new owner of IRN

Moderator: Mods

Melika

Re: new owner of IRN

Post by Melika »

Just to sum up, you basically have two methods to choose from.

1. Building trust by exposure to the fear and surviving. Based on the principle that every time a bird is exposed to something fearful and then survives, it is then less afraid the next time and eventually comes to realize that it will not come to harm from you.

2. Building trust through kindness. Based on the principle that if only good things only ever happen with you then the bird has nothing to fear from you.

I find them both equally difficult personally. It really just comes to personal choice and perhaps instinct. I have done what Subodh described with budgies before as well and it does work. I find toweling to be extremely intimidating with the larger birds because they bite so much harder haha and if you don't have experience with toweling you won't be able to keep the bird in the towel which ends up stressing both you and the bird too much. Sometimes having patience is just easier.

The difficult part about building trust through kindness is when you end up in a situation like MissK, where you must use force and now the bird might not trust you as much. This is the plus side of a bird accustomed to toweling, because in the event you do need to towel, the bird already knows it's fine (even if they hate it).

I do believe every bird should at least be comfortable with toweling regardless of taming method. Hane doesn't love it, but he doesn't hate me for it either. I never drop a towel from above, by the way, it's too much like a predator. I set him on the towel in my lap and wrap it over him- but I also started with a tame bird.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
jazzmyringneck

Post by jazzmyringneck »

Ayay sorry to interrupt I used that method and I'm suffering now they totally hate me.MissK any advice on how to gain their trust again :(
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Jazzmyringneck,

I wish you the very best,
-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-MissK
jazzmyringneck

Post by jazzmyringneck »

I thank you very much Missk I made a very bad mistake the guy I purchased it from showed that method all the things you mentioned happens to me the bitting.... This answers a lot of questions I think this is the reason they start shaking
Thx
Pablo
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Melika,

First i would like to thank Melika for explaining the technic in proper techical terms. Actually i am not a very good writer and maybe i am not able to explain exactly what to do. But i have gained results and so i suggested. But now when i think over again i shouldnt have suggested something which every person cant do. As you said everyone cannot towel or handle a bird with ease and if the bird escapes again and again or starts to bite, the entire exercise goes down the drain. I think i will be more careful hence forth.
Also i am seriously thinking of making a video on toweling for everyone. But i want to do it with a new untame bird. So we will have to wait a bit for that. My alex is handfed by me and also hand tamed. And we play a lot with the towel also. So he doesnt mind me toweling him. I towel trained him keeping a illness or something unfortunate in mind. So i will not do it with my tamed bird as of now cause it will not give me the satisfaction.

Hi Miss K,

Thank you very much for suggesting the remedy. In the case of Romantic i think your technic will work the best.

Hi Pablo,

I understand that you want to tame your birds as soon as possible but please dont try anything if you are not sure of doing it right. Whether you are holding a budgie with bare hands or handling a bigger bird using a towel, It is very essential that your grip should be firm and still it should not hurt or choke the bird. It is slightly difficult to hold firmly when the bird is struggling. I suggest you also please follow Miss K advice.

Subodh
romantic_guy82

Post by romantic_guy82 »

hi all , thanks for Missk ,subodhhire ,Melika and every one.
i am afraid start loosing hope of taming my bird. After the last time i wrote about my bad experience with koko with towel method i tried to check that if he will still accept food from my hand so i bring a piece of apple and started to enter it between the cage bars and thanks god he come to it and took a bite from it so i decided to go further so i opened the cage door and the i entered my hand in the cage catching the piece of the apple with two finger and waited and after a will he came to it with caution and took a bit and gone rounding in the cage and come a gain to a second bite i tried to move my hand near the cage door every time to make him go out from the cage eating from my hand but he stops at the cage door . and when i move my hand away he climbs out of the cage by him self .the next two days i let him out from the cage without touching him even i fall asleep near the cage but he refuse to come back to the cage by him self even if he is hungry and don't attract to any food to come back to the cage so i try to pick him up without catching him to return him to the cage sure he jump from my hand a lot but every time he try to jump i but my other hand in front of him so he climb it and the the other hand until i reach the cage door and the i put he i the edge of the door the he enter the cage.Today i did the same thing of letting him out four about and hour a then picking him up but i was wearing a thick gloves to prevent the hurt of his bite because he bite a lot now :( .while he is on my hand i made him near my chest and i put a part of my robe over him while his head are uncovered and looking up to me and i start taking very quit to him he didn't make any sound but tried to bite but i didn't show any attention to it . and then i released him and but a sunflower seed in my hand to eat it he took it with his beak a threw it away and climbed on my finger with holding the sun flower . i hold him again one more time in the same way and i the released him and the i made him enter the cage. that is a long thread i hope that you don't get bored reading it. thanks for all of you
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Guy,
patience

-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
jazzmyringneck

Post by jazzmyringneck »

Hello again,
Thank you subodh, MissK and others for the help you offered me and my other fellows.Guy about your ringnecks coming out of the cage I'm no expert so I'm not going to give you advice .im going to say the truth there is times where my ring necks don't listen too me and i get upset so I think of giving them away but there is this thing that doesn't allow to do it they are very smart for e.g my ringnecks exit their cage by morning without telling them (which sometimes Gud sometimes not)they stay out until it becomes darks they automatically go back in the cage until next morning which in my oppinion is great but now I'm going to start locking them in because its part of the taming instructions that Missk offerd me (thank you very much Missk)
Thank you very much I hope it helps in some way
Pablo
MissK

Post by MissK »

Jazzmyringneck,

Hmmmm. I did not realize you let your birds out All The Time without ever closing their door. This is quite a different situation than I understood.

-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Romantic,

Congratulations finally you got your bird to step up on your hand. I will only put some point on the biting part that was missed by Miss K, please correct me if i am wrong, but my guess is that when you move your hand towards koko for stepping up he must be biting you then. And i know for sure that it must be a painful bite. But please believe me, If its only painful without drawing blood you have won half the race. If it is so then the towel technic has done its job.

That doesnt mean that you immediately get a towel and grab him. Now lets go real slow from here. What i suggest is if you are using gloves for him to step up, use it only in one hand. That is when you initially pick him from the floor or wherever he is perched, use the gloved hand and after that when you are stopping him from jumping from your gloved hand use the ungloved one. Do this for 2 minutes daily for 4 to 5 days. And please dont even think about a handling him with towel in between. I think after 3 to 4 days you might not require even a single glove to get Koko on your hand.

Please keep us posted on what is happening on a daily basis even if it is just routine. I wish you luck.

Subodh
romantic_guy82

Post by romantic_guy82 »

hi guys , thank you Missk and subodhhire.
well Missk there is just two things i may make them clear . koko wasn't out of the cage for the whole two days , i just let him out 1 or 2 hours in the day and then i pick him and return him to the cage with the way i mentioned before, the second thing that i am now always wearing gloves when i am trying to pick him because he bite when he climb from one hand to another because he want to jump to the ground and i prevent him from doing that by blocking the way with my other hand so he just climb it to clear the way then i put the other hand , but if have the chance to jump or he was fast enough he manage to jump to the ground. today i came from the work and i took the food out from koko cage then i wated for and hour or so then i bring some apple pieces to feed koko . i opened the cage door and feed him while my hand are in the cage he ate the most of the apple piece then i tried to make the my finger closer by moving the piece deeper in my hand he hesitating for a wile but he came and took some bites from the piece only if it isn't beyond my finger border . then i opened the cage door and set near it watching he tv and leaving a plate with some apple pieces near me .koko got out by him self and walk in the room . i fall asleep because i was so tired . when my phone ringed i wake up and i found koko standing in the top of the cage near me then i looked to the apples where was in the plate near me i found that koko ate the most of them .the i wear the gloves and picked koko to return him to the cage . i got a couple of bites from him but wasn't hard and i didn't feel them because of the gloves and he jumped one time on the ground but i picked him again and maked him climb from a hand to an another until i put him on the cage door and he entered the cage i put some food in the cage and closed the door .what do you think about that he ate from the apple close to me while iam sleeping not when i was awake ?. waiting to hear from you soon.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Guy,

Please forgive me if I am away for a day or two. I have some things to do.

-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Romantic,

You are progressing with Koko. But please i would also like to know what kind of bite is Koko delivering. I know its scary but try one gloved hand and other without glove, It will help a lot.

Subodh
KaiNinaste

Post by KaiNinaste »

Hi All,

I've been following the thread for a while now, and I have found it very helpful as my little Yoshi is much the same a the moment (although he will not even step on my hand yet!).

With Yoshi it is all about time, I do not want to force anything on him. What I have found very very useful is clicker training. Firstly give him treats and clicks when he takes them, you can then progress that very easy to target training. I've found it works really well with teaching Yoshi to step up, as he just flies away when I ask him to, but by clicker training him and holding the treat in a place where he has to step up he does what I ask, he gets rewarded and he gets rewarded for the right behaviour.

I am also using this for taming him. I come close to him holding a treat, I click and give him a treat and walk away. Sometimes I stroke him with his stick and ruffles his feathers, he enjoys it and has never flown away but he still gets clicked and treated once it is over.

One thing I have noticed, I have recently bought Yoshi a big cage and his behaviour has improved IMMENSELY. He doesn't freak out when I put my hand and arm in there, he doesn't freak out when we walk past and he's more than happy to go home on his own and be shut in!
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi KaiNinaste,

Since you are following this thread you must have read the post of Melika. Yes there are 2 schools of thought as far as taming and training birds is concerned. What i try to do is a mixture of both schools.

For e.g. If it is a hand shy bird normally what happens is the owner is all excited about getting the bird but doesnt have the patience of taming him in the slow process. If you want to remove the fear of your hand from the birds mind properly by using trust technic it might take almost 3 months, lots of patience, some painful bites and daily frustration till he accepts your hand.

Many a time it so happens that the owners dont have that kind of time to spare or simply dont have the patience to go slow. So they just start neglecting the bird and the bird becomes worse than what he was before. I have seen such things happen and its very sad for the bird as well as the owner.

When i come across such type of birds and owners i suggest them towel stuff. It reduces the initial time frame of almost 3 months and brings it down to almost a week. Once the fear of your hand is removed from your birds mind things become a lot more easier for both the bird and its owner. The owner is keen to do things with his bird as he is allowed by the bird to touch him and accepts treats or food from his hand. Once this stage is attained it marks the begining of a wonderful relationship.

Clicker training is best according to me too. But the bird has to accept the treats from your hand and for that he should have no fear of your hand.

Subodh

P.S. Sorry i am a clumsy writer, But i think i have made my point clear.
KaiNinaste

Post by KaiNinaste »

Hey,

I found clicker training a more 'friendlier' alternatively to the towel, especially as It'll help with training in the future. I'm definitely going along the patience route rather than toweling him unless I have to, I feel mean desensitising him to my hand in that way!

Jade.
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Jade,

There are many ways to achieve a goal and every individual can select his own route. I wish you luck.

Subodh
triggerbug

Post by triggerbug »

I just read through this entire thread. RomanticGuy, you are doing well! Especially after taking so many bites! And for the mere fact that you have found a way to get him back into his cage and handle him.

I am interested in the clicker training though. I saw it on youtube a few days ago. Is it merely just clicking a clicker when the bird does something you want it to do? Say I sit there for an hour and Jojo finally takes a bite of the food i'm offering him, do i click it once then? Is it that the clicking noise is friendly to the birds or just the conditioning like with Pavlov's dogs?
Melika

Post by Melika »

If you've ever seen a dolphin or whale show, the clicker is like the dolphin trainer's whistle. It's the signal to the animal that they did what you want and now they get a treat!

You can do the same with 'good bird' or something verbal just the same. Some people just like the clicker and I think also some people are only consistent when using a clicker (from my observation of dog training) which benefits the animal.

So a clicker just means "GOOD! That's what I wanted! Now here comes a treat for you!" Takes practice to get the timing, just like any form of reward.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi triggerbug,

As Melika said clicker or rather the click only means that what the bird has done is right. It can be any other sound like a clap, whistle or just a good boy/girl. Generally a clicker is related to the birds favorite treat or food. But if you use it to trigger food itself like the example that you gave, I really dont know how that will work. I hope others will give a better solution. I personally never use a clicker.

Subodh
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi 'bug,

-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
triggerbug

Post by triggerbug »

Ahhh I see, thanks Melika, Subodhhire and MissK for explaining it to me. I do use the 'Good Boy!' or 'Good Birdy!' after he gets to me and takes the treat, but I keep saying come on, or come on Jojo while he's creeping around the cage trying to check me out.

Good news though, he only took about three minutes to come to me this morning for his apple! :)
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi trigger,

3 minutes, that is really very good. Have patience thats the key.

Subodh
romantic_guy82

Post by romantic_guy82 »

for me its about three hours to make him come to me to eat the piece of apple i am holding for him . he eventually come and stand right next to my hand and eat the major of the apple then he go and stand in his favorite spot away from me until i pick him up and return him to his cage , now when i pick him he don't bite my hand while i wearing to gloves .he may jump to the floor but when i put my hand in front of him he climbs it again.
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Romantic,

Have patience it will come to 3 seconds. You are surely improving so try the one glove technic now. Did you try it yet??

Subodh
romantic_guy82

Post by romantic_guy82 »

hi guys ,
i am losing hope with this bird , every time i let him out he jump to the flour and go to stand in a far spot from me and never look to me he look in the opposite direction all the time i leave him for four or five hour then i try to call him and tell him come koko and holding the apple in my hand "his favorite food" but he stay for a very long time away from me . he may after four or five hours when he is hungry try to come to eat the apple . and some times when i leave the plate of apple on the floor and sitting beside it and not looking to it he comes and eat the apple while i am not looking .whatever i call him he don't come by him self .some times even when he is hungry he don't come either . and when i go to pick him he run from me ( why he always run ) and when i pick him he jump to the floor and run from me . even that when i pick him i say "good koko" and give him a sunflower seed with the other hand he takes it with his beak and drop it without eating it and jump from my hand and run. i try to talk with him with a soft voice and trying to let him look to me but he always looking to the opposite direction when he is on my hand or just searching to some thing to jump on it and if he didn't find any thing he jump on the floor and guess what , he run from me :( . so is that a the end of the road and i won't be able to make him like me or there is a way . i start of thinking to sell him and search for a young bird to be easier to train . what should i do ? wait to see if he may be better or try to find a young bird.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Guy,
I am concerned that I had not understood correctly when you told about him stepping from your one hand to the next.
Best wishes!
-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Romantic,
I went through your entire thread all over again to understand where things have gone wrong.
I am really very sorry to hear that you have given up hopes. But actually if you surrender now all your efforts of some many days will be a total waste. It was a big mistake from my side to suggest you towel thing. I understood the hard way that every person cannot do it in the right way. Please accept my apologies and as mentioned in my earlier I will not suggest it to anyone if I cannot show him/her, how to do it.
There is one more thing that has come to my notice, I don’t think that you have found the favorite treat for your bird yet. In all your post I have only seen you mention sunflower seed, apple and banana. Did you actually try anything else???????? If yes how many times did you try???? Many a times it might take some time for the bird to start liking a treat, and once it starts liking it, he/she will do anything to have it. This is the basic of training the birds. But what appears in your case is that you have not yet figured out Kokos favorite treat and are just fussing over why he is not coming to you.
Before you give up entirely i will suggest you something. Dont let him out of the cage at all for a whole week. Just let him relax in the cage, it seems getting him out is not working for you. Also I have noticed that you dont have the patience to handle this kind of bird. But what I am suggesting now try it and see what happens. Even then if there is no improvement you can take your decision.
Have you tried almonds and cashew nuts??? If not here is what you do.
Remove all the food from the cage at night after koko has eaten properly. Please leave the water in the cage at all times. In the morning when you must be giving Koko breakfast just put one whole almond and one whole cashew nut in his food bowl. Watch him from as far as possible as to whether he is eating it or not. After he has eaten it give him his regular food and let him just relax on his own. Don’t bother him at all. Repeat the same thing for 3 to 4 days. Now keep a watch on what he is eating first almond or cashew? Once you come to know what he is eating first stop giving the other one. Suppose if he is eating the almond first and then going for the cashew stop giving the cashew. And if he is eating the cashew first and then going for the almond stop giving him almond.
So now you will be placing either only one almond or cashew in the morning. And after one hour or so you can feed him his regular food. Don’t let him out of the cage at all.
After 3 to 4 days if it so happens that Koko gets excited to see you in the morning before you drop the almond or cashew and is waiting impatiently for you to drop the treat in the bowl and attack it immediately when you drop it in the bowl. Then from next day onwards start reducing the treat. By reducing I mean if you are giving him one almond start giving him half and slowly you should reduce it further to just a small crumb.
Hopefully if all goes well, koko will be waiting for you impatiently in the morning. He will attack the treat the moment you put it in his bowl. If/When you reach this stage start target training with a clicker inside the cage itself. Hopefully things will go smoothly after that.
This process will take approximately 2 to 3 weeks. During that time don’t try to touch KOKO at all and don’t let him out of the cage too. Try this as a last resort and please do it with full sincerity. Even then if things don’t work between you and Koko, you are free to take your decision.

Subodh

P.S. Hi everyone, Please correct me if there is an error from my side about this post.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Guy. Subodh has suggested a very clear and easy way.
Last edited by MissK on Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
romantic_guy82

Post by romantic_guy82 »

hi all , thank you Missk and subodhhire a lot . I am really happy for your concerns and the advice subodhhire gave to me i will try it first thing tomorrow and see if i can do any good thing with him before thinking of replacing him with a younger one .thanks for you again and i will let you know if there is any progress . i want to ask about some thing , my sister have a Cockatiel pair and have two eggs just hatched from about a week , she tell me that one one the young is growing good and the other one not growing , can i take the little one and try to hand feed him and care of him beside koko or that will be bad for taming koko.and what is target training and from where i can get the clicker or i can bring any thing do the same sound .
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi romantic,

Do you think you can manage that. Cause young birds are very sensitive and if anything goes wrong it can be fatal for the bird. Think twice before getting the bird. Also if its only a week old baby you need to feed it every 3 to 4 hours. Can you manage that time in your daily routine? Romantic i am just confused as to what suggestion should i give you. Hand feeding is a responsibility which should be taken only if you have the right person with you to guide you. Also can you please tell me where are you located? Cause clicker is a very common thing.

Subodh

P.S. PLEASE Dont ignore Koko even if you get the cockatiel.
romantic_guy82

Post by romantic_guy82 »

hi subodhhire , i am from Egypt .i don't know where i can buy the clicker because i didn't search for it yet , but iam asking from where we can buy it to start asking around .
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Romantic,

You should get it in the pet store. And do a lot of research regarding training parrots on google. You will find all your answers there. Also there are some very good videos on youtube about training parrots. You will find target training in it.

Subodh
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Guy,

My best advice for you about this Cockatiel, from my heart, is that you should not raise it. You must also care for your wife, child, and Koko.
-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Romantic,

I totally agree with MissK.

Subodh
romantic_guy82

Post by romantic_guy82 »

thank you guys , i will think about it again
leo1955

Post by leo1955 »

Hi guys,
it's my first time to own an indian ringneck and i found it challenging to tame him. I call him Rich. I was told by the previous owner that Rich is about four months old. He is not tamed, and always run around his cage whenever I want to hold him to feed. When I get to hold him, he never bites me, so I just think that he is still tamable. He eats by himself a little already, but i think it's not enough so i try to feed him still. I wonder why he doesnt want to get out of his cage and whenever i hold him out of his cage, he seems very uneasy and always tries to get back to the cage. I observe that he can be easily handheld during nightime but during daytime, I really find him hard to hold. He doesn't want to step up on my fingers, even at night. Can I still tame him?

Thanks and reading through all posts here makes me learn something about IRN's.

--- Leo1955
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Romantic,

Not heard from you for some time. How are things between you and koko?

Hi leo,

You can tame Rich but please be patient. It seems that you are force feeding him which is very wrong. Is Rich properly weaned or still in the weaning process? And please dont handle him by day or by night against his will. Just stay put, observe him for a couple of days its ok if he is eating less. Many a time in the weaning process the birds tend to eat less. And let us know what your observations are.

Subodh
leo1955

Post by leo1955 »

Hi Guys,
Just want to share my latest observations on my new Rich. Well, I'm quite happy with the progress though sometimes feel impatient on taming him. During daytime he really seems to avoid me, but during night time, he lets me scrub his head and seems relax. I don't understand why his behavior changes during day and night times. I am not anymore handfeeding him since he now eats a lot by himself. He likes sunflower a lot and he also likes banana. I cant wait until he becomes really tamed at all times.
I am working during daytime and I only have so much time with him whenever I arrive home at night, maybe the reason why he is not so easy to be tamed. But I am not losing hope he will be tamed soon.

Leo
leo1955

Post by leo1955 »

Hi Guys,
I tried to post a picture of Rich, but it didn't work. I used photobucket to upload pix, but it still didn't work. Please help how to post.

thanks guys...

Leo
leo1955

Post by leo1955 »

Hope this one will work...

He is Rich, my new IRN
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Leo,

Its a beautiful bird that you have. Why dont you try to interact with him in the mornings. You should get good results.

Subodh
Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

Very nice thread this with lots of info in. I only see it now! Anyway, wondering how its going with Koko. Do you still have him, Guy? Or gave up on him?

Ash
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

I am dying to know the same thing.

Subodh
leo1955

Post by leo1955 »

Tnx Subodh for appreciating my IRN. How I wish to interact with him in the morning, but since i am working during daytime and I have to leave home very early in the morning, I dont really have much time with him except for preparing his food and water. so it's only on saturdays and sundays maybe.
This photo was taken last night.
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi leo,

What happened to the tail?

Subodh
leo1955

Post by leo1955 »

The previous owner told me that the tail broke at the cage bars while he was trying to forcefeed him. That is already the tail condition when i got him a 2 weeks ago...
leo1955

Post by leo1955 »

How soon do you think it would regenerate? I am really looking forward to have it grown to its normal...
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

It should take another 6 to 8 months.

Subodh
leo1955

Post by leo1955 »

Im glad it doesnt take too long to regenerate Rich's tail feathers. :)
Last edited by leo1955 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.