New member from NSW Australia

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Shalah

New member from NSW Australia

Post by Shalah »

Hi everyone, I discovered this forum when trying to research a bit about our indian ringnecks. Im not a breeder as such, rather a lover of birds. Over time I have acquired birds by being given unwanted pets, buying them from pet shelters or catching pets that have escaped and not being able to find the owners. I currently have ringnecks that are 2 x blue ( male and female), 1 x yellow ( female) and 1 x white ( think its a male). I also have other birds. This site has a wealth of information so now Im off to find a topic about beak colour as my "indians" appear to have produced a baby with "african" traits.
Ring0Neck

Re: New member from NSW Australia

Post by Ring0Neck »

Shalah

Welcome to the forum.
Glad to see people like you still exist, keep up the good work.

You said:
I'm off to find a topic about beak colour as my "indians" appear to have produced a baby with "african" traits.

Are you saying that the beak is completely black?
If only the lower mandible then it is normal in Indian ringnecks.

Ben
Shalah

Post by Shalah »

Thank you for the welcome. I will post further under - Miscellaneous Comments/Questions Topic: IRN or ARN? and include links to some pictures. The beak is slowly getting darker. Both top and bottom.
Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Ash
Shalah

Post by Shalah »

Hi Ben and Ash.

Ben .. I have now researched about "pionus" style beak after seeing it mentioned in a forum here and thats what my beautiful blue ringneck baby has and yet its mum is yellow IRN and dad is a Blue IRN , both with standard IRN beaks. Now Im totally confused. I havent been able to find any other pics online of anything even similar except a Blue Malabar female is sort of close. Any suggestions od how this may have happened?
Ring0Neck

Post by Ring0Neck »

Does your ringneck's beak look anything similar?
http://parakeet.me/irn/f/diff.jpg
Shalah

Post by Shalah »

No.... not at all. Entree has a beak that extends out slightly further out from the bottom beak. The top beak Is mostly dark grey and narrow through the centre ridge of the length and then has wider flat part on either side level with his eyes. These areas have a tinge of colour to them ( Id describe it as slightly plum). The bottom beak is the same dark grey. Both top and bottom beak have small areas of "skin" colour. I know my lingo isnt very technical but I hope this explains it until such time as I can post an image.
Shalah

Post by Shalah »

Just another thought.. his mum and dad have beaks like your photo.
Shalah

Post by Shalah »

Ive added a peak of Entree as my avatar so I hope you can see it. I still couldnt place an image or URL :? I did post a picture on a Pionus Parrot forum and someone said that his beak is deformed and that he is probably nutrient deficient and to take him to a vet immediately. I have to say that this bird is VERY happy, will try any food in sight. Loves corn, grapes, pumpkin, cooked pasta, , apples, peaches, broccoli, beans, peas, seeds etc etc.... along with anything he can steal while Im preparing dinner ... so I cant see how he can be lacking in nutrients. His beak is symmetrical on both sides. I am watching to see how long it gets incase he isnt wearing it down enough.
Shalah

Post by Shalah »

Hi RingONeck... another member, Ellie, was kind enough to place photos of Entree on the forum - Pionus beak on blue ringneck? Malabar dad or ARN gone wrong. I have also now had him to an avian vet and I have placed his life story on a Post titled - Novice handrearing can be successful and very rewarding.