Another video of the genius -playing connect 4

Hang out, kick back, relax and chat in "The IRN Lounge". Excellent place for general conversation, idle chat and off topic threads. Anything goes!!!

Moderator: Mods

InTheAir

Another video of the genius -playing connect 4

Post by InTheAir »

Heyo,

I think I might have mentioned that our ringneck is a genius before, but I have to say it again!

This is his 3rd game on the connect 4 (travel size) we bought him this afternoon. I showed him the concept, then let him sit on my finger for the first 4 counters to make it easier for him to reach. I went to get my phone from the bench and when I got back he had already started putting the red pieces in by himself! By the time I had made space on my phone, he was a seasoned professional.

Game 4 against Dave he did a skilful block and win (which I failed to film). Game: 5 Dave totally thrashed him, so I think game 4 was a fluke... I don't think he is grasping the idea of 1) winning 2)connecting 4... But still, he's only about 9 - 10 months old....and a parrot... I'm impressed he even gets the pieces into the game already! Game 6: he decided it was time to sit on Daves shoulder and have a nap....

My phone and my computer aren't talking so I had to upload from phone, sorry I would've chopped the last minute off otherwise.

http://youtu.be/GFczHiD7Aa0

I can't believe how clever these birds are!

Regards,
Claire
ellieelectrons

Re: Another video of the genius -playing connect 4

Post by ellieelectrons »

Nele, you are just tooooo clever! Well done Claire. That's adorable! How do you come up with these ideas?

Ellie.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Best inspiration is having no budget for parrot toys... connect 4 is cheap! Lol We also got him some stacking cups from target (sorry people who made them in China) for next to nothing.
Actually, we were looking for a present for Daves mum for her birthday.. (the poor lady almost got budgies, but luckily we got distracted by connect 4 got Mr mischief)... the same store sold beautiful mugs with bird prints on them so we got mum one instead of some budgies.

I still can't believe how quickly he picked it up.. If only I had videoed the game where he beat Dave in 5 goes! (on YouTube you only have to be a fluke once).
Redzone

Post by Redzone »

This is no joke, I am absolutely dumbfounded that he managed to grasp the concept of connect 4 so quickly and you can actually have a proper coherent game with him!! It's bloody amazing! He does jump a turn though if you're not quick putting your piece in though hahahaha..
MissK

Post by MissK »

That's so fantastic! I think you guys are feeling the effect of "learning to learn". You started right in with teaching him, and the most important thing he learned was that you are going to teach him new stuff. He's unstoppable!

Maybe you should tape that cup to the table while he's learning to lift just a liiiiitle higher? Or, thirty or forty seconds have passed since then, maybe he's got it now? :wink:

-MissK
-MissK
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I think your spot on with the learning to learn, Missk. It still blows me away though.
I found a red cup in the set with a wider base so it doesn't fall over :)
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

That bird is destined for stardom lol. He's so smart. I'm lucky to get Skye to turn around and put his toys in a bowl. And that's on a good day. I'm hoping hamlet will grasp it sooner. When did you start training for the bigger stuff? He has shake, turn around, and wave at 4 months. But his focus is quickly diverted.
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Hey Melissa,
Hamlet is doing more then Nele was at that age., I think we started training more regularly at 5 months. We do go through phases though, sometimes we do none for days, other times we will do 30 minutes everyday... If I get slack for too long he just jumps on his training perch and starts throwing out tricks (and looking speculatively at the treat jar) until I play.

The only time we had motivation issues from his side was when I took sunflower seeds completely out of his diet, it took a while to find a suitable replacement (oat groats). He now gets sunflower seeds for flights and new tricks.

Luckily his attention span is longer than mine, so its usually not an issue.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

What are oat groats??? Hamlet loves peanuts too much and I'm trying to find something a little less fattening that will keep him motivated. His flight is going great. He's up to flying between rooms if he can visually see me. About 25 feet now. I'm working on going around corners, but when I call him he gets confused. Any advice?? Also. I notice you use hand cues as well as voice, which do you find works better? Sorry for all the questions. I just really want to teach hamlet. And myself :wink:

knight76

Post by knight76 »

Great video. Hopefully I can get Charlie to do similar stuff.

What were you using for reward treats?
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Heyo,

Taking about parrot training is my favourite subject, I'm more then happy to discuss training methods and my experiences!

I can't edit quotes from my phone, so please bear with me on the old skool format.

Groats = hulled but unrolled oats, I get them from the organic food store. I break them in half most of the time. Some things I've read say they are ok to feed uncooked, but others say not to... There were lots in the bucket of parrot treats I bought as a start up kit... I will try to ask at the parrot seminar tomorrow.

I'm too scared to feed Nele peanuts at all, but I think Dave tried and Nele wasn't that excited about them. The other thing that has been recommended to me is passionfruit, Nele loves it, but its to messy for me. He will also work hard for raw carrot, but its messy too. The vet nurse at the bird vet recommended using coloured pellets (can't remember the brand), but I'm not too keen on food dyes.

I have found vocal cues are mostly redundant with Nele, he reacts to my body language. He does do some tricks for a vocal cue, but I suspect he still reads my subtle body language as if I think about the next trick I want him to do before I cue him he will just do the trick I was about to ask for.... Clever Hans syndrome. Very frustrating! I should video myself and see if I can correct it.

But, on saying that, the verbal cues are not worthless, as he will fly around a corner when called from out of sight...
Also my favourite, most effective, verbal cue is 'properly' which I guess he must translate to something like 'that's almost right, keep trying, there's a treat for you when you figure it out'. I first used it when I thought he wasn't making enough effort on a trick he already knows, now I use it on new tricks that he is close to performing but not sure, it seems to encourage him to keep trying. It was invaluable to get him hitting the xylophone buttons hard enough to make a noise.

For the flights around corners, that is not our strongest point either. We have found he does it well if he knows where you are in the room, if you have moved very far since the last round it's 50/50 whether he will stop at a known perch and then go to you... He's much more keen on Dave then me, so with Dave it's more like 70/30. He has been improving since we started racing him around corners though (to exercise him we have races around the house from perch to perch)... Yes, we are very keen parronts... We probably don't spend enough time challenging him in flight tricks though. I'll put that on the to do list.

I also like to teach tricks in a way that makes him think about it... That means the next trick will be less work for me as Nele is conditioned to solve a communication puzzle, rather then do a trick... It's kind of hard to explain though, I am not as eloquent as some people (like Missk, she's amazing)... I touched on the concept in a reply this morning http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=17210 .
It took me months to figure out how to ask Nele to wave without using anything connected to step up, as I like the way Nele just sits on his perch with a foot raised waiting for your finger to get to step up position. I was worried I would compromise his faith if I used that to get him to wave...

You already know the most important bit in trick training; giving the bird a healthy, busy, content life the rest of the time! A well balanced bird is a trainable bird.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

InTheAir wrote:
Groats = hulled but unrolled oats, I get them from the organic food store. I break them in half most of the time. Some things I've read say they are ok to feed uncooked, but others say not to... There were lots in the bucket of parrot treats I bought as a start up kit... I will try to ask at the parrot seminar tomorrow.
They sound interesting. Ill have to look into that.
InTheAir wrote:I have found vocal cues are mostly redundant with Nele, he reacts to my body language. He does do some tricks for a vocal cue, but I suspect he still reads my subtle body language as if I think about the next trick I want him to do before I cue him he will just do the trick I was about to ask for.... Clever Hans syndrome. Very frustrating! I should video myself and see if I can correct it.
I suspect you are correct about body language. Hamlet started responding before I would call to him. I was becoming too predictable. I changed my positions around. Offered my hand without my body.( hid behind a wall and offered only my hand visually) then I really got him thinking when my daughter hid behind the wall and offered only her hand. My daughters contact call had a slightly different tone to it but he still responded. So it got me thinking that maybe it wasn't vocal at all. Maybe it was the visual cue that stimulated the response. So I sat in my recliner, back to his perch. The only thing visible to hamlet was my arm when I raised it. As soon as I offered my hand he flew to me.

InTheAir wrote:For the flights around corners, that is not our strongest point either. We have found he does it well if he knows where you are in the room, if you have moved very far since the last round it's 50/50 whether he will stop at a known perch and then go to you... He's much more keen on Dave then me, so with Dave it's more like 70/30. He has been improving since we started racing him around corners though (to exercise him we have races around the house from perch to perch)... Yes, we are very keen parronts... We probably don't spend enough time challenging him in flight tricks though. I'll put that on the to do list.
One of the reasons I wanted him to respond to vocal calls is because I did want to teach flight tricks. When I was young, my uncle had trained pigeons that would fly and do the most amazing tricks. It always fascinated me. He's not around anymore for me to ask advice though. I do remember that he used a whistle similar to a dog whistle.
InTheAir wrote: I also like to teach tricks in a way that makes him think about it... That means the next trick will be less work for me as Nele is conditioned to solve a communication puzzle, rather then do a trick... It's kind of hard to explain though, I am not as eloquent as some people (like Missk, she's amazing)... I touched on the concept in a reply this morning http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=17210 .
I did read that thread. And I thought to myself hmmmm....so that's an easier way to teach turnaround lol. I suspect there are a thousand methods to one result. It's all dependent on the bird. Skye was already almost a year old when I got him and I still say he doesn't know he's a bird :wink: but hamlet was a baby and very moldable so it seems easier for him. They are like night and day in their training. Skye is vocal cues, hamlet is visual cues. Skye makes you work for it, hamlet gives it all he's got.

As for waving, I first taught hamlet to take a foot toy from me with his foot. It gave the desired effect of him raising his foot when I came near him with the foot toy.

Thank you for all of your insight. Now I have to think and plot and plan lol :D :lol:

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Wow, your bird takes a foot toy with his foot?! That's great, what toys do you use? Nele always takes with the beak and transfers to the foot from beak. I was planning to try to teach him to take something with his foot, but haven't got around to it yet.

Nele comes as soon as the hand is in a good landing position, whether we vocalise a cue or not...

I wonder if there is anything in the pitch of the whistle your uncle used... Maybe there is something in whistle pitch that is more distinctive than in the human voice? Like with dogs...

That's really interesting that your older bird responds to vocal cues better... I can't wait to get Neles friend in potential to compare their learning styles.

Is my way actually an easy way to teach turn around?
There are infinite ways to get the same results, for sure. And as long as the bird is enjoying itself it didn't matter how you explain a concept really... I just like it to be mostly his solution.

I don't use any food management what so ever, he has pellets in a dish at all times... I can't stand to work him if he is properly hungry (like when we give him pellets and cooked veges for breakfast), it makes him too keen on food, not training...
Our vet wouldn't approve, but foraging is what he does for a hobby at this stage (mostly for the same type of pellets that are in the dish). His weight is stable, and has been for months. He loves his foraging toys anyway, though he does tend to solve them and not eat much of the reward...
MissK

Post by MissK »

Oat groats (pardon my getting in here late) are commonly included in bird seed mixes. I have no reservation about feeding them to Rocky. Here is a photo of oat groat from the net: http://www.grainmillers.com/images/page ... OatWOG.jpg They are slightly longer and thinner than a safflower seed, and darker in colour, looking somewhat like a fat, strange grain of uncooked rice.

I, too, am impressed about the bird taking a foot toy (or anything) directly with the foot. I bet that's cute as can be! For all that Rocky is a foot toy master, he still reaches for things with the beak. Could this be a preference, or could it be a trust thing? If he reaches for something with his foot, I could grab his foot, and then I'd have him! But, if he reaches with his beak, and it goes ugly, he could still bite me in defense?

I'm not at all surprised that our parrots, our dogs, and even Hans himself respond(ed) more readily/easily to visual cues. We humans are the big verbal communication experts, and look at the mess we get into when our visual and verbal cues don't match. I note that Rocky responds much, much better with the addition of a visual cue, but it seems he will not go on a hand cue alone. I'm willing to bet he gets an additional visual cue from my FACE when I pronounce the verbal cue.

This is not to say I don't think a verbal cue fits in there, just that I am sure it's quite low in the ranks for Rocky. Worth noting, however, he does have a good handle on the contact call exchange, which is purely verbal. It's not as if parrots are deaf or unaffected by sounds. Perhaps verbal commands could contain, like the uncle's pigeon whistle, just a meaningful note? I have not tried calling him to fly to me blindly from another room, as I like to keep him away from the Canaries and Dogs, not to mention those vents that open on the exterior. In my home it seems there are experiments to conduct!

I hope that makes some sense. I'm not at my best, having awakened with a headache. I love my little Budgie's sounds -maybe some time in the bird area will soothe me!

-MissK
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

MissK, I'm so sorry you have a headache. Rest up with your budgies and feel better soon.

Ok, so I sat at the table and poured a bit of the seed mix out and found the oat groats. I separated some for later and pulled their seed mix from their cages. Ill let you know the interest level after our next training session.

As for the foot toys...I use small vine balls and the little cat balls with the bell in the center. I don't think I could train any bird to take a toy with his foot. Skye reaches for my hand with his beak to step up. Hamlet never did. He learned shake in about 5 minutes because even when stepping up he uses his foot only. The only thing he would reach for with his beak was a treat. So it was a matter of bait and switch. Palm the foot toy, offer the treat, while his attention is distracted and he's offering a foot, I quick place the ball in his foot. The first day he looked at me like what the heck is that? But he caught on quick. Now if I offer my hand, he raises his foot and I can place the ball in his foot. I'm experimenting with this on my baby Alex too.

Have a great weekend everybody. :)

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I hope your head feels better soon, Missk.

To tell the truth I'm surprised Nele hasn't damaged his hearing with some of the awful noises he makes when he's singing along to music ;p he sometimes sounds like he's trying to teach himself opera in a range that's better suited to a piccolo, at volume lol

I think Nele can run through every trick with no vocal cues, but only about 3 where my intentional cue is voice alone.

I have seen a video of smallish type of parrot trained to take toys with it's foot, so it can be done. Nele is near ready to start that trick now I think.

I have to say, the complete trust of a beakless step up melts my heart every time! It never gets old.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Aw! Rocky steps up with no beak! Is this because I offer my wrist level to the perch? Once again, I must thank him for being so fine! He cannot be petted, doesn't know tricks, speaks incoherently much of the time he chooses to speak, but he's my sweetie and I wouldn't trade him. I know all you folks feel the same about your birds. It's too bad those Smilies at the left do not include a string of hearts!

-MissK
-MissK
Jen&Bug

Post by Jen&Bug »

What a great thread, thanks everyone. I'm definitely going to give the 'properly' cue a try - hopefully it will help break the impasse that Bug and I have reached with his birdy piano. He's figured out that I want him to do something with the keys that will make a sound come out, but he's not sure exactly what that is, so at the moment he tries to rip the keys off. I've had to stop using it with him because I was worried it would get wrecked before we had figured it out.

MissK, I totally hear you about loving our birds even if they aren't destined for YouTube stardom. Doing tricks is the 'icing'; the joy of having a trusting relationship with an endlessly fascinating little creature is the 'cake' :D
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Missk, I think that Rocky stepping up with no beak shows he trusts the wrist to be in the right place and that it will be stable for him... ok, I'm probably anthropomorphising it.. I can rephrase it to as the wrist is invariably presented in a stable way in the correct position to suit the birds' step, therefore the bird does not need to test the surface with his beak before moving to it :mrgreen:

I think Rocky sounds like a pretty awesome bird. You're spot on to be celebrating him in his own right! He deserves it!
For me it's just a happy coincidence that both myself and Nele work well at tricks together, I'd still love him the same if he didn't though. Ringnecks just rock! I'll put some more of those ringneck shaped love hearts out there too.

Jen, I have trained the word 'properly' from the start of training, and it was a process to get it to mean something... Nele is already at quite an advanced stage of understanding my weird communications. I'll try to explain this better soon, I'm going to beat a ringneck at connect 4 now!
Jen&Bug

Post by Jen&Bug »

Thanks, I understand that 'properly' will take time to establish, I just like the idea of having a response somewhere between 'good boy!' (which means he got it right) and 'no' (which means he's miles off).

My birds are not training superstars by any means - due to my laziness rather than any lack of ability on their part - but we've done enough learning together that I know they can 'get' verbal cues if we work at them long enough.

Good luck with your Connect 4. My cute story for the day was that the Parrot Society magazine had a lift-out on ringnecks this month, and Bug has been chatting to the pictures of ringnecks and going all smoochy. Too funny :lol:
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Jen, good luck with it, I hope out helps. Those bird pianos look like they are tricky. Ellie has a birdy piano, she might have some ideas too.

I just watched my latest video again, and after a couple hours critiquing other trainers at the parrot seminar today I have to say I'm such a sloppy trainer I'm surprised the bird does anything for me!
Anyone got any suggestions on how to teach him the aim of the game? I may have to explain to him how humans count first?
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Nele and I spent a couple sessions on it and he now gets the taking a ball with his foot and holding it!
That was one of the hardest tricks we've ever tried! It took 3 sessions before he'd hold on to it while he ate his treaty, and we dropped it so many times the ball has cracked!
We still need to work on it, but he understands the trick now. :) thanks for the tips, Melissa
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

My bird piano is a bit of a dud. My birds are like yours Jen, they only get a sound out of it when they are trying to rip the keys out. I also used it with some Alexandrines the other day and they manage to bite a key clear in half! So, I've retired it for a while whilst I try to get them to play a kid's xylophone that I picked up from an Op Shop. So far, they get the concept of depressing the key on the xylophone but they don't do it hard enough to get a sound. I guess this is where the "properly" command would come in... but my guys don't know that yet. It's only, "get treat" or "don't get treat". :)

Ellie.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

That's awesome Claire!!!! :D I knew he could do it.

MissK...you have found a one of a kind gem in Rocky. They may not be labeled as tricks, but you have taught him trust, he will fly to you, and he will step up without a beak. That is an enormous accomplishment. :D

On a side note I just have to share with everyone....Cyrano took his first flight today. I came home from food shopping and he was crying for me. Next thing I know he's sitting on the island on top of a grocery bag. I didn't see the actual flight :( but its so exciting!!!

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I wonder if birdy piano is so hard to train because the weird noises it makes offends the delicate ringneck ear ;p

Ellie: that's great progress already! It won't take long before they accidently hit it hard enough. Do they target to the key you point to?

Melissa: hehe I think Nele can do anything he sets his mind to.
Cyrano is a big boy now! That's exciting! I'd love to see a young bird learning to fly, it must be a bit nervewracking though?
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Wow, I just realised the other most important trick is targeting!

Because I haven't taught him it formally, I overlooked it. I just realised that is because I have naturally incorporated it without ever noticing lol

When I want him to focus or move to somewhere else I just say 'here' and put my finger there... After the seminar I went to on the weekend I thought I had better teach it, and -doh- bird already knows it.

We were going to learn it with a stick ages ago, but Nele wanted to beak hang from the stick, and it was too much fun to resist! And you can tilt the stick so the bird slides along... Needless to say, the target stick is now Neles stick of fun... :mrgreen: Nele has never been bitey, so I kinda viewed a target stick as an unnecessary incumbrance anyway...

Anyway, my point is, the other most important trick is targeting, in whatever form it may be.

But I'm sure everyone else knew that already ;p

Claire
MissK

Post by MissK »

I bet a lot more people are using targeting than realize it, in that very way. I read your post and said to myself, "Yeah, we do that too." Every time I hold a seed in between my fingers and tap something, that's targeting. Well, targeting and bribery.

I *did* have the experience of watching Rocky learn (or relearn?) to fly in the living room. Not for the faint of heart.

-MissK
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I always said I was "going to" buy a clicker and target train. My conure jewel thought the stick was a chew toy. Skye ran away from the stick. None of my birds were hand aggressive either so I gave up on the stick. After reading your comments about target training I too thought to myself that I've used some of those methods without realizing it. I tap the tree and Skye or hamlet fly to it. With Skye I tap my wrist and he flys to me. I tap the table where I want them to go stand for a treat ( bribery is a wondrous think MissK) so I guess in a way I have target trained to some extent too. Cool 8)

Claire...I'm trying to get some video of him on his fledgling flights. He scares the you know what out of me. :lol: since he loves to fly to apples so much, I'm going to just place apples where I want him to fly. Hmmmm. I wonder if that is a form of target training :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

I guess we all just use it as basic logical step that is part of every day life.
To be honest, it would drive me mental if I had to find the target stick every time I wanted him to check something out...

They showed a cool cockatoo video in which it had been trained to target by touching it's foot on the trainers finger. I thought that was cute.

I tried a clicker, but it felt too impersonal and I couldn't stand it. Nele has no difficulty refining his tricks with voice, and understands it fine, and I only need to hold bribes, so we are happy without it for now.
It would probably be better for capturing movements outside of training sessions then my voice, though.

Skye sounds so cute, and the total opposite of Nele. Nele wants to check out anything new, he still tries to check out our flatmates goldfish every day, because it hides when he comes to get a closer look. He used to do that to our fighter fish until bubbles and his tankmates stopped swimming away so he could have a good look.

Can't wait to see some videos of your little one in action!

Missk, I'm so glad for Rocky, but it's so sad at the same time to think of a bird spending years being deprived of his wings. It must've been wonderful to see him realise he could use those beautiful wings properly!

We are so lucky Neles breeder didn't think he was ready to be clipped when we got him, or we might not of realised the importance of flight! And we would probably have a biter, because he wouldn't have another way to explain his boundaries to the new bird owners, as well as the extra stress on his already damaged bones.
MissK

Post by MissK »

He seemed to take the accomplishment of mastering the wings as yesterday's news. The learning part appeared to be sheer panic. Tougher still was that I could only sit quietly by and watch. We were not yet familiar enough for me to physically "save" him without adding more fear. There was one part of this terrifying experience he had that I felt lucky to see - the straight vertical ascent. I think he had gone to land on something that moved, and it scared him. I had read about the straight vertical ascent, but never saw it before or since. It'll have to last me - I hope he's never scared enough to do it again.

-MissK
-MissK
Jen&Bug

Post by Jen&Bug »

Ellie - Good idea about the xylophone, thanks. If we both had the same experience with the piano, I'm thinking it's not going to work, at least until Bug has learned the concept with something less fragile.

Claire - LOL about the 'delicate ringneck ear'. One of Bug's favourite toys is a squeaky dog toy, which he bites repeatedly to make it squeak, while squeaking back at it with all his might! Mind you, he does live with a sun conure, so his idea of desirable noise may be somewhat distorted :P

Skyes_crew - Bug was still learning to fly when we got him five years ago, and I can still vividly remember all the crash-landings. Once we knew he'd be safe, the hardest part was not laughing when he overshot a target and ended up somewhere he didn't expect. He seemed to get really embarrassed, so we were careful to be generous with our sympathy and keep the laughter until he couldn't hear us!
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Your bird is awesome!
Whenever Nele has fallen off the curtain rails, he has always been tame enough that we can pick him up and assure ourselves he's alright, he doesn't seem overly fussed if we want to 'comfort' him. But it makes us feel better.

Hey, I've got a budgie question. I won't start a new thread as this one was never on topic from the start :mrgreen: We are thinking of getting Nele a temporary budgie friend to keep him company until we can get a young ringneck in spring. The plan is to rehome it then, to a friends daughter who has a nice budgie already (they want another budgie, and they are good with animals).

Do you know if budgies get very attached to people and ringnecks?
Would it be to harsh on the budgie to rehome it in 3-4 months?

Nele is so desperate for birdy friends he talks (in human words) to butcher birds through the windows (they look at him and think he is dinner!). He also hangs from the frame of the bathroom mirror to do an upsidedown boy dance, and any YouTube video of a noisy bird gets him to the computer from any room of the house. Last time we had a playdate he was following Janey around even after she told him to !# :-) off, so I'm getting very worried about his social development. (So glad his boydance is never directed at us though!).
We really can't commit to having 4 birds at this stage (Nele + friend and budgie + friend), so we couldn't do a longterm budgie relationship...

Have you any budgie insight?

Jen; I swear Nele wants to be an opera singer! And makes the most appalling noises when you play guns and roses that we avoid any music with electric guitar solos. Lol he actually sounds a bit like a birdy piano.
I did a post on this forum not long ago of his birdiness playing xylophone, the kids ones with buttons are fairly easy. Our one is a crocodile shape too :)

Most of Neles training sessions involve me laughing most of the time (he's so cute when he gets out right, and so cute when he doesn't), I do think it's a secondary motivator... He's a class clown like the rest of his household.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I just wanted to add something to the target training discussion. I think using the actual stick is especially good for birds that bite and/or are scared of hands.

The other point I wanted to make was that target training can be about getting the bird to follow the target somewhere but it can also just be about orienting the bird, that is, orienting their head (or in some cases foot depending on how you teach it) to a particular place. I remember at the workshop there was an example where a target was used to orient a bird's head upwards prior to stepping up so that it didn't try to test the hand with its beak first.

Claire, sorry I don't know anything about budgies.

Ellie.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Jen...I try really hard not to laugh at him. But today he was aiming for the kitchen island and over shot it by 3 feet and landed in the sink. He looked so embarrassed. I felt bad for him. I'm sure there will be plenty more crash landings. :mrgreen:

Before I joined this forum I was a huge advocate for wing clipping. Now I can't believe I ever wanted to keep my birds dependant on me. They are all much happier. And a big plus is that hamlet has not had a bluffing period. I believe it is because he always has the choice to stay or fly. I learned so much from everyone here. A big thank you to MissK, Ellie, Claire, and Jen and everyone else that helped me to realize better choices for my birds. :D

MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Claire,

Speaking as a Budgie fan, and someone who has Budgies and a Ringneck, I think it's rather likely you might get the Budgie and then not want to part with it. Odds you keep rather than rehome go up dramatically if you have two Budgies, I think. :lol:

You'll start to love your Budgie and then you'll think he needs a Budgie friend. Then you'll have the two, and they'll be soooo cute together, and you'll love them soooo much. Pretty soon you'll decide their cage isn't THAT big and they're not THAT much effort, and then *POW!*: You got Budgies. You'll go out and buy that child a new budgie from the store since you won't be parting with yours.

Right now my Dr. Scott is expounding upon his views to Riff Raff and she's just turning around to inspect the water dish. He's so sincere, and she's not having any of it. You can't BUY comedy like that!

As far as Rocky is concerned, he appears to really like the Budgies, at least Rif Raff. He watches them, eats when (and what) they eat, and chooses to be as close to them as he can get for his down time. Little Riff was a young baby when she came here, and lived just inches from Rocky's cage. Unfortunately, she doesn't seem to return his affections. I think she may be a little afraid of him or else very territorial. The Budgie cage is a few feet away now. When he lands on the Budgie cage, in the seconds it takes me to shoo him away, she goes to attack him. I have never let them close enough to possibly hurt each other. I'm just too mindful of ways a Budgie could suffer a life-altering (or ending) incident.

In my eyes, here are the Budgie Advantages:
*Ringneck gets a flock. So does Budgie. I see this as a birthright. As well, it opens the door to a world of enrichment you simply cannot provide directly.
*Budgies, for Budgie fans, are fantastic! They bring liveliness and colour. Here's an excuse to keep them.
*Bubbly Budgie noises are relaxing and proven (in my house, by me) to soothe headaches! :D

Budgie disadvantages:
*Ummm.............................
*And also............ um................
*I suppose you do have to clean the cage.
*It is possible the Ringneck, if so inclined, could do serious or fatal injury to a Budgie.
*Keeping Budgies will probably not stop you from still wanting to bring home a Ringneck friend for your Ringneck.

Yes, I think it would be harsh on a little bird to bring it home from wherever, give it time to settle in and feel secure, and make friends, and then uproot it. Will the bird survive? Yes. It would have no choice. Will a Budgie make friends with you and the Ringneck? With you, at least, and since you will be brave enough to combine them, with the Ringneck as well, I think. They are highly social. As with all others, it could be a mite rough combining two adult Budgies later. The established one may be territorial, and the new one will take the lower status, being in unfamiliar circumstance, and though could possibly be strongly defensive.

I hope my little Budgie piece gives some food for thought. I have no regrets about bringing in the Budgies, as you can tell. If you keep a pair, their true needs are few, but they *are* living creatures who will need a certain amount of looking after. Last thought: There are many unfortunate birds who must give up their secure life and start fresh in a new home. We generally agree this is highly regrettable. Is this a situation you want to create on purpose?

-MissK
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

The budgie master has spoken :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now you have me wanting a budgie :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Thanks Missk,

Dave also thinks we would get too attached to a budgie, and it's a slippery slope that leads to a house full of birds!

I just really want Nele to have someone to talk to in bird until we can find his perfect companion!

I was hoping budgies are fairly adaptable and wouldn't mind a flock shake-up in a few months...

Melissa; I'm so glad you and your crew have found the joy of flight.
I can think of so many reasons why it's safer to have flighted birds.
Although I attempting to teach Nele to say our phone number and also David David David, in case we did ever lose him and someone found him... ;p I doubt it will help as he has a tendency to add 'doing' into every sentence... Right now he's saying 'doing doing doing' to himself. Lol

We are still not sure if Nele really did have a bluffing stage, it didn't last long enough to notice if he did. He must be pretty laid back by nature, but being physically capable has helped keep him that way.
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I think I could handle Skye saying doing doing doing. It's gotta be better than listening to him say peek a boo in every voice inflection he can think of :lol: That's his phrase of choice this week. Last week it was give me kiss baby. Can anyone help me think if something else to teach him? I'm running out of appropriate phrases for him to say :D I would teach him his phone number, but he's too lazy to fly away. He stays where the food is. :wink:

Redzone

Post by Redzone »

We're currently trying to teach Nila to say "who's a pretty human" hahaha
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

That's too cute :lol:

Skye's nickname is pork chop...don't ask...we are trying to get him to say I can eat pork chop :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Hahaha, that's cute.
We keep coming up with cute ideas for him to say, but we don't seem very good at teaching him words. He only says what doing/what are you doing in about 5 different speeds and pitches- the faster he says it the more words he uses-, hello, goodboy, love you and goodboy doing (he made that up himself).. He can imitate every wild bird in the vicinity though, and dogs down the road barking.
Any tips for talking? I have no idea if he's actually doing well for his age.
MissK

Post by MissK »

How about "I CAN HAZ CHEESEBURGER!!!!!" :lol:
Does anybody remember the Far Side with the parrot - "Shaddap Boid!"

Claire- Tell Dave you can have just two. They're only *little*!

Melissa - It could run into things, but you can have two too. As long as they're same sex.

:D
-MissK
-MissK
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

:lol: ...I thought about that MissK. I didn't want to copy disco though. :D so I changed it a bit to reflect Skye's love of pork chops lol

Shaddap Boid!!!! :lol: :lol:

If I bring home any more birds I fear my husband will move out :o

I stare at the little buggers every time I'm at petco. They are soooo cute. He wants me to wait until we build outdoor aviaries though :(

Claire...Skye started off only saying hello until he was about 14 months. I thought he would never really talk. Then every word we had ever taught him came tumbling out. He said everything within a day or so. Then he was quick to pick up new words and phrases. One ever week or two. Depending on how often I repeated it. He now has an impressive vocabulary. He talks constantly. Nele is still young. He will definitely catch up soon though. Then you'll be asking for ways to shush him up :wink:
Last edited by Skyes_crew on Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Dave actually speaks budgie quite well. It really surprised his friends' budgie! I'll ask him to talk in budgie next time I have a headache.

We just watched disco again, he's so funny!
jorgea

Post by jorgea »

I need to get myself one of these birds. Thanks for sharing.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

jorgea wrote:I need to get myself one of these birds. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks.
I am guessing you are meaning a ringneck not a budgie?

I can make a video of Nele being naughty if you like? To present a more balanced view before you make up your mind. :mrgreen:
Nele is working on trying to bark louder then the neighbours dog at the moment, just for fun (it's his personal project, we don't encourage it). I am a bit worried he's going to learn how to scream 'shut up' like the neighbour does....

Claire
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

We should get Nele and Skye together for a barking contest lol. Skye also has the squeaky ball sound down a little too good. Confuses the heck out of my dogs :lol:

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Skyes_crew wrote:We should get Nele and Skye together for a barking contest lol. Skye also has the squeaky ball sound down a little too good. Confuses the heck out of my dogs :lol:
Lol
That's so cute! Poor dogs
Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

Nele is really awesome, clever and cute! Plays that Connect 4 so well!

MissK, you really want me to go and buy budgies again! You brought back old memories of my budgies.

Ash
ranechild

Post by ranechild »

I like going with the favorite movie/tv show/song theme...
Disco does Airplane and Flinstones and Rolling Stones.
I'm teaching (or planning to teach) mine Fats Waller sayings: Do you know what Georgia Ham is? Watermelon!, You're feet's too big, Ain't Misbehavin'
Of course there are millions of great movie quotes. Personal favorite--As you wish!