Hi everyone, thought I should join the fun

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Bird brain house

Hi everyone, thought I should join the fun

Post by Bird brain house »

Hi, I am new here and new to the wonder of ringnecks :)

We recently went to the pet shop looking for a small bird for my son who had birthday money to spend and the lady offered me 2 ringnecks that had just come in from a breeder, they were hand raised and had previously been sold but returned to the breeder as being "savage" "wild" "nasty" ... so we came home with a cockatiel (Victor) for mr 8 and 2 beautiful babies for me to work with. We already had a budgie (Spike who loves miss 4) a cockatiel (Sunny, bonding to 9yo) and a little red rump parrot ( Lilly, other 9yo)... Plus assorted other critters

My guess is that the buyer had done NO research and knew nothing of bluffing as within 3 days I had Benny (Betty) stepping up and spending time on my shoulder and Leo (Leah) reluctantly stepping up. Leo nips hard so going very slow with him/her, not asking for more than 10 seconds at a time on my hand and that only for transferring in and out of the cage.

They love exploring the house and their favorite toys are the Lego, the maths counters( we home school) and a tittle soft 'Roo' toy that they like to have tug-u-wars with.

I have been reading posts here for a few days and love this group so figured it was time to join my very first forum :D
InTheAir

Re: Hi everyone, thought I should join the fun

Post by InTheAir »

Welcome. Wow, sounds like a great house hold to be a bird in. I bet your ringnecks are relieved that they've found a home they can flourish in and will be delightful pets for you.
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new birds.

Subodh
Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

Welcome. I'm sure your ringnecks are happy to be with you too. You will have a nice time on this forum. Its great. Good luck
Bird brain house

Bird brain house

Bird brain house

birdynamnam

Post by birdynamnam »

Hi Bird Brain House, looks like its full throttle over there! I just love to see happy, playful and healthy birds, so many people dont educate themselves on how to keep a bird, which is soo sad, so on the upside, you get to see these happy chaps, and its just wonderful. Keep up the good work!
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Lovely pics! They're so cute when they're babies (they are still babies right?)!

Ellie.
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Cute birds

Subodh
MissK

Post by MissK »

Ohhhhh, the cuteness! Makes me reconsider the idea I can only get a different colour IRN to flock with Rocky. I don't know how to tell two green Ringnecks apart! CAN you tell them apart, visually?

-MissK
-MissK
Bird brain house

I am told that they were first offered for sale in December, I got them after they were returned mid January but I am guessing they are under 6 months.

It is very hard to tell them apart visually, but if you offer your hand it becomes obvious by how hard they bite, Benny nibbles but Leo hurts. I have trimmed some feathers on Benny, small patch on the front and back of his neck, and am hoping they get easier to tell apart as they grow, still need to DNA so maby I will have a boy and a girl, otherwise I may have to think about trading one for a different colour to avoid 30 years of confusion :lol: but I am already so attached to their individual personalities that I think I would have trouble doing that.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Yes, still babies :) - they've still got big eyes!

I'm sure as they grow older and as you get to know them better you'll be able to tell them apart, even if they are the same gender!

Ellie.
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi There,

You can definitely tell them apart after some days. They will come out with different personalities all together and you can surely tell who is who.

Subodh
Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

Oh so cute and lovely they are! I can't enough of ringnecks. Too pretty...... :D