Sleeping on cage walls?

Moderator: Mods

jmlw7

Sleeping on cage walls?

Post by jmlw7 »

Two nights ago, we replaced Remy's (our 8 month old new Ringneck of 11 days) generic wooden dowel perch with a natural wood perch (manzanita I think) that connects/bolts from one side of the cage to the other - the perch is bigger in diameter (over 1") than his smaller wooden dowel (1/2") and he uses it fine during the day, but this would be his sleeping perch since it replaced the dowel he used to sleep on (same spot and everything). He just refuses to sleep on it. He has been sleeping on the cage walls I think and I figured it's because he needs to feel comfortable around it first. But now I'm worried because I'm thinking It's because his feet only wrap around half the perch? He has pretty small feet, and even the wooden dowel perch his toes dont touch. His nails do, but not his toes. Should I get a smaller natural wood perch for him? If so, does anyone know where I can get a 24" double bolt perch less than 1" diameter? Preferable 1/2"?

Do you think the reason he is sleeping on his cage walls is because he has to get used to the change in his cage and I should wait it out? Maybe sand down the big new perch so it's easier to grip?

Or should I replace his new big perch with something smaller or rougher/easier to grip? If I should replace it, chances are I will just get rid of the long sleeping perch altogether, and replace it with two shorter perches - one being a rope comfy perch for his sleep perch and then a shorter natural wood perch for the other side.

Thoughts?
MissK

Re: Sleeping on cage walls?

Post by MissK »

Variety is the spice of life. Conventional wisdom says birds need a variety of perch sizes to exercise the feet. I think the "proper" perch size is one that lets the feet go 75% around the perch, but double check me on that. Just as I would not want to wear the same pair of high heels day in and day out, birds will suffer if they have only one size perch.

I bet your bird is afraid of his new perch. Rocky was none too fond of his when he first got them, though he did have to face a change of 100% everything, as when I got him, he was the only thing I took from that house. He had never seen anything but a smooth wood dowel perch. In time he has grown to accept and use a broad variety of perches, and your bird can, too. It might be nice, as a kindness, to put the old perch back in for a while, until he starts using the new. Don't wreck your nice manzanita perch - wrap half of it in clean, untreated jute or hemp cord. If it's a slipping issue he will use the wrapped part. If it's a fear issue he won't use any of it. If it's fear, just leave it somewhere low in the cage and give him a chance to get used to it. Place it low so it isn't a threat, and don't make it so he must use it or starve or anything like that.

Manzanita *is* very smooth, probably slippery. I know it's pretty and easy to clean, but I've long thought it isn't the kindest perch we could provide. Keep it for variety, but give him something easier for sleeping. Natural bark-on perches are my first pick, but not the only good choice. I would suggest you have a minimum of three different sizes/types of perch.

To get your creativity going, see what Rocky has: natural semi-rough bark-on perches in variety of diameters, ropes in variety of diameters, more wood perches in a smoother bark, vertical hanging thick grape vine (it's kinda flat like a ribbon), jute cord wrapped perch, flat slab of wood perch, very thick smooth and gnarly wood perch, and several swings made from a variety of natural woods with bark. He did have a bendy rope perch, but it was ugly and he didn't ever use it, so I took it out. I would have left it in if it were not so ugly. He does not have manzanita or dowel perches.

These are my opinions.
-MissK
-MissK
jmlw7

Post by jmlw7 »

MissK wrote:Variety is the spice of life. Conventional wisdom says birds need a variety of perch sizes to exercise the feet. I think the "proper" perch size is one that lets the feet go 75% around the perch, but double check me on that. Just as I would not want to wear the same pair of high heels day in and day out, birds will suffer if they have only one size perch.

I bet your bird is afraid of his new perch. Rocky was none too fond of his when he first got them, though he did have to face a change of 100% everything, as when I got him, he was the only thing I took from that house. He had never seen anything but a smooth wood dowel perch. In time he has grown to accept and use a broad variety of perches, and your bird can, too. It might be nice, as a kindness, to put the old perch back in for a while, until he starts using the new. Don't wreck your nice manzanita perch - wrap half of it in clean, untreated jute or hemp cord. If it's a slipping issue he will use the wrapped part. If it's a fear issue he won't use any of it. If it's fear, just leave it somewhere low in the cage and give him a chance to get used to it. Place it low so it isn't a threat, and don't make it so he must use it or starve or anything like that.

Manzanita *is* very smooth, probably slippery. I know it's pretty and easy to clean, but I've long thought it isn't the kindest perch we could provide. Keep it for variety, but give him something easier for sleeping. Natural bark-on perches are my first pick, but not the only good choice. I would suggest you have a minimum of three different sizes/types of perch.

To get your creativity going, see what Rocky has: natural semi-rough bark-on perches in variety of diameters, ropes in variety of diameters, more wood perches in a smoother bark, vertical hanging thick grape vine (it's kinda flat like a ribbon), jute cord wrapped perch, flat slab of wood perch, very thick smooth and gnarly wood perch, and several swings made from a variety of natural woods with bark. He did have a bendy rope perch, but it was ugly and he didn't ever use it, so I took it out. I would have left it in if it were not so ugly. He does not have manzanita or dowel perches.

These are my opinions.
-MissK
Thanks so much for this. On Thursday night, I took out the enormous perch and replaced it with two more smaller perches - one medium sized rope perch, placed looped in the middle of the cage, high up against the back wall - with a knotted seashell toy in the middle... and a smaller wooden natural wood fibrous branch. Thursday night he slept on the cage wall and by Friday he was sleeping on the rope perch and was using every perch in his cage and looked so happy and comfortable. I guess the massive end/end branch was too intimidating for him! thanks!
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

My bird had a similar problem with the manzanita...I cut notches in it and wrapped it in jute to break up the color. I read somewhere recently that IRN's as babies have a strong dislike for the color red. It lessens as they get older. But be careful with that color as it may induce rage as an adult bird. Especially in females.

It doesn't matter how many perches I put in skyes cage...he still insists on sleeping on his swing.
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D

MissK

Post by MissK »

I'm glad to hear the perches worked out. Your bird may overcome the issue with the big perch. If you want him to, try it someplace else and eventually lure him to it a few times. Wouldn't hurt for him to see you touching it, putting his toys on and off it, and not getting hurt. If he comes to like it, you can incorporate it into the play area out of the cage, since it is probably very pretty. :P If it's big enough, you might even be able to mount a food cup on it, and presto snack area!

-MissK
-MissK
jmlw7

Post by jmlw7 »

Just wanted to say thanks again for the help on this thread. He now has a set "spot" on his rope perch that he falls asleep on now. So no more worries with the cage walls :) I also put toys on the cage wall areas he used to sleep on so that may have something to do with it. I will keep the manzanita perch for something just in case as it really is pretty... but it is really gigantic, probably over 1.25" diameter and slippery. If I wrap it in hemp rope and find somewhere to fasten each bolted end to, maybe I'll reuse it again at some point :)

Thanks!
Skyes_crew

Post by Skyes_crew »

Maybe you could incorporate it into a play gym :)
I am owned by my birds...and I wouldn't have it any other way :D