Barbara Heidenreich is coming to Australia!

Moderator: Mods

ellieelectrons

Barbara Heidenreich is coming to Australia!

Post by ellieelectrons »

Barbara Heidenreich will be running workshops in Brisbane and Melbourne in June this year. Here is the link for more details!
http://www.parrotsociety.org.au/index.p ... mic&id=108

I've been to her workshop before and I have several of her DVDs and I thoroughly recommend it! I also subscribe to her Wingnutz bird club.

Ellie.
InTheAir

Re: Barbara Heidenreich is coming to Australia!

Post by InTheAir »

I'm going to day 2. I can't wait!

Is anyone else from here going?
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I'm thoroughly jealous now lol :mrgreen:
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Does Hawaii have an active parrot club, Skyes?
I wish there was more going on here, closer to home than Brisbane! (i hate driving on the highway)

The only disappointment I have about going is that sunshine coast avicultural society is having a bqq at a ringneck breeders place the same day! I so want to see his birds and setup, but Pamela Clark and Barbara with the big name aren't in Brisbane very often...

I want to learn everything I possibly can about the way our little terrors mind works, and his psittacine relations.

Thanks Ellieelectrons for introducing me to all these cool parrot events!
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

We do...the aloha hawaiian parrot association. We meet once a month. But very rarely do we have "great" speakers. Usually local parrot enthusiasts. I'm the only ringneck member. For the most part it's Grey's eclectus conures macaws

I wish there was a more specific bird club around here. Compared to the big birds, my ringneck looks like a finch lol plus the only person I can talk mutations genetics and ringneck behaviors with is my breeder.

We did have a huge pet expo here this past weekend. The bird guy of Hawaii was there with all his beautiful macaws. I got to actually hold a hyacinth. I was in awe!!!

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Wow, cool! macaws are awe inspiring!
I haven't joined the Parrot society here, as its over an hours drive to get to their meetings. I really should psych myself up and do it though.
Ellie and I were talking about maybe starting a companion parrot society up here (avicultural soc. is more a variety of different bird breeders).
I want to learn more about their social behaviour, there is so little literature on parrot behaviour in general at the local library, let alone ringnecks.

I always had mammals for pets growing up, and only observed common native birds in the wild (nz has a rather small, though very unique) variety of birds that are commonly seen. So the intelligence of our ringneck, compared to most of the horses I've kept, is fascinating.

Btw when I was looking for more info on ringneck blood reference ranges I learnt that (German atleast) ringnecks are predominately left footed, and people have done lots of nasty things to ringnecks in the name of science! - I will follow up that thread with our vets/labs reference ranges when I can be bothered, maybe Monday....
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I say go for it if you can start a companion society. I wish I had the time to start something like that. I also wish I lived in Australia lol. I've been bugging my parents about it since I was 5. Then when I married a soldier I started bugging him about getting us stationed there. I think after 17 years its not likely to happen. Although he did promise me when we retire that we could go for a visit. Ok sorry, way off topic.

Anyway, I had birds growing up. Mostly conures, finches, parakeets. We did have a yellow nape amazon, but that was my dads bird. So when I realized the intelligence of these birds I was shocked to say the least. They make my horse look like a bumbling donkey :wink: I love my horse and my dogs, but what takes them weeks of training, my bird can learn in one afternoon.

As for what they've done to ringnecks in testing, I really don't know if I could stomach it. I hate animal testing. I'm still very interested in seeing Nele's blood values compared against that reference sheet though. I would love to see if there are obvious differences in avian biochemical lab testing between the US and Australia.

InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

If we start up something it'll be a while away.. Hopefully we will meet some more enthusiastic local parrot people in the meantime.

Australia is pretty cool, but half the wildlife seems to want to eat you. I think you got pretty lucky being in Hawaii though! I went there for a few days when I was about 12 and spent half the time in the water snorkeling (we lived there for a little while when I was a baby, but I don't remember it).

I had mice, rabbits, Guinea pigs, cats, a dog and horses growing up. I did have one pony that was almost as clever as a parrot, but even my awesome show horse wasn't half as quick on the uptake as Nele! Lol

And back on topic, I can't wait to go to the seminar!
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I finally registered to go to the seminar too! Looking forward to it.
Skyes_crew wrote:I say go for it if you can start a companion society. I wish I had the time to start something like that.
Skyes_crew - the thing that concerns me about starting a companion parrot society is the time commitment, so I don't know how far we'll get! Would probably be nice to have a core group of five before starting?
InTheAir wrote:Australia is pretty cool, but half the wildlife seems to want to eat you.
I hadn't realised how scared of the wildlife people who emigrate to Australia are. I noticed it again on the weekend when my friend's kids (whose parents emigrated here) were scared of picking up their ball that had rolled under a tree in case something bit them!

Ellie.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Ellie, I'm glad your going! Are you doing both days?
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

I'm originally from New York. Worst thing there is rats. Then I lived in Germany for almost 10 years. Scariest thing there is a boar. Two days after moving into my house here in Hawaii I encountered my first of many scary bugs. First there was a scorpion. Then i saw my first adult centipede. Just the other day I was chased by a cane spider. But the worst for me is the man o war jellyfish. Here in Hawaii, you don't reach under a bush to get anything. We use a stick. We may not have snakes here, but the blue centipedes can paralyze you. And the scorpions strike hard and fast.

As for the companion parrot society, start small. Form the group around your schedules. And yes, I would wait till you have a few more members...otherwise it's just a play date :wink:

Oh and BTW...you guys can call me Melissa :D

ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

InTheAir wrote:Ellie, I'm glad your going! Are you doing both days?
Yes, I decided to do both days. Was too scared of missing out on something! lol
Skyes_crew wrote:I'm originally from New York. Worst thing there is rats. Then I lived in Germany for almost 10 years. Scariest thing there is a boar. Two days after moving into my house here in Hawaii I encountered my first of many scary bugs. First there was a scorpion. Then i saw my first adult centipede. Just the other day I was chased by a cane spider. But the worst for me is the man o war jellyfish. Here in Hawaii, you don't reach under a bush to get anything. We use a stick. We may not have snakes here, but the blue centipedes can paralyze you. And the scorpions strike hard and fast.
Hawaii sounds similar to here, I guess we're both in the Pacific. We have a box jelly fish which can be lethal. I was in the house the other night, looked down at my shoulder and I had a millipede on it. Granted, I was freaked out, but my husband saved the day! Maybe I'm a bit too aussie, "she'll be right mate!", not generally too scared of creatures in the bushes! lol
Skyes_crew wrote:As for the companion parrot society, start small. Form the group around your schedules. And yes, I would wait till you have a few more members...otherwise it's just a play date :wink:
Indeed, we'll see how we go!
Skyes_crew wrote:Oh and BTW...you guys can call me Melissa :D
Thanks Melissa. :) Hope you have a great day!

Ellie.
InTheAir

Post by InTheAir »

Ellie, Pamela Clarks talk looks great on day 1. I'm mildly jealous that I can only go one day...

Ewww, i didn't realise there were millipedes around here, now I've got something else to be paranoid about!
and ewww I'm glad i didn't know about the creepy crawlies there when we visited Hawaii, i never would have left my room. ;p

Yeah, we definitely need a few more enthusiasts before we set anything formal up. One day...
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Centipedes are bad enough...add more legs to make a millipede and I would faint dead away :lol:

sania

Post by sania »

ooooooo I really missed it. :(