pictures of Deep and Dark Greens?

Moderator: Mods

Johan S

Re: pictures of Deep and Dark Greens?

Post by Johan S »

Willy, no green feathers present in the blue series birds. 2012 double factors to be reverse bred to blue to confirm they are that in 2014. Many pairs set up for producing df birds this coming season. We'll have to be patient. That's not my forte...
Carr.birds

Post by Carr.birds »

Willy

As mentioned before I bought the original imported "European" dgreen/turq hen. My other 'SA deep' birds are from Nico's stock but my 2 cocks are 'SA deep' blue sl edged and 'SA deep blue' dilute. I have another hen 'SA deep' green/blue/dilute.

If breeders in SA leave if to me for proof it will take a few years. I am not prepared to work with any other bird then the original imported hen mentioned above. I paired her with my breeding blue opaline cock for this season.

I am not convinced that SA dark are not present in some of Nico's birds bred after 2006/2007.

Tienie
madas

Post by madas »

Any one who could help me with my Problem resp. pics?
Chick is displaying black nails.

thx.
madas

Post by madas »

molossus wrote:Madas the baby certainly looks a normal green. any pic update ?
Nope. Not until today. I will taken new pics at the weekend.
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

madas wrote:Any one who could help me with my Problem resp. pics?
Chick is displaying black nails.

thx.
Sorry for not responding! I wanted to suggest waiting for the bird to get a little older first.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Kappa's sf Green Deep (Australian)

Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Molossus,
we gotta get a deep green in the same shot with a wildtype and dark.
if i acquire a deep green, i'd like to analise it very closely V wildtype

i think a video closeup of the 3, would also help ....

Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Pity there isn't a full body shot in natural light. It would give a better idea. Having said that, the tail is extremely light. This constantly surprises me. And I agree fully with Molossus; that picture taken with a flash would have had me bank my money on misty. Very interesting!

Thanks for the pics!
Kappa

Post by Kappa »

Hi molossus,
I have just emailed more photos to Ben of the deep green in natural light. I am 100% sure it is a deep green, I don't even know if there is any mist in oz. At least you don't hear anyone talking about misty mutations.
Cheers,
Kappa.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

I got more pics from Kappa will upload soon
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Kappa's pics of Deep Green
Firstly we need to see a deep blue offspring from these birds to confirm them as being deep,
i am not doubting Kappa, we just need to be 100% certain what we're looking at are indeed deep greens since they are so close to a wildtype how can one be sure the birds carry the deep mutation?

As Kappa said, he will try to get a wildtype green to compare birds in same shot (photo)
Very hard to tell the difference between Kappa's Deep Green male & a normal green. pics are very tricky, as Willy says; birds to compare should be taken in the same photo otherwise it's pointless.

sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Lee & Johan- what says to you that the bird/s in the pics with the flash look Misty? I have been trying to find pics and descriptions of Misty, and all I'm coming up with is that the body colour is dulled in appearance with normal-ish flights, tail and head. The sf & df Deep Greens posted above have a brown wash to them when a pic taken with a flash- is this a characteristic of Misty?

cheers.
Kappa

Post by Kappa »

Hi everyone,

I have been trying to find a normal green cock bird to take photos with my deep green, however none of the breeders I know keep them. I may have to resort to buying one.

In an update on my deep green male, I spoke to the original breeder of the bird yesterday, and asked wether or not he was breeding deep with the misty mutation, due to the bronze effect on my bird.
He said that he has never bred with misty to his knowledge. We then checked his breeding records and found that my deep was not from a cobalt and deep green as first thought. Records show that he is out of a olive (or df Aussie green cobalt as he put it) and a turquoise hen. He went on to say that it did in fact look different and he is still not sure what it was 100% as he has never seen one quite like it again. He only bred one clutch from him, and the following year the bird was attacked and died.

I also know the breeder that possibility has the full blood sister to my male, I will visit him on Monday and see what he knows, and if possible try and acquire her from him.
So the plot thickens.
Kappa.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

molossus wrote:Shady hi,
The misty does that under changing light conditions.
As you see from the pic earlier the head is green - ish whilst the body appears brown and the tail looks mauvish.
chicks are much easier to id as they do appear bronze green in the nestbox and change startlingly to almost normal green when moved to normal light. thankfully the df misty isn't such trouble and retain their bronze appearance.
as in the deep, the misty tail is lighter than the normal green or blue or violet.
there are blue mistys that have a greyish body and a blue head whilst there are also blue mistys that appear washed blue grey.
I will try to post some pics later.
Ah, thankyou so much for your explanation (and pics)- makes perfect sense now- and now I understand why you and Johan may believe my bird is Misty where as I couldn't see it before (depending on the light, bronze-ish for Green series and silver-ish for Blue series?).
I (as you know) have paired her up to a Green Cock who hopefully if split, is split for nothing but Blue.- but mustn't get too excited as Misty hasn't yet been officially identified in Oz yet- so don't want to get too excited lol 8)

Kappa- is it possible for you to take some more pics of your bird with flash and in different lighting?
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

here are a couple of pics that I took on either the first or second day of having the bird home- as you can see she appears brownish with the flash- this is how she appeared to me when I bought her- as I previously mentioned she was in a cage inside, and it was dark- they shone a light on her and she (for all intents and purposes) was sold to me as a Cinnamon Green. Well- I say it's easy to see why they (and me) thought that.

Kappa

Post by Kappa »

Hi Shey,

I have set up a photo bucket account and uploaded photos, but haven't worked out how to link them over to the forum. As soon as i work it out it will post them. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Kappa.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Kappa wrote:Hi Shey,

I have set up a photo bucket account and uploaded photos, but haven't worked out how to link them over to the forum. As soon as i work it out it will post them. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Kappa.
If your photobucket account is public, then you can tell us what name you've given your library and we can search for it ourselves (within pb).

Or you can send the link to me via pm and I'll post it for you (go into your library and select the text in the search bar, copy and then paste into message/post).
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Hi Lee- thankyou for posting - these are very helpful and important reference pics

Very interesting results- is it possible that your cock is a Dark Blue rather than Violet Blue? or maybe the hen is a Dark Green- where did the Dark chick come from?

(re-posted your pic for you, so others can see)
Kappa

Post by Kappa »

Hi Shey,
if you right click on your mouse and open a new tab on your browser it will link you to my photobucket album.
i have posted some photos with flash and some on an overcast day.
Cheers Kappa.
Last edited by Kappa on Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

posted for kappa

take away the extra [IMG] on each end and it'll come up like that

I can't get it to take me (to your account)- perhaps you try reposting it? or post the link (make sure your library is public) like this : http://s21.photobucket.com/user/Spirite ... t=3&page=1
Last edited by sheyd on Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kappa

Post by Kappa »

Finally, success. Thanks Shey, something so minor can make things so frustrating.
thanks heaps Kappa.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

no problem.
I'm on board with Johan and Lee and think that your bird is one of the best candidates (in Oz) to be a Misty Green.
You should check out this site *best viewed on pc or mac to see everything - will need to be translated though: http://www.osnanet.de/markus.ehrenbrink/home.html

I am looking forward to your breeding results :)
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

molossus wrote: btw the chicks in the pics : perched on R is the misty violet green / perched on L is misty DF and DK factor is on wire above DF sibling.
: in box L front DF and R front is Violet green and at rear is DK factor sibling.
hope this is clear.
yes, that helps a lot. cheers. am also looking forward to your results this season- regarding your pairs- knowledge is the path to enlightenment :)
Kappa

Post by Kappa »

Hi Shey,
He definately looks very similar to the bird in the second photo on the link you posted. Especially the faded blue in tail. I can only hope I have as much luck as my mate who, from his blue male and deep blue hen, bred 4 deep blues and 3 blues out of two clutches. He won't part with his deep green hen this season, but I will try and convince him after the season is over.
My aim is to breed the deep into my CT's and see what happens, especially in df.
Regards Kappa.
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Well, just to clarify, I'm not saying the bird is definitely a misty. Only that it certainly looks very similar. And the same goes for every picture (there have been precious few) of a deep green, it has reminded me of misty. If I only saw the pictures without background, I'd guess misty, though.

@Kappa, I'd be very curious to see what that cock produces with a blue (CT will be fine) hen and if you can confirm deep in the form of a deep blue/CT. What are you planning for this season, if you don't mind me asking?
Kappa

Post by Kappa »

Hi Johan,
The plan this season is to try and breed a df deep green that is my main aim. If I produce a sf deep blue will be a bonus, and if the breeding gods look favourably on me perhaps a df deep blue. I will work on the deep and CT mutation combo most likely next year. Although I am also interested what effect the deep will have on violet. Decisions, decisions.
Regards,
Kappa.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Kappa,

No need to wonder, there's heaps of pics of deep violet blue birds, Ron has few posted on his website.
http://fabulousparrots.com.au/photos.cfm
Kappa

Post by Kappa »

Hi Ben,
Thanks for the link. Ron has some very impressive birds and mutation combinations, interesting to note however, no deep CT's. I wonder if there is a reason behind that. I would have thought that this would have been tried by now at least by someone. It may be a new line of enquiry, to find out if anyone has tried the deep CT combo, and what were the results?, and was the outcome worth the effort?
Cheers,
Kappa.
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

I have asked the same Question in the forum (another thread) and i have nothing so far, no explanantion.
Let's not forget, one needs 2-3 years to accomplish this task.
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Kappa wrote:Hi Johan,
The plan this season is to try and breed a df deep green that is my main aim.
Another good plan. Are you using a deep blue or deep green/blue hen? We'll assume the cock is deep as purchased and not misty in the interim.

I'd actually be very happy if the df deep green shows the brownish misty tinge. It should add more perspective to this whole argument that there is no clear difference between deep and dark.
Kappa

Post by Kappa »

Hi Johan,
The hen i am using is unfortunately a deep green pallid/blue. She is actually the cock birds half sister. Hopefully any df deep greens are hens, other wise I will have to breed backwards to try and breed out the pallid from future pairings. I have to work with what I've got.
Kappa.
trabots

Post by trabots »

Kappa, I have paired a DF Deep TurquoiseBlue to a Blue CHCT for this year. I don not know of any Deep CHCTs yet.
Kappa

Post by Kappa »

Trabots,

That's good to hear. I think that it has been a combination which has been overlooked. We may just get some momentum going and get a few more interested parties in our little experiment. Looking forward to your future results. The waiting will be the hardest part of the whole process.
trabots

Post by trabots »

The real reason nobody has bred Deep into CHCT or many other mutations is the very small number of breeders who have the real Deep mutation. Nobody outside of Oz has bred and shown the DF form of their own supposed Deep mutations. There are probably many Deeps in aviaries in Oz which remain just 'Australian Cobalts' and they haven't a clue what they really have. Myself, Ron and another breeder I know have been just getting the numbers of Deeps up by breeding them to sex-linked and more often dominant mutations.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Johan S wrote:
Kappa wrote:Hi Johan,
The plan this season is to try and breed a df deep green that is my main aim.
Another good plan. Are you using a deep blue or deep green/blue hen? We'll assume the cock is deep as purchased and not misty in the interim.

I'd actually be very happy if the df deep green shows the brownish misty tinge. It should add more perspective to this whole argument that there is no clear difference between deep and dark.
Wouldn't there also be a change in the Blue series too if it were the case- if say that Kappa's bird is a Deep Green and not say a Misty (or another mutation entirely), wouldn't it act similarly in the Blue series?

Willy, do you have any pics of one of your Deep Blues under different lighting conditions as well as flash?

I have had the Deep Green described to me by Mick Blake- he didn't mention that they show up brownish in certain lights or pics with flash, only that they have a "bluer" (can be interpreted in many ways) tail and are hard to pick from a regular Green.

It is the reason I started this thread- I wanted to see how they differ- but the picture supplied to me (by Mick) wasn't in anyway ideal for identifying one against the regular Green phenotype- then, in this thread we learnt that SA (South Africa) may have it's own "Deep" as demonstrated by Peter & Tienie.
Last edited by sheyd on Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trabots

Post by trabots »

All will be revealed when the other 'Deeps' produce their homozygous form.
Kappa

Post by Kappa »

I totally agree, that there are many deeps, especially greens in backyards of small breeders who are not aware of what they have. Inturn these would have produced deep blues and both would have been sold of as normals to others. I know this for a fact because the two breeders I know with deeps were only interested in producing deep blues and sold off the deep greens into the pet trade they didn't attach any value to them, they were glad to get rid of them. I got my pair for next to nothing. This is the reason they seem so hard to find. This is also the reason I why I will attempt to purchase the only other deep green/ turquoise hen I know of, at the end of the season.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

Hi Kappa- sorry, should've been more specific- I meant South Africa and not South Australia (to avoid any future possible confusion, have gone back and edited post)
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Congrats to Ron for breeding the Deep blue Cleartail !! see his pics on his website
http://fabulousparrots.com.au/photos.cfm
I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
madas

Post by madas »

molossus wrote:Ringo hi,
Clearly Ron has done lots with the deep. Love the pics.
I am curious about one bird...the violet green dom pied/...
looks an emerald violet green dom pied...can he post some pics and tell us about the birds breeding.
leading to the point that emerald is a dominant mutation not visible in green series birds unless it is combined with a mutation which is altering the melanin distribution??????? It's a question not a conclusion
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Plausible Question Madas !

Molossus
looks an emerald violet green dom pied...can he post some pics and tell us about the birds breeding.

I talked to him about that bird a while back.
It comes from a breeder with lots of experience (was first in Oz to have violet with his partner at the time) and he said the there is no emerald in the bloodline of this bird . he has emeralds more then most in fact.
so the breeder is rather sure it is not emerald. :roll: in saying that if Ron would sell it for the price of a pied i would get off him :D

as per my update chances of breeding the green x emerald this year is very slim.
see
http://ringneck-genetics.com/index.php/ ... ue-thread4

and
http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... 822#p94822

any suggestions as always are welcome.

on the bright side: deep x grey test breeding is on.

I'm an Explorer
10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 50% pleasure, 5% pain$ and a 100% reason ..I just gotta know
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Don't have other pics of Ron's bird. Maybe Willy can get some.

he is 2 y o
http://parakeet.me/irn/f/emeraldGrCk.jpg
I'm an Explorer
trabots

Post by trabots »

These are from Ron, they were Jack Smith's including the original Deep Green, the young bird is compared to 2 normals in the nest.

[URL=http://s1305.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]

[URL=http://s1305.photobucket.com/user/ ... .jpg[/img][/url]
Carr.birds

Post by Carr.birds »

Wiily

Thanks for sharing that with us.

Attched the babies from my Blue opaline & "SA deep" green/blue (original imported hen)

"SA deep" green mother

Blue Opaline father

Your opinion welcome. Keep in mind picture taken with flash

Tienie
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

"SA deep" green, is it a hen opaline? or is it just the flash?
looking forward to more pics as it feathers up.
Any luck with df SA deep blue? or too early to tell?

very exciting times ;)
I'm an Explorer
Carr.birds

Post by Carr.birds »

Ben

Correct. believe on looks it is the only opaline in the nest. With the naked eye at this stage I would say, " SA deep" green/blue/opaline, "SA deep" green opaline/blue and "SA deep " blue /opaline. The hen is on 4 fertile eggs for second clutch.

Attached a pic from "SA deep" blue sl edged & violet dblue cinnamon sl edged

Pics taken with flash

Tienie
Sherjil

Post by Sherjil »

Ring0Neck wrote:
Plausible Question Madas !

Molossus

I talked to him about that bird a while back.
It comes from a breeder with lots of experience (was first in Oz to have violet with his partner at the time) and he said the there is no emerald in the bloodline of this bird . he has emeralds more then most in fact.
so the breeder is rather sure it is not emerald. :roll: in saying that if Ron would sell it for the price of a pied i would get off him :D

as per my update chances of breeding the green x emerald this year is very slim.
see
http://ringneck-genetics.com/index.php/ ... ue-thread4

and
http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... 822#p94822

any suggestions as always are welcome.

on the bright side: deep x grey test breeding is on.

Tried registering to the new site ringneck-genetics ; however it doesnt allow to do so ... can anyone please help ?
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Sherjil,

We are at the begining and how we handle new members requests has not been established as yet.
ATM rego is by invite only.
Thank you for your patience.

I'm an Explorer
Sherjil

Post by Sherjil »

Ring0Neck wrote:Sherjil,

We are at the begining and how we handle new members requests has not been established as yet.
ATM rego is by invite only.
Thank you for your patience.

Thanks RingONeck can I be invited :)
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Carr.birds wrote:Ben

Correct. believe on looks it is the only opaline in the nest. With the naked eye at this stage I would say, " SA deep" green/blue/opaline, "SA deep" green opaline/blue and "SA deep " blue /opaline. The hen is on 4 fertile eggs for second clutch.

Attached a pic from "SA deep" blue sl edged & violet dblue cinnamon sl edged

Pics taken with flash

Tienie
Tienie,

Any chance you can update us with pics of the above ?
Much appreciated.
Any news on DF SA Deep?
I'm an Explorer