Soon to be IRN owner

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

ranechild

Soon to be IRN owner

Post by ranechild »

My name is Jen and I live in Baltimore, MD, USA. I am going to get an IRN! There's a lady not too far away with two clutches, one that should be Turquoise Blues and Turquoise Blue Lacewings, and the other may have lutinos. I have dibs on a male lutino if there is one :)
ranechild

Re: Soon to be IRN owner

Post by ranechild »

I just recently became aquainted with my first bird... My boyfriend and I just brought his 14 year old Quaker Parrot, Camo, into our new house at Christmas time. I had met the bird a few times before--boy, it took a long time to be able to handle him.
ranechild

Post by ranechild »

Sorry about the multipart posts, I am a new user and the forum thinks I'm spammy...
ranechild

Post by ranechild »

The last month and a half have been great with the quaker parrot. Aside from being a bit bitey every now and then he's cute and fluffy and lets me pet him and put my hand in his cage. He'll preen himself while on my shoulder or knee. Awwwww!
ranechild

Post by ranechild »

Even before we brought him into the house, we had talked about getting a second bird to keep him company. We tossed around the idea of a cockatiel--but we are pretty sure Camo would bully him. Camo has a true quaker parrot personality. He owns us, not the other way around.
I had found videos of a few IRNs on Youtube. I think they have great personalities. They seem to like to have fun and are curious. Maybe they have their occasional testiness, but maybe not as bad as a quaker parrot :) I also think an IRN won't be bullied so much by the quaker--he will be a little bit bigger after all.
I've spent alot of time on the forum reading. I am trying to wrap my head around the genetics and such--I find that fascinating. I have looked at all the mutation pictures that you all post and tried to decide which colors I like best :) Ultimately though, I have to go with the bird that I can find. It's not easy to get a ringneck here in Maryland. There just aren't many around. So, if this clutch doesn't have a male lutino in it, then I'll probably look at the Turquoise blues--hopefully a hen. I'm not crazy about a big bold black ring. I like something a little more subtle. If I could have my dream color bird, he'd be an emerald I think. Like the color of my eyes. But I'm pretty sure I'd never find one in the states--and if I did find him he'd be too expensive for me to buy :)
Nice to meet you all who I have been reading about for quite some time :)
Melika

Post by Melika »

You can always go back and edit your last post instead of posting a whole new one- then the forum won't think you are spamming. And it will be easier for us to read... I thought it was two different people posting. XD

Welcome the the forum.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Jen,

I'm also in Baltimore. I would love to have the contact info for your breeder, or maybe you could mention me to her. I keep a "mature", natural green male Ringneck. I got him second (or third, really) -hand in Pennsylvania from a family. Because of this, I really don't have any IRN resources, aside from this forum. I am also looking to find him a mature friend, IRN or Alexandrine, and I know sometimes breeders get back a bird to rehome.

I have seen a couple of IRNs at Petco on York Rd in Timonium, but I would not advise anyone to buy them. I think they were questionably labeled and certainly overpriced, possibly unwell. Also, I got a Budgie from Petco and another from Petsmart, and I think those at Petsmart are better kept. The Petco one was clipped way too hard and only half as easy to handle, despite being younger. I think their housing and treatment has something to do with it.

You should also know the Baltimore Bird Fanciers are having their Spring Show and Mart in May (maybe the 18th?). That's where I saw my first Ringneck, two years ago. It's in Parkville at Tall Cedars of Lebannon Hall.

Welcome to the forum. It's great to have a neighbor here!

-MissK
-MissK
rockin562

Post by rockin562 »

hi and welcome to the forum.
ranechild

Post by ranechild »

Glad to know I have a ringneck loving neighbor! Miss K, I will surely mention you to the breeder. She's in Brooklyn, NY. That's the closest I've seen babies to here. Look forward to maybe meeting you sometime!
Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

Hi and welcome to the forum, keep us updated when you get your ringneck home.

Ash
ranechild

Post by ranechild »

Oh no! It doesn't look like any lutinos hatched yet for my breeder :(
I have a choice. I can wait for a lutino to maybe come along, or I have a choice of Tuquoise, cinnamon, or violet blue.... hmmmm
ranechild

Post by ranechild »

Waiting for the baby is the hardest thing to do! Look like I'll be getting a violet blue--but I'm waiting on the sexing results.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Jen,

Don't sweat too much over the colour. There is a good chance you'll be blinded by love and come to feel your own bird is the best and prettiest colour birds come in. It happened to me. I wanted a blue, maybe a grey. I got a natural green, and now all the others look somehow "wrong" to me. :lol: I still would appreciate a blue or grey, just saying my opinion of green rose up sharply within the first six months I had my bird.

-MissK
-MissK
salsapicante

Post by salsapicante »

Jen, Hi and welcome!! I'm also a Jen. lol. I wanted to say hello and just say that I agree with MissK. I think everyone wants a pretty yellow or blue or whatever color ringneck. I have been wanting a bird for quite a while myself. I used to own birds before I was married and had kids. Now my babies are growing up and I have more time. We got a beautiful mature Jenday Conure but he bonded to my husband and not me, go figure!! I wanted a bird, but it's 'his bird' now. lol. Anyway. After a few months we decided that we will get a baby that I can 'bond' with or have as my own little buddy. I always wanted a ringneck but the only ones available in my area are mature, overpriced and not tame. Literally freak out and cling the back of the cage in fear when someone goes near their cage at the stores..So I decided to hold out for a baby which is really what I wanted. I found a pet owner who had two babies - the traditional green. They are BEAUTIFUL!!!! After having them, I am so utterly in love with them. I wouldn't trade my green ringnecks for the rarest color out there. After all, I wanted a baby, and they needed a home. It was fate. I guess I am just trying to say don't write off the green ones, they are just as beautiful and loveable. : ) I also wanted to mention that my history with birds (years ago) was all with Quakers, I loved them so much they are great talkers and not too big and mine were snugglers too!

P.S. You probably noticed I said 'two' . Yep. The first one was all ready to go home with us and his sibling cried and cried and ran to the travel carrier trying to get back to his brother/sister. It broke my heart, and I took both :shock: :D .
ranechild

Post by ranechild »

YAY!!! My birdie can come home this weekend!!! Ack! I haven't gotten a cage yet!
So opinions folks... how much does it matter than my boyfriend and I will be going on vacation in two weeks (for 4 days)? Should I hold off on brining him home until after the vacation? We'll have to have a pet sitter for Camo the QP anyway... Is it too soon to leave the baby with someone else? Will it hinder his bonding? His socialization?