Help

Moderator: Mods

Valeria

Help

Post by Valeria »

Hi,

I'm new here. Glad to meet you all. Is my first post and i'm not sure if i post in correct topic (if i'm wrong,ask a moderator to move my post in appropiate section)

Well.... I was bought an Indian Ringneck about 1 year ago. the breeder told me that it have 3-4 months and it is Male.
( on breeder ring is write 2010 )
Now if someone of you can tell me if it is male,because the "ring" doesen't come. I attached pictures below ( if i need to attached different position or some parts of parakeet,tell me and i will post).

I see here are more people who know very well this kind of parrot. Maybe will help me.

Thank's

Edit: I can't add photos...How i can show to you ?
sheyd

Re: Help

Post by sheyd »

think it's about a 2 week wait after you've joined to add pics.

As to the bird, was it nest sexed or DNA'd?
Do you know what colours the parents were?

In regards to a ring, the males will get their rings over the course of a few moults- anywhere from about 15 months to 3 years.
Valeria

Post by Valeria »

I don't know if the nest was s exed or DNA'd, or even what colours the parents were.
The breeder doesn't informed me about that.

On the orange ring from his right foot it says S.I-H 10/0032 and the parrot colour is blue. I think " 10 " from the ring means birth year, because is written differently, more precisely the "10" is written back. Doesn't means 2010?

Also, I saw that everyone can buy this rings from market.

This morning I inspected his neck and I saw that begin to appear a small black spot under his beak.

After age written on the ring, from 2010 to 2013 does not mean it should appear?

Thank you.
Last edited by Valeria on Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
sheyd

Post by sheyd »

I'd give it another year before I determined the bird to be a female- but by the sounds of it it may be getting it's ring (black feathers under the beak) and be a boy after all.
Kiki22

Post by Kiki22 »

My first 2 males didn't get their rings until they were 3 years old. On the other hand, I have a 17 month old who has just had his ring come in his last moult. It varies but allow up to another 2 years to find out for sure or just get a DNA test done :)
MissK

Post by MissK »

:P

-MissK
-MissK