vet visit :)

Moderator: Mods

kanundra

vet visit :)

Post by kanundra »

So, Bobby is in his smaller cage, awaiting to go to the vets. Hubby got him in there with some treats and trickery. (he will never fall for it again)

I'm a little nervous, I did want hubby to come with me but he's working. Oh well.

Wish us luck, and I'll post what the Vet thinks in a little while.
Hakaishin

Re: vet visit :)

Post by Hakaishin »

Best of luck ma'am, but I doubt there is anything to fear. Your feathered trouble maker will be back to annoying the piss out of you in no time. :)
kanundra

Post by kanundra »

Thanks, just got back...

The vet said he looks in good health. He's moulting which is why I've found the feathers. He has been clipped. All the way through all feathers. So when they grow back they're a little weird for him.

And the bent feather along with the one next to it, started bleeding as soon as the vet spread his wings properly. So he had to have two blood feathers pulled. Poor mite.

I've to watch them now, and make sure there is no more bleeding. As the vets receptionist rang me back panicking as the vet found blood. Well there was as he was bleeding when we got there. eek.... glad I did have an appointment.

Bobby is now sulking. I hope he will be okay with me after this.
Hakaishin

Post by Hakaishin »

He'd probably be happy with some fruit and a mist bath :) If there's nothing else I can say about birds, while they seem fragile, they are in fact very resilient for their size. As mentioned, he'll be back to annoying you in no time. :)
kanundra

Post by kanundra »

Thank you. He's been out eating and throwing food around as usual.

I'll keep you posted on how he is tomorrow. For now he's preening on his top perch. :)
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

He's preening the stink of vet off of him lol :D
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

kanundra

Post by kanundra »

He has gone to bed early and is puffed up asleep on one foot. Would this be normal for a pretty stressful day?
Hakaishin

Post by Hakaishin »

Judging from my time caring for my former conure, it is expected the bird to sleep 12-15hrs in a day. Puffed up and with one foot up is actually one of the most normal positions for a parrot to sleep in - of any species. As for whether the conditions are normal... I know if I went to the doctor and I was just bleeding, being poked and prodded all over by people I don't know... first thing I'd want to do after punching them in the face would be getting some food, and going to sleep myself. LOL

It's fine. :) Actually somewhat surprised to be honest you hadn't experienced that sleep pose with your parrot before, it's one of the most common I've encountered.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Rocky's trip to the vet was such an ordeal for him he went to sleep in the travel cage after all the action, while the vet and I were talking. The highlight of the trip, for me, was when they stuffed him into the bird-weighing bucket. I'm still laughing!

-MissK
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Skye flipped out getting weighed lol. He also slept after the whole ordeal. I'm taking Cyrano on Monday...wonder how they'll fit him in the bucket :lol:
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

MissK wrote:Rocky's trip to the vet was such an ordeal for him he went to sleep in the travel cage after all the action, while the vet and I were talking. The highlight of the trip, for me, was when they stuffed him into the bird-weighing bucket. I'm still laughing!

-MissK
Our vet has a perch on the scales, but I guess he must do something else with the less tame birds...
kanundra

Post by kanundra »

Hakaishin wrote:Judging from my time caring for my former conure, it is expected the bird to sleep 12-15hrs in a day. Puffed up and with one foot up is actually one of the most normal positions for a parrot to sleep in - of any species. As for whether the conditions are normal... I know if I went to the doctor and I was just bleeding, being poked and prodded all over by people I don't know... first thing I'd want to do after punching them in the face would be getting some food, and going to sleep myself. LOL

It's fine. :) Actually somewhat surprised to be honest you hadn't experienced that sleep pose with your parrot before, it's one of the most common I've encountered.

Oh, sorry. Yeah I know he always sleeps on one foot. I was meaning is going to bed early and wanting to sleep more, normal.

I guess it is, as he's just back to his normal self today. He's just pigged out on fresh veggies and fruit, regurgitated for his fav toy and is now playing in his cage lol.

:) Thanks for all the replies