2 Fighting Birds! HELP!

Moderator: Mods

deHens

2 Fighting Birds! HELP!

Post by deHens »

Hey Guys,

Myself and my brother bought two 18 month old female yellow IRN's. They were bought from a breeder yesterday who had them in an aviary environment with other birds, including the parent (I think). The are sisters born by 2 green parents (a special gene) if that makes a difference. They were said to be fairly tame and we took them out yesterday and they were fine on our shoulders despite the occasional biting which we just said a firm no to (which I later found out was a bad thing).

Today we left them in a cage with each other together for about 6 hours today. When my parents got home they saw my bird (Dusty) biting the other very harshly. They put it in the other, smaller cage, and left it for a while and then when I got home we put it back with the other (Sunny).

This is the bad thing, is that the bad bird was still pecking at the other when it got near. The bad one would sit on the food bowl, it would fend the other off it got near. Then it sat there eating and it would puff the feathers around the neck up, thrown seed on the ground and making a chuffing sound, followed by a chirping. The bad one's pupils get really small and then it launches at the other, the other either fights back or walks away. It seems to be being territorial or something, but its really worrying and they are going to have to get used to each other in one cage or we may have to sell the bad one (worst case scenario, I really wouldn't like to).

*Edit*
Just after I've posted this they were doing it and I realised if I wistle or make a TTTTSSSSS sound, they stop and don't peck at each other, they just stay still and look at me.

What's going on with them?
How can I help them?
Can I do anything to stop them biting each other and myself?
What should I do when it is biting?

PLEASE HELP (fast), I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!
Mia!
Skyes_crew

Re: 2 Fighting Birds! HELP!

Post by Skyes_crew »

Unfortunately, two female IRN's can not be caged together. In an aviary setting they have plenty of room to avoid each other, but will still fight. In a cage, they will fight constantly and it could end up being the death of one of them. Females are very territorial. And female IRN's can be deadly, especially during breeding season. My advice is to cage them separately, let them out to play keeping a really good eye on them. And during breeding season, keep them separated completely. I'm sorry you weren't informed of this when you bought them. I hope you can get it resolved.
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

deHens

Post by deHens »

Hey,

Thanks for the reply, we only have a large cage and then a much smaller one, not very appropriate for a permanent cage. I think we may have to sell them or something.

Thanks very much for the response and we will try to deal with it.
Mia!
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Is there any chance you could get another cage? Or maybe build one? I would hate to think of those poor birds being rehomed again :(
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

deHens

Post by deHens »

We have a smaller cage which we have been segregating them in, when the bad one bites the other. We just put them back and the bad one just did the territorial call again, their not biting so thats ok.

Sorry, I don't think we can get another cage, very expensive. Its bedtime for them now so we may leave them. We are trying to do the best we can with what we have at the moment. We are trying our best not to re-home the bird but its not very good. She is being extremely territorial and I don't think we have any other options.

It doesn't seem like they can be with eachother in the same house, when ever we take the territorial one out, it gets annoyed because its not in its 'territory' so to speak. We will try to take them out as much as possible but they still bite us quite a lot (when there on our shoulders, they get us on the ear *ouch*).

We are already looking at our options on gumtree, it looks like we may have to re-home the poor thing.

Thanks for your concerns,
Dehens
Mia!
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Hey there,

Please don't think of Dusty as a 'bad' bird. When ringnecks get scared and can't fly away they bite to defend themselves. It is just instinct. It is best to let the bird come to you, give it some treats and let it check you out.
Birds need time to get to know you, just like you do. It's like meeting someone at the park, you might like them from the start, but you won't be best friends until you hang out with them more and get to know them.

There are some cheapish parrot cages on Ebay.com.au.
If you and your parents really don't want to keep the birds, and you only got the birds yesterday, you could try calling the breeder and talking to them about it.

It won't do one of the birds any harm to sleep in a small cage for the night, some people even put pet parrots in small cages at bedtime for various reasons. Just make sure there is a nice perch for her to sleep in.

Regards,
Claire
deHens

Post by deHens »

Hey,

Thanks, I don't really think it is a bad bird, I was more so saying that so it would be easier to write, otherwise some people may get confused. We were looking on gumtree (Australian pet equivalent of Ebay) and saw a nice green male that, their owner was also looking for a younger female (Dusty). I always wanted a green bird so we were thinking of that. The guy seems keen so we were thinking of an easy swap with that into a nice home.

We don't really want another cage, just because we don't have any ideal space to put another one, so we were thinking of selling it or swapping it. Personally, I am very sympathetic towards animals, particularly these new beautiful IRN's, we were trying to look at different options but just couldn't find any.

Just as a side note, the territorial behaviour, although sometimes aggressive, is very fascinating and quite amazing. Sunny was trying to sleep and Dusty was sitting close-by, screeching, trying to wake Sunny up and harass her. This species is quite interesting and I am looking forward to taming one and teaching it tricks and how to talk.

I love my new IRN's but I think we may have to sell/trade Dusty into a more pleasant environment, where it doesn't feel like it has to own the place.

Cheers,
Jack
Mia!
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

It might work to swap a hen for a cock. Most people I've talked to recommend introducing them very carefully, especially in a cage, there isn't much room in a cage for the cock to escape.
I don't want to sound too pessimistic, it's just something that one should be aware of with ringnecks.

There is a lot of good information on this forum about taming, preventing biting and how to introduce birds. I highly recommend doing as much reading as you can. I also recommend searching foraging.

They are brilliant little birds and are so amusing.

Goodluck
deHens

Post by deHens »

Yeah thanks, I was searching for a cock on the internet, someone ws offereing to swap the hen for a lovely tame green cock. I will do some reading up on introducing birds and a lot more. The problem is another hen, a male and female should do fine together in a cage.

Cheers,
Jack
Mia!
Redzone

Post by Redzone »

Jack, you really need to do some research, talk to some breeders, a female IRN will kill a male quick smart if she doesn't like him. And if she DOES like him, then you have to put in some serious effort to stop them breeding. Here in australia we are heading into breeding season so these birds are hormonal & on edge. I have talked to many breeders and they all have similar stories to tell, usually involving quite expensive birds killed by the female. You really need to keep the birds seperate while you work out if they are compatible, you can get a large cage for a small bird on ebay for about $70... This is really essential if you want to stop them breeding, and keep them both alive..
deHens

Post by deHens »

Thanks, I think we might just stick with the one female at the moment after we sell the territorial one, it seems to be a large effort just to keep them from not breeding or killing each other.

- Jack
Mia!
deHens

Post by deHens »

Yay!

We sold Dusy to a very good home, she has a sister who owns a ringneck and we set her up with the birdy! Sunny (now called Mia) is acting ok with the occasional squaks, she is still doing the territorial call a bit and biting but I think thats ok.

Thanks to everyone!

- Jack
Mia!
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Hey,

I'm glad you found a good home for her.

The calling is probably a contact call, which is how they keep in touch with their flock (ie you).