hey !

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Valeria

hey !

Post by Valeria »

Hey everyone !

My name is Valeria and I live in Romania. I bought an blue IRN one year ago from a breeder who told me that is a baby parrot. When I arrived home, I wanted to watch the foot ring because the bird was too wild. When I looked, I saw that he was born in 2010.. and also not have a finger nail.. Then I called back the breeder who told me that the nail will grow back in time (which is not true because I've consulted a vet) and if I don't want it I can go back and change it.

After that .. I said it would be a lot of work before we can understand each other, but I will not go back to change it, because it is not an object to me, is a living being.
Should I worry about the nail absence ?

From last year to now, Paco (this is his/her? name) learned to say "mama"(mother), "pacopa", "ai papat"(you ate?) ..
But I can't touch him .. is very scared. How can I make him to like me?
When I'm cleaning the cage he is not aggressive with me, but when someone else try to put the hand inside he becomes nervous and start to struggle.

Also, when I put seeds in his bowl, he throw it down. He may not like them?

This morning I inspected his neck and I saw that begin to appear a small black spot under his beak. This means the ring should appear?

Beside the IRN, I aso have 3 budgies and when I leave Paco free, he goes straight to attack them. why is it so wild? :(
ellieelectrons

Re: hey !

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Valeria

Welcome to the forum. Lovely to have someone from Romania here!

I don't know / have opinions on all of the questions you've asked, so I'll just answer those that I have some idea about.
Valeria wrote:Should I worry about the nail absence ?
Generally, the bird will function just fine without one toe nail. It's unfortunate but sometimes a bird will have one of their toes ripped off - usually be another aggressive bird. Have you ever noticed that he has any troubles gripping perches or branches? I think that could possibly be the main problem that could be associated with a missing toe nail.
Valeria wrote:From last year to now, Paco (this is his/her? name) learned to say "mama"(mother), "pacopa", "ai papat"(you ate?) ..
That's lovely.
Valeria wrote:But I can't touch him .. is very scared. How can I make him to like me?
When I'm cleaning the cage he is not aggressive with me, but when someone else try to put the hand inside he becomes nervous and start to struggle.
It sounds like you have made some progress with him yourself, which is very good. So keep doing what you are doing and just try to gradually make him a little more tame than he is already. Talk to him, let him observe you doing things in your normal day (without him being the centre of your attention), share your food with him, offer him treats through the cage bars. Find out what his fav foods are and withdraw them from his normal diet and use them as treats. If you want to, you can also try trick training. Once you have him accepting food from you from between the bars of the cage. Next you get him accepting food from you when your hand is inside the cage - then you're probably ready to try to teach him to perch on your hand. Not all birds will like petting, so you may never be able to pet your bird, however you can definitely get him a lot more tame than he is now.
Valeria wrote:Also, when I put seeds in his bowl, he throw it down. He may not like them?
I'm afraid that's just a natural birdy behaviour. It seems very wasteful to us... but in nature, that's one of the ways seeds get spread.
Valeria wrote:This morning I inspected his neck and I saw that begin to appear a small black spot under his beak. This means the ring should appear?
It could be - only the boys get a black ring. A photo would tell for sure. However, I'm sure if you're just starting to see it come through, there will be more black feathers joining it soon.
Valeria wrote:Beside the IRN, I aso have 3 budgies and when I leave Paco free, he goes straight to attack them. why is it so wild?
Unfortunately this may never improve, although it may once he is more comfortable with you. I wouldn't keep your budgies in the same room with Paco when he is out of the cage.

Best wishes Valeria!

Ellie.
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Valeria,

Can you please tell me how you set Paco free?? Then we can work on how you can tame him.

Subodh

P.S. I like the name Paco. Sounds very cute.
Little Buttercup

Post by Little Buttercup »

Hi Valeria, Welcome. Congrats for not taking the bird back to the breeder and trying to give it a nice life. My green ringneck also has nails missing, two on one foot! But it doesn't seem to be bothering him and grips on the cage bars quite nicely. I don't know what happened to him, it was missing when I received him. I'm clicker training him and he is improving but still don't take any treats from my hand so I drop it in his treat bowl then he quickly comes down to take it. He is'nt aggresive if I put my hand in the cage but would rather flutter away. I open the cage in the morning and let him out into the bird room and he is happy. When I want him to go back I use the clicker and peanuts, his favourite treat, and he quickly goes in. So I don't have a problem getting him back in when I want. I would like him to perch on my hand and not be so afraid of my hand.

Ash
Valeria

Post by Valeria »

Hello to everyone and thanks for answers!!

Thank you very much Ellie for your answers... I will try my best with Paco !
Can you please tell me how you set Paco free?? Then we can work on how you can tame him.

Subodh
I open his cage door, and in the next second comes out, but not for fly, just to stay on the cage and looks at everything I do in room. But when is time to go back in cage, I need to catch him with a towel because any favorite food I'll put in his bowl, he is not going back ! I wish I could make him to go back without using the towel but I can't . Even if I let him out all day, he is not going back ..
MissK

Post by MissK »

Please keep us informed!
-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Valeria,

I think Miss k has already given a wonderful solution. But still if he is not going inside and you have to hold him using a towel. Try to speak to him very softly while you are holding him in the towel. If he starts listening to what you are saying by staying still, gradually reduce the use of towel and use bare hands. You will be able to gain his trust that way and he will soon become hand tame.

This will work for you also buttercup.

Subodh
Valeria

Post by Valeria »

Thank you very much for your answers, I will try to tame him, and also keep in touch with you guys.
When I will can add photos and videos, I hope I will show improvements. :D

Thank you ! :P
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

I wish you luck Valeria.

Subodh