new owner of IRN

Moderator: Mods

romantic_guy82

new owner of IRN

Post by romantic_guy82 »

hello every one . I am happy that i found this forum that is just talking about IRN . I bought a male IRN from about a week . i dont know his age but he has a full ring around his neck and his eyes are all black. his wings are clipped . so the bird get afraid when i am near the cage but when i leave the cage door open he get out by him self and stand on the top of the cage but don't stand for long he keep moving and jumping into any thing near the cage and run away from me. when i but my finger in front of him when he is standing he climp on my finger but he quicly jump into the ground or any thing he can grab and run away from me and don't accept food from my hands even when i removed the food from the cage for 6 hours and tried to feed him from my hands he just walk around the room and climp on every thing but don't come close to me even when iam buting food in front of me. when i go near him with a sun seed in my finger he grab it and throw it, never eat it. so i don't know how to make him trust me and stand still on my hand or accept food from me . please any on tell me from where i start and what to do with this bird. thank you
JamesO

Re: new owner of IRN

Post by JamesO »

Im a new owner of an IRN too..

I am having the same issues with mine.. Although Mine i feel was abused before i purchased him.

I have alot of work to do with my Simon but with patience I'm sure I can gain his trust.

have you had any progress with yours?
MissK

Post by MissK »

Best wishes,
-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
romantic_guy82

Post by romantic_guy82 »

hi Jame , hi MissK ,thank u for replying > and iam sure that ur informations well be so useful for me . i didn't let him out from his cage from a few dayes i started to but to him throw the bars ,banana , apple , tomato , cucumber . but is seems that he loves the apple . tomorow . i tryed to hold a peace of food with my finger and put it throw the bars while holding it, first he was away from me in the cage ,but i stand still and didn't move while iam holding the food .he kept get closer to my hand and then he stoped step away from my hand and he was hesitating to pick up the food from my fingers and he never do that yet
MissK

Post by MissK »

He will! Keep the faith!

-MissK
-MissK
romantic_guy82

Post by romantic_guy82 »

thanks Missk, iam trying with him to make him take the food from my hands thrw the cage bar and i don't make him go out of the cage from about the week. when i come near the cage and put a sunflower seed in my hand throw the bar far from where he is standing some times he knock with his beak on the cage bars and make abad sound bout not loud when i go far from the cage alittle he stop the sound .and when i come back holding the sunflower seend in my finger i come so slowly and but it near the bars he start moving in the cage around and come near me and move around and after a while he come near me and pick the seed from my finger but i take along time from me standing without any movment to make him do that , and some times he ignore me and go eating from his food , what u think about my situation.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Guy,

I think your situation is very good, actually.
Last edited by MissK on Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

wonderful thread and very very enlightening. hi romantic and jamie. hope you guys overcome your problems very soon. but as Miss K said patience is the key. All the best and thanks a lot Miss K, this post is a lot of help for me too.

Subodh
romantic_guy82

Post by romantic_guy82 »

thanks missk very much and thank u subodhhire. Missk u are realy helping me with this, thank you.
MissK

Post by MissK »

:D
-MIssK
Last edited by MissK on Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
romantic_guy82

Post by romantic_guy82 »

tody I did what u said . I cut an apple to asmall pieaces and start eating it near the cage .he came near me and start looking to me I took a pieace with my fingers and gave it to him he moved in the cage and took a bite and moved away in the cage and came back and took another bite then I left between the bars he came and finshed it all .
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Thats really great romantic. keep it up, and things will change drastically.
MissK

Post by MissK »

That is great
Last edited by MissK on Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
romantic_guy82

Post by romantic_guy82 »

thank u Missk
romantic_guy82

Post by romantic_guy82 »

hi all .toady when i was trying the technique that Missk told me that i give him some food from what i am eating . i give him a peace of apple with my fingers through the cage bars . he came hesitating to me like he it counting his steps and took some bites from the apple . but so times he is checking my fingers catching the peace of the apple and idon't know if that is biting or no(he close hi beak on my finger but not hard). and some times he take a mall bites from the apple and drop it from his beak not eating it. tell me what u think about he is doing with me . another thing i want to ask about when iam holding the food for him i keep calling him (come koko) koko is his name. and when he take a bite from the apple i tell him (good koko) is what iam doing is right . thanks for ur help

p.s. i tried to put his photo but the forum didn't allow me idon't know why
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

I think you are doing fine. Just wait till koko starts trusting you completely. Then you will really be happy for the patience that you are showing now. Just go slow and easy.

Subodh
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Hee!, wait until Koko starts Demanding treats!, it didn't take Sanjay long to cotton on once he started accepting pieces of walnut from us. Now everytime we sir down to eat he is there, with bells on!
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Guy,
Best wishes,
-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
romantic_guy82

Post by romantic_guy82 »

thanks Missk iam happy that iam sharing my progress with u . i want to post a photo but i cant put the site in here it says it might be a spam ,
what i do to post a photo
fionalouise1989

Post by fionalouise1989 »

you have to wait until you get 10 posts before you can post links or pictures
regards fi
romantic_guy82

Post by romantic_guy82 »

thanks fionalouise1989 for the information
romantic_guy82

Post by romantic_guy82 »

hi all. i didn't let koko out from the cage from a long time because every time he go out when i open the cage door he run from me and try to enter a narrow places i cant reach him in it (he don't fly because previous owner cut his wings feather} . so what i should ? . don't let him out until he is used to me or let him out and leave him run away from me.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

There doesn't seem much point in letting Koko out if he cannot fly, a bird Needs to be able to fly away if he is scared. Having said that, has he got a playstand?, where he can at least have some liberty and hopefully amuse himself with you in the same vicinity.
MissK

Post by MissK »

I'm glad you made a post because I was wondering how you were doing with him!

-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
romantic_guy82

Post by romantic_guy82 »

hi Missk . how are u ? . thank you for your concern and for your post .i liked it .i did what u told me before about sitting near the cage and watching tv and some time a i fall asleep near the cage . also my wife and my little daughter (3 years old) some time offers him a food through the cage bars and he come and taste what they offer to him even the chocolate or a cake of my daughter she but it near the cage bar and he some times come to taste it .also while iam in the work my wife talk to koko every day untill i felt that he will like her more that he like me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92362735@N02/8394277247/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/92362735@N02/8394292849/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/92362735@N02/8394286787/
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Romantic,

He is a cutie.

Subodh
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Guy,

I'm fine. And I hope you and your family are well!
Last edited by MissK on Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
romantic_guy82

Post by romantic_guy82 »

thanks subodhhire. hi Missk ,thanks for the advice .today i i opened the cage door and took the food from it and prepare a dish with apple and banana it it and sit near the cage watching tv and start eat the apple slowly , then koko got out of the cage a climb over the cage and climb to a near by table and start play and try to chew any thing on the table i let him play but i noticed him .when he try to chew some thing bad for him or it can be broken i say with a little loud voice (no , no koko) he stop it when i say no but he try to chew after 10 second .i tried to make him to come to me by eating the apple and call him with a peace of the apple in my hand but he never come .i let him for about 3 hours . then he tried to climb on a lamp on the table i was afraid the he hurt him self so i tried to but him away from the lamp i tried to but my finger in from of him to climb on it but he run from me around the table i but my other hand so he didn't have place to run he climb on my finger and jumped on another thing so he jumped on the ground and run from me . he climb to my finger when he don't have any space to run but he soon jump from it to any thing near . then my daughter wake up i was afraid the she scare him of or run after him so i picked him up after some tries of climbing and jumping i but my finger in front of the open door of the cage and he jumped from my finger to the cage . but before that i tried to offer him some apple while he is on my finger but he bit my finger.
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Guy,

So sorry you got bitten!
Last edited by MissK on Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Romantic,

I just want to know what kind of a bite was it? I mean was it a severe one with blood coming out or was it sort of moderate which did hurt unbearably but without blood. Or was it bearable but you let go because of the fear.

I wont suggest you do it but it had worked for me. I was only 10 years old then and i had a female IRN named julie. She was very sweet when she was in her cage and use to whistle and call me by name. I wanted her out of the cage and so i started keeping the cage door open for her to come out. In a few days she started to come out but she never used to let me handle her. I was a kid then and was desperate, so inspite of her biting and screaming i started to handle her. Initially i used a towel, I used to catch her with the towel wrapped around her and then i used to speak to her very softly. In the begining she was just struggling to get free but after handling her for a couple of times she calmed down and started to respond. I then stopped using the towel and handle her with bare hands. He did not bite me again. She became so friendly after that she always wanted to sit on my shoulders and roam around. I never closed the door of her cage after that. She used to go inside the cage all by herself in the evenings and come out in the morning. She had got into a habit of climbing on my bed and calling my name to wake me up.

I still miss her a lot :(

Subodh
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Please do Not allow your child to feed him chocolate, it is extremely toxic to birds, as well as other pets.
romantic_guy82

Post by romantic_guy82 »

hi everyone , thanks for all of you (sanjays mummi ,subodhhire ,Missk ) i appreciate you advice .the bite was a bad bite with blood but i didn't afraid from it i can bear some pain and show no reaction to the bite. but i was sad that he did that i felt that i will not be able to make him love me. i really like birds actually i like all the animals i have a lot of fish tanks and i had a cat but i gave it to my sister because my little daughter was treating him bad and catching him wrong that could hurt him, any way i will try again with koko and i hope that i can make any good progress . i want to try the towel method that subodhhire talked about it but i am afraid that make him hate me more. so please tell me can it work in my situation with koko. hope to hear from u soon. i like you to add me in facebook (mohammedelfeky@hotmail.com)
MissK

Post by MissK »

Take heart, Guy. It's going to be OK!
-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hey Romantic,

I told you before telling you my story that i dont suggest you do it. So be patient. It worked for me maybe luckily. But it might not work with every bird the way it worked for me and Julie.

But birds do have a very forgiving nature. I have seen IRNs handled very roughly and still they are bonded tightly to that same person who manhandles.

On second thought, I think in your case you can give it a try, :?: I think the outcome might be positive. But dont just try it once. Fix a time of your leisure and your birds leisure as well and do it for atleast 8 days. And speak to him very very softly like you would speak to a new born humans baby. And keep the session for about 15 to 20 mins daily.
Just one thing dont pull him out of the cage using the towel. Do it when he is outside. And once your days session is over the towel should disappear for the day and appear only at the fixed time next day.

Let us know if you are trying it.

Subodh
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi,

Just wanted to know if you tried the towel technic and if yes what was the outcome?

Subodh
romantic_guy82

Post by romantic_guy82 »

no not yet i will try it tomorrow , thank u for your concern
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

OK waiting.

Subodh
romantic_guy82

Post by romantic_guy82 »

thanks rritoch , i really did catch him with the towel from two days and he bites my as he never did before and injured me . first he make a very loud and bad sound and i kept him near my chest and whisper to him (shshshshs) to calm hm down and he really stopped the loud voice .but he kept bite me so hard and moves in the towel and get loose and i did catch hi, again when he escaped but next time he didn't scream but he just bite so hard . i was afraid that i am doing it wrong so i return him to the cage again .then i didn't catch him again since that but i tried to feed him some apple through the cage bars to see what the influence of what i did to him ,but thank god he still agree to eat the apple from my hand through the cage bar ,i don't know should i do that again or no and is that the right method or what . please tell me what should i do exactly when i catch him with the towel and how i catch him, should i just warp it around him and catch him or i should make his legs on my hand while i am catching him with the towel . thanks to all for your care .
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Romantic,

I am sorry if i was not very clear in my post about towel handling. Let me do it now.

The whole idea of using the towel is to not getting bitten by the bird. And even if he bites he bites through the towel so it wont hurt as it would if he bit directly.

Handle him firmly in the towel and dont get bitten. And if you get bitten dont let go immediately. You can roll him in the towel and then peel the top like a banana skin to expose its head. After you expose its head then start talking to him softly. And repeat this procedure for atleast 3 to 4 days.

Also i am not talking about manhandling. I am just talking about handling and to make it more tolerable for the owner as well as the bird i suggest a towel only initially. Once the bird gets used to you holding
him you can reduce the use of the towel and start using bare hands.

Subodh
romantic_guy82

Post by romantic_guy82 »

thanks subodhhire . I will do that
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Romantic,

I wish you luck and please keep us updated on what is happening.

Subodh
MissK

Post by MissK »

I am also very interested in seeing how this goes.
-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
romantic_guy82

Post by romantic_guy82 »

hi guys,
today i tried the towel method again wearing a gloves in my hands , i opened the cage door and he climb and go out by himself , and then go to the ground and start running from me and hiding as he always do . then i went after him until i made him climb on my hand with plenty of biting of course the i wrapped him with the towel . he always struggle so hard when he is the towel and making a very loud bad noise opening his beak trying to bite any thing he can reach . i got a lot of bad bites from him and i injured although i am wearing the gloves . he kept that very loud sound and i was whispering to him to calm him down but he kept struggling and some time i was afraid that iam catching him hard so he escaped many timed and run to hide from me but i catch him again and do the same thing again . then i lose the towel and tried to catch him with the gloves to be able to control him more , he kept climbing my hand and want to jump to the ground or his cage and biting my hand so hard . but i stopped him with the other hand to climb it and keep doing that to prevent him from jumping to the ground and if he jump he run from me to hide but i catch him again and do the same thing with my hands i did that for about and hour and thing i put him on the cage door and he climbed in the cage and i closed the door . i don't know i am afraid that i did some thing wrong and screwed every thing . please tell me. do i do that again or i stop it , and ca i try to feed him some apple (his favorite food) when i return him to the cage or no. waiting for your reply and i hope to hear from u so soon.
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Romantic,

First and the foremost thing is why did you have to use gloves when you were using towel? And still you are getting bitten? HOW??.

I suggest you please stop the towel technic immediately. Now let the bird calm down for a couple of days before you try something else. It seems you have frightened him a lot.

Subodh
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hey Romantic,

After i read your post again, it seems you were trying to imitate KEN GLOBUS with the gloves and holding the bird with its leg. I suggest you try only one thing at a time. If you try to do 2 things at the same time you are not going to get any results out of it.

Subodh
fionalouise1989

Hey guys

I have been following this post as I am also interested to see if toweling works but by the sounds of it you are just scaring the life out of him so Id take Subodh's advice and cease it immediately. If he is running away from you maybe you are better trying to build trust with food etc for now.

Maybe one day you could make a video Subodh of how to do it so people can see how to do it properly. I find it hard to understand toweling as I never try to force my bird to do anything he doesnt want to do unless he is going to come to harm. I feel like if I force him to do things in the end he will do what I want but secretly will be scared and unhappy with me. But then I guess I have no real need to force my IRN to do anything as he is pretty obediant and pleasant luckily for me.

I read earlier you said when you let him out he runs in place where you cannot get him, is there any room in your house where you can let him out where he cant hide in little places? then you could let him out around the time he eats and just sit there with food and wait til he comes to you (my birdy always seeks me out if he hears me eating no matter what he is doing) and if he doesnt try getting him to step up onto a perch to get him back in the cage. Cant remember if you said whether he steps up or not so if he doesnt disregard that suggestion.

Hope that helps
Fi
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Hi Fi,

You are right, maybe i should make a video of how to do it cause from the above example things have been taken in a totally wrong way. But before that i should try it myself with a different bird. Cause the experience that i have with Julie was a long time back and maybe Julie was an exceptional case.

But i also want to bring one thing to your notice. Once I went with a friend of mine to buy a budgie. It was almost a 45 minutes drive from my friends place to the pet shop. We selected a budgie and the shopkeeper gave us the budgie in a thick paper bag. This Budgie was aviary bred and had minimum contact with humans.

when we got into the car, I removed the budgie from the paper bag and held him in my bare hand. he tried to struggle out of my hands, but i had kept a firm grip and was talking very softly to him. He also bit me but considering a budgie bite it was not very painful. Slowly i let go him in the car as all the windows of the car were closed. First i kept him on my lap and was still talking to him. Let me clear one thing first that i was not driving the car. My friend was driving the car. then slowly i kept him on my hand and was still talking to him softly. And by the time we reached my friends home (In 45 minutes) that budgie was almost hand tame. It required very few efforts for my friend to progress further. This is what i am talking about. It had worked for me but maybe i am not very good at telling people how to do it.

I think i will make a video someday.

Subodh
fionalouise1989

Yes a video would probably be better! I guess you can do what you do with budgie and the towelling but Im always more of a let them slowly like me than forcing it on them kind of person. But I guess its whatever works for you hey.

For now I think that Romantic Guy should just stick to enticing with food to prevent any more damage to their relationship. That is just my opinion anyone can suggest anything else but thats just my thoughts anyway.

Regards Fi
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Yes Fi, I am also of your opinion in this case.

Subodh
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Guy,
As always, I wish you the best!

-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK