First Chicks for 2013 *photos added*

Moderator: Mods

LadyCalypso

First Chicks for 2013 *photos added*

Post by LadyCalypso »

Hi just wanted to show you all a pic of my first clutch of 2013 and the first ringneck clutch ever for me hope I have more to come :mrgreen:
Last edited by LadyCalypso on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
foampo

Re: First Chicks for 2013 and ever for me

Post by foampo »

Cute babies how old they are?
LadyCalypso

Post by LadyCalypso »

All three of them hatched Monday the 18 of February so they are just one day old in the pic
LadyCalypso

Post by LadyCalypso »

4th chick hatched yesterday the 19 of February parents seem to be doing well for their first time
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Congratulations! Well done!

Ellie.
LadyCalypso

Re: First Chicks for 2013 *photos added*

Post by LadyCalypso »

Thanks ellie now just wonder what color they will be they are from my Dom. Edge turquoise cock x turquoise lacewing hen :)
fionalouise1989

Post by fionalouise1989 »

Please keep posting more photos I love seeing the progression from babies to fully feathered :) they are so cute!!
Fi
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Fi - Me too! It's hard to believe those little arms sticking out from their sides could ever be wings that can fly!

LadyCalypso - I know NOTHING about mutations. Have you fed the combination into the gen calc? Do you know what the possibilities are?

Ellie.
LadyCalypso

Post by LadyCalypso »

ok here is the pic for today 3 chicks are 2 days old and the fouth is 1 day old :)
also ellie to answer your question I think that Lushin gave me the pairs genetic calculator results somewhere on here I believe it was going to be blue/lacewing and turquoise/lacewing cocks, and blue and turquoise hens so lol they will be blue and turquoise I think unless the cock bird has any unknown splits :)
sahhbear

Post by sahhbear »

Oh my goodness they're so uglycute it's crazy!! Thank you so much for posting these pictures! I've never seen a baby ringneck that small before. I've bred cockatiels so know what they look like so small but, like Ellie said it's really so hard to believe these little awkward looking balls of skin become the beautiful feathered birds they grow into, isn't it? Best of luck!

Sarah
LadyCalypso

Post by LadyCalypso »

Thanks everyone for the replies and the luck may need some lol well it is day five so three eggs hatched on the 18 of February the next egg hatched on the 20 and the last egg hatched today but the chick is under the pile and is doing well so far
Thanks again for looking and I love all of the posts on here they have helped me a lot and I am sure that I will continue to need help throughout the process of breeding I believe that we can never know everything and can always learn new things from old or new breeders Thanks everyone
fionalouise1989

So cute!! Cant wait to see more you definitely did do well getting 5 out of 5 from what Ive read :)
Fi
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

LadyCalypso wrote:Thanks ellie now just wonder what color they will be they are from my Dom. Edge turquoise cock x turquoise lacewing hen :)
If you breed a SL dom. edged / pallid cock, you should keep it. One day he will produce a SL dom. edged pallid hen, which should be a very interesting combination. :D

Molossus is spot on. Check the youngest one carefully. A chick should be able to raise it's head for it to be fed. When I feed the birds, I normally take out the youngest ones from the bottom of the pile (they always end up there) and put them on the outside. That way they have a fighting chance to get fed, and then return to the middle for the heat. Keep a close eye, may have to give a helping hand in the next couple of days until he is about a week old.

Good luck and congratulations! I'm so jealous of everyone in the northern hemisphere who has breeding birds! :D
LadyCalypso

Post by LadyCalypso »

so the youngest looks to be doing fine had some food in its crop this morning I also pulled it out this morning when I checked the nest as suggested so 3 of them are 5 days the other one is 3 days and the little one is around 36 hours so cute can't wait to see what colors they are and will think about keeping one of the dom. edged birds If I get one I would love to get some pallids they are one of my favorite mutations also the clear tails but really I think they are all beautiful also just for fun here are some pics of other babys that I am hand feeding :) ( had to share)
oldest cockatiels
younger cockatiels the two small ones that have less feathers had some crop issues so they are stunted a little but are doing great now
and another of my favorite Peach Face Love birds
so just for fun wanted to share some other baby pics I am very busy right now with hand feeding but it is most of the time a very rewarding hobby although you do occasionally have some that do not make it and it is so sad breaks my heart my husband said that I worry to much about the chicks lol what can I say they are my feathered kids
sahhbear

Post by sahhbear »

Oh I just love these pictures-thank you!!!! It's been SO long since I've seen a baby cockatiel it just makes my heart melt. You forget how little they are!! :D
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Lady,

Congratulations on getting 5 out of 5. They look great.

Subodh
LadyCalypso

Post by LadyCalypso »

Thanks I was not sure that I would get any as all my birds are younger and have not had any clutches so I was pleasantly surprised when she was able to lay and hatch out five chicks that are so far looking great. Also the cockatiels are so funny it seems like they grow over night they are a favorite among my kids they never fail to help pay the feed and care bill for the rest of the flock Lol and are always so gentile and most the time the kids have them all trained to step up and sometimes even to whistle before they are off to their new homes this will be our first year with ringnecks so it will be a new adventure for our family to teach and love them before they find their homes :)
sahhbear

Post by sahhbear »

I'm living vicariously through you. I no longer breed (cockatiels) so seeing the babies progress is beautiful, thank you so much for sharing. They're funny little things aren't they? I always was fascinated, like Ellie said, that those two little arm looking things grew into such magnificent wings enabling them to fly for miles. Enjoy your new adventure!

Sarah
LadyCalypso

Post by LadyCalypso »

Hi sorry missed yesterday here they are 3 six day old and one 4 day old and one 3 day old
fionalouise1989

those little aliens so adorable!! :)
Fi
blueindianringneck

Post by blueindianringneck »

So super cute! I only have one baby that has hatched (today!) and hope the rest will too lol
LadyCalypso

Post by LadyCalypso »

Thanks everyone I will try to post more pics soon it has been busy here lately :-)
Also blueindianringneck I totally know how you feel lol good luck with your hatching what color are you expecting?
sahhbear

Post by sahhbear »

Aww look at them!! Those beaks are hardening up quickly! Not so fleshy anymore
LadyCalypso

Post by LadyCalypso »

Ok so sorry people I have not been a great pic updater but her they are today (3)14 day old (1)13 day old (1) 11 day old just pulled them and wanted to share really quick. still not sure what color they all are or how long I will have to wait to be able to tell. Also sahhbear I added a few of the other chicks for you :)
Lovebirds 3-4 weeks
Cockatiels 3-4 weeks old
LadyCalypso

Post by LadyCalypso »

ok here is todays photo 3 of them are 17 days old and the other two are a few days behind

sdattrey

Post by sdattrey »

Please let me know what is that container and the thing on which the eggs were lying down.

Since my birds also started mating thatswhy.

Thanks
fionalouise1989

Naww so cute, they grow so fast!! Fi
leo1955

Post by leo1955 »

Wow! so cute! congratulations! I wish someday I can also breed a ringneck. I love it.
leo1955

Post by leo1955 »

Is it not hard to breed Ringnecks? I just started to rear an IRN, starting from a 4-month IRN. I still dont know if it's a male or a female. I want to tame it first before I buy another to pair him.
Is it still possible for him to bond to another bird even if he already is tamed?
leo1955

Post by leo1955 »

Oh I love breeding birds... just to share my new chix,

tnx....
LadyCalypso

Post by LadyCalypso »

Hi everyone sorry it has been crazy around our house lol well here the chicks are today so they are around 32 days old
any Ideas on colors of the lighter chicks I am thinking I have 2 blue and 3 Turquoise?
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

REAL BEAUTIES

Subodh
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

It's at times like this, I wish this forum had a LIKE button!

Beautiful babies.

Ellie.
LadyCalypso

Post by LadyCalypso »

Thanks guys! They are so sweet two have left to their buyer but she said she will send photos I still have the other 3 that arevsold but Inwill continue to hand feed them until their buyer is ready:)
Dream

Post by Dream »

Hi.
So cute babys :)

I wish I were there and could buy them....

I have a pair (male= green and female= blue) They are ready but they don't have eggs yet (I guess)

waiting for new pics :wink: