New member Trinnity

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Trinnity

New member Trinnity

Post by Trinnity »

Trinnity here!

Hi. I'm new here. I have a lot of experience with birds over the years. lovebirds, tiels, Pionus parrot, Maximilian, Quaker. canaries. When I moved to NC about 15 years ago, I gave them all away to a nice lady who had dedicated her life to birds and I knew they would be well loved and cared for. I just couldn't move from Virginia to NC with a dozen birds....and an infant. Too much for my husband and me.

Now I have just a lutino lovebird named Sweet Baby Skitters. We call her "skitters". I've been doing some research and decided to get an IRC. I've got a private shop owner looking for one for me. A young one; preferably a male. I see the colors are lovely and these birds seem the right fit for me.

So I'm hoping to learn from you all and even make a few friends.

Hello.
ellieelectrons

Re: New member Trinnity

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Trinnity

Welcome. We look forward to learning with and from you!

Ellie.
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Trinnity,

Welcome to the forum. Yes we all learn from each others experiences.

Subodh
Trinnity

Post by Trinnity »

I'm real excited. I've got a pet shop owner looking for me a hand fed youngster - male. She's reputable. She always gives a reasonable price. She says she thinks she can get me one for between 150-200 dollars. BUT she said she hasn't priced them in a while. These birds are amazing. I'm not a novice at birds, so he'll be well cared for and attended to. Oh I can't wait!!!
MissK

Post by MissK »

However it works out for you I wish you the very best. Welcome.
-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
Trinnity

Post by Trinnity »

My contact said she found a 2 year old for $250 that was said to be "very sweet", but I thought to pass because I was afraid the bird would be distressed from changing owners - that it would grieve. Should I not be concerned about that?
Trinnity

Post by Trinnity »

My contact said she found a 2 year old for $250 that was said to be "very sweet", but I thought to pass because I was afraid the bird would be distressed from changing owners - that it would grieve. Should I not be concerned about that?

Also, I've found a pair I'm gonna look at if they're not sold. Waiting to hear back from owner. I would like to breed them. IF they are brother and sis, can I still breed them?
MissK

Post by MissK »

best wishes

-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
Trinnity

Post by Trinnity »

I found a breeder in SC. I drove there a couple of weeks ago and got 2 blues which are a year and a half old and 2 lutinos which are a year old. The blues are going to my local pet shop owner for my cost plus gas. I'm keeping the 2 lutinos. I've already tamed one of them. It took me 4 hours and that one will now sit on my lap and give me a kissy. I'm working on getting it to perch on my finger. And I'm starting with "pretty bird" for vocalization. The blues are screechers and more stand-offish. I paid 500 for the 4 birds and spent about $110 for gas.

So, total cost for 4 birds was $610.

I'm delighted.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Good Deal! enjoy your kissies!

-MissK
-MissK
Trinnity

Post by Trinnity »

Thank you. They're having the best ole time. I like to put a few peanuts in a ball of paper and they get in the bottom of the cage and tear it up to get the treats. Ringnecks are by far the most entertaining birds I've ever had. I'm loving this.
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Very good deal.

Subodh
Melika

Post by Melika »

Trinnity wrote:Thank you. They're having the best ole time. I like to put a few peanuts in a ball of paper and they get in the bottom of the cage and tear it up to get the treats. Ringnecks are by far the most entertaining birds I've ever had. I'm loving this.
Their love of food and enthusiasm for it is my favourite thing about IRNs. Welcome to the board. :)
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Trinnity

Post by Trinnity »

Aw, Hane is a cutie pie. IRN's are the best birds ever!!! :lol:
Trinnity

Post by Trinnity »

Hello again. I'm hoping this forum is still active. I have one lutino ringneck I've been thinking was male. I'm not so sure now. It will be 3 in the spring, so it's been through 2 molts and still no ring. I noticed today he has one bright pink/orange feather in the back. I don't think it's blood or food. He's in good health, btw. He has a very long tail feather and talks some, but not enough. I blame myself for not working with him more for that. I was assuming he's male - not because I don't like female birds - I do. I was just thinking the ring is so pretty and looking forward to the bird developing it's ring. I've been unable to find how old would the bird be before I have to give up the idea it will be male.

Can you all help me?
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

He's probably just starting to grow in his feathers now. They should all come in over the next few weeks if he's just started. Can you post a pic? Have you had him DNA sexed or anything? I first noticed my boys feathers coming in when he was having a shower. The red feathers weren't visible when he wasn't wet. At first, I panicked and thought he was bleeding but then I realised it was his big boy feathers coming in. After I noticed the first signs, it was a month or two (can't exactly remember how long) before they were all visible.

Ellie.
Trinnity

Post by Trinnity »

I would love to post a pic.

These are about a year old and he had a friend at that time who was promised to another person. I'll try to get a new pic up soon - the thing is I can't find the chord that uploads them from my camera to the computer - the kids misplaced it. Darn kids, they never put anything back - and I'm talking about a seventeen and eighteen year old!
Trinnity

Post by Trinnity »

Trinnity

Post by Trinnity »

I have a question about behavior. What does it mean when they flare their shoulders out. When my boy does this (in his cage) he seems like he's anxious or wants me to pay attention to him. He doesn't do it a lot, he's fairly content. He loves to sit on my shoulder and will give me kissies when he's there.
SunniDai

Post by SunniDai »

This is something males do (although I have seen Sunni do it upon occasion to Olive) and it would appear that he is dancing for you. Nothing to be concerned about.
~Dana

Trinnity

Post by Trinnity »

SunniDai wrote:This is something males do (although I have seen Sunni do it upon occasion to Olive) and it would appear that he is dancing for you. Nothing to be concerned about.
I think he's bonded to me. Maybe he thinks I'm his mate.

Meanwhile, he's getting his big boy feathers coming in. His neck ring is starting in the back and he's now got white under his beak and in his wings. I'm so excited.
Trinnity

Post by Trinnity »

And btw, he's spoiled on love and good food. Today he's having fresh broccoli, green pepper, tomato, strawberries, and romaine lettuce. I may fix him some apple too. And he loves loves loves peanuts. We've had an ice storm here in NC, about an hour north of Raleigh where we live.