG BIRDS »

I'm in Kuranda ( 15mins up the range near Cairns) and had my first egg laid on the 12/6/2013 so the season has started for me :D the still of my pairs are still mating etc.
Pottset

Post by Pottset »

Oh that's awesome, congratulations on your first egg RMG BIRDS!!! My parents live in Cooktown, so when I visit them I always pass thru Kuranda :) Beautiful place!
Pottset

Post by Pottset »

We have egg #1!! :D the 2nd pair have been mating a lot more so it won't be too much longer until they will lay
Pottset

Post by Pottset »

She laid 3 eggs, all were fertile, but the 1st one was an early DIS (there was air bubbles in the egg as well) the eggs should hatch next week. I haven't checked her box for over a week I'm just leaving her to it. My 2nd pair haven't laid yet, but plenty of mating still.