Turquoise Blue?

Moderator: Mods

Redzone

Turquoise Blue?

Post by Redzone »

Hi guys, we went to visit the breeder we bought Nele (our 9 month old DNA sexed male pet) from on the weekend, and were lucky enough to be able to take some photos of his parents. We are reasonably certain Nele's dad is turquoise blue, and that his mother is blue. The whole clutch appeared to be turquoise blue through the dodgy photos we saw of them as young birds.

Both Nele and his father have a yellow spot on their forehead (in different places), is this consistent with turquoise?

Here are pics of Nele's parents, and lastly him:

Nele:

Skyes_crew

Re: Turquoise Blue?

Post by Skyes_crew »

Totally off topic...but is that a custom flight cage Nele is standing on? If yes could you show me a full pic of it?
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Redzone

Post by Redzone »

We actually have to finish off a couple of small areas and then I was planning on starting a thread on it :). It's a converted tv cabinet.

Is anyone able to help with my original post?
madas

Post by madas »

Father looks TurqBlue (or Turq homozygous) and Mother Blue so because the offspring bird is showing green feathers as well it must be a turqblue (even more if the father is hommozygous for turq :D).

regarding the yellow spot: could be related to a hidden pied gen or caused by Food or by illness (but your birds look healthy).

madas
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Hidden pied gene hmmmm interesting. So does that mean it could possibly show up at some point in Nele's offspring? Out of Nele's siblings...did any if them have the yellow spot? Was it a male trait?

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Skyes_crew wrote:Hidden pied gene hmmmm interesting. So does that mean it could possibly show up at some point in Nele's offspring? Was it a male trait?
That is what I am wondering.

The photo of the clutch is very grainy, all we could make out is they are the same colour in general. This was confirmed by breeder. We didn't see them as Nele was the youngest of 6 and the others were already sold when we got him.
The description of Neles fathers father we were given is it was a 'funnny looking bird'. Doesn't really fill in any blanks lol

Can anyone recommend any websites that explain ringneck mutations and genetics to complete beginners?
Redzone

Post by Redzone »

I'm sure that the breeder mentioned in an earlier phone conversation that Nele's grandaddy was pied...
madas

Post by madas »

Redzone wrote:I'm sure that the breeder mentioned in an earlier phone conversation that Nele's grandaddy was pied...
So if you are a lucky buyer then the father bird is split pied. So perhaps you could get a rec. pied female to test breed her with the father.

greetigns.

madas
Redzone

Post by Redzone »

madas wrote:
Redzone wrote:I'm sure that the breeder mentioned in an earlier phone conversation that Nele's grandaddy was pied...
So if you are a lucky buyer then the father bird is split pied. So perhaps you could get a rec. pied female to test breed her with the father.

greetigns.

madas

So breeding a rec. pied female wouldnt work with my bird Nele? His father is not ours unfortunately. They do have the same yellow pigmentation on their forehead though.

Do you have any links that explain mutation breeding to dummies like us lol
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

These are some good places to start

http://feistyhome.phpwebhosting.com/mutations.htm

This one is great!!!
http://www.bluequaker.com/Art-008.htm

I also recommend this book
http://sunbird1.co.za/?page_id=14

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Hey madas,
Can I please pick your brain some more?
I've been reading up, but am unsure if I'm understanding this properly. Can you tell me if this could be correct please?

If father bird is turq/rec pied and mother is blue (no idea of her parentage) then some of his progeny could be Turq/pied the rest would be turq?
This could make our bird (Nele) turq/rec pied also?
Would split rec pied manifest itself visually (ie the little yellow spot on forehead that father and son have in common)?

We are planning to get Nele a permanent mate, and would like to find one that may take advantage of any interesting genes he may be harbouring... if there are any...(and if we can afford such a bird ;p)

Nele is on a very different diet to father bird, and has had a full checkup with the best avian vet we could find in the vicinity, I'm leaning towards the spot being a hereditary trait from dad, but we'll be able confirm that after his next moult...

(btw I'm redzones girlfriend, if you're wondering where I came from in this thread)

Regards,

Claire
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I'm still learning genetics but I'd like to give this a shot if I may. With recessive colors, such as Pied, you must have the visual color, or a bird split to that color on both sides in order to produce the color. So if you wish to produce visual turq pied...you would need to pair Nele to another rec pied or a visual pied. For Nele to be a rec pied he would only have had to have the one rec gene from the father if the father is in fact a rec pied. But the pairing of the father turq rec pied and the mother blue could only produce turq rec pied, turq, or blue.

Is that right Madas?

Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Skyes_crew
Correct... except
But the pairing of the father turq rec pied and the mother blue could only produce turq rec pied, turq, or blue.
your results would be true if you had dominant turq. pied x blue
but rec pied turq. x blue gives you
turquoise blue & blue, all (100%) young will be split to rec. pied.

Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Got it...thanks :)

Redzone

Post by Redzone »

Ring0Neck, any ideas as to the yellow spot on both their forehead's?
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Hi Redzone,

As Madas mentioned. Spots on ringneck's head could be a sign of being split recessive pied, and other reasons.
If the parent's parents were pied (at least 1)
If so, IMO there's about 25% chance that the birds are split rec. pied. not the best odds