Clipped or flying?

Moderator: Mods

Carly_angel

Clipped or flying?

Post by Carly_angel »

hi every one!

I'm going to be buying an IRN in the next week or so, and just wanted some advice... I have a large maisonette apartment, loads of flying space... BUT the main reason I would like the bird is due to its ability to talk and train... So. My questions are...
Is it cruel to clip wings?
Will the IRN learn better/be a better "student" if it has been clipped?
What's best for the bird?

Thanks guys, hope one day I can help you out too!

Carly_angel
Melika

Re: Clipped or flying?

Post by Melika »

The answer to that question is quite philosophical lol but I'll try to avoid that...

Clipping: Bird has no choice but to use you as a means to get from point A to point B.
Flying: Bird doesn't need you, has more independence. Requires more trust of you to be handled.

Clipping: Almost no chance bird will accidentally fly away. Possible falling injuries if never fledged properly.
Flying: Must be very cautious of doors, windows, stovetop, cleaning solvents, etc.

Clipping: Have to pay attention to stages of feather growth/blood feathers to know when to re-trim.
Flying: Mid-air collisions and navigation errors can cause injury.

There are positives and negatives to both.
Hane has been both clipped and unclipped- he is flighted at the moment. The only thing I very much believe MUST be done is allowing a young bird to fully fledge (fly and become an ace flyer) before ever being clipped. This teaches them how to glide and land safely even when clipped.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay
Carly_angel

Post by Carly_angel »

Thank you, thats really informative....

so I will now try to get a young bird that has had all its feathers, learned to fly and then had its wings clipped.

can that all happen in under 6 months?

Also, if a bird is clipped, and you do nothing, the feathers will grow back and the bird will have the ability to fly again?

so you can interchange this state of flying/not flying? am I correct in thinking that?

so to initially train and have lots of trust built, the wings can be clipped then after say a year, allow the feathers to re grow and give the bird more independence... that sounds nice...... opinion?!
MissK

Post by MissK »

Chiming in with my two cents - It will be a cold day in Hell before I clip that bird again.
-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
clawnz

Post by clawnz »

Chip Chip
I am new to this forum and do not want to ruffle to many feathers.

The advice above me is good and sound.
I have taken an aviary female Cockatiel and maybe it did take me a long time but we became very close.
So yes taming a flighted bird is possible. It does take more effort. But the rewards are so much better because you have that trust.
There are a few things about clipped birds you will not read about in most places, as it is a very touchy subject.
But lets just say clipping may seem to eliminate some dangers. But it brings new ones into play.
I know of a few birds that will always have to be clipped for various reasons.
Another that was imped to stop it from keep breaking blood feathers as they were growing back in after being clipped.
Unprotected blood feathers growing in can be a very big worry. They do have a lot of blood in them, and can suffer if nobody is around to stop the bleeding, which is like an open vein.
If a bird was allowed to fully learn to fly and is in great condition, the chances are that it will still be able to fly and well enough to escape.
The two Alex I adopted were clipped and I may still clip them, until I can handle them enough to harness them. This is a work in progress, I am 14/15weeks in and I can at least hold them now. It could take the rest of the year, as I have to work at their pace. One mistake and I never will get a harness on them.
My six Cockertiels are all fully flighted and will never be clipped, but live as a free uncaged flock and I am just the caretaker.
Last edited by clawnz on Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carly_angel

Post by Carly_angel »

This is all really interesting, thank you. I won't make any decisions yet... And I think that un clipped sounds like the best idea. I'm just worried on both sides! So I guess it's whats best for the bird, seeming to be un clipped and freeeee!
MissK

Post by MissK »

Hi Carly,

You'll enjoy it! But it's up to you to make it safe.

-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
demmo

Post by demmo »

Hi there
Birds are meant to fly if you do not have suitable surroundings and you don't want it to fly I suggest you get a dog instead lol

Cheers
Htaco

Post by Htaco »

My bird's wings are clipped, so he has me to depend on for transportation :)
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

I am confused as to what to say. Clipping has its advantages as well as disadvantages. It all depends on what ind of bird you are getting.
I am against clipping birds but have lost 2 birds. My thinking is, If you get your birds when they are at the end of hand feeding stage. I mean just a week before they start the weaning stage. It will help a lot. But for that you need to be committed to the bird for at least 2 months. Also you should know what hand feeding is all about and how to do it in a proper way. Cause it might happen that you bring in a bird home thinking that it will start eating on its own in a weeks time and it doesn't happen so. It might take longer. Also when you are hand feeding a bird lots of things need to be taken care of. But if you really can go through that trouble for your birds sake. I think you can have a wonderful companion whose wings are never clipped and is fully flighted. Actually i am trying this on my 2 Alex and hoping to get good results. My Alex are now in the weaning process.

Subodh
Carly_angel

Post by Carly_angel »

aloha all,
thank you so much for the advice. I went and bought a blue ringneck, just under a year old and a light ring seems to be forming, and bought him home on tuesday (22/01/2013) hes unclipped and from a small aviary, but seems to be coming on well. just getting used to things at the moment but thats cool, we have lots of patience so we can take things at his pace :) dont think I will ever clip him :)
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

Thats great. All the best.

Subodh
MissK

Post by MissK »

Congratulations Carly!
-MissK
Last edited by MissK on Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
-MissK
Carly_angel

Post by Carly_angel »

Thank you! Yes we seem to be getting on, biiiig dilated eyes and coming to the un covered part of the cage more to look what I'm doing or while I chat to him. More crackly noises this evening too :) very cute! Not one showing the ring, not black at all just a faint hunt of another colour to his body that's all, and when he's ok with a camera and more light ill do better photos :) it's Ziggy by the way :D x
subodhhire

Post by subodhhire »

WONDERFULL is all i can say.

Subodh
Crayon Parrots

Post by Crayon Parrots »

Ive never clipped any of my birds wings. Ive even tamed a wild love bird with unclipped wings. I let her out to fly every day and just let her do her own thing and in time she started landing on heads...just heads, then she started to see we had things she liked(food and juice) and in no time at all she was my little buddy. I have an unclipped tame cinnamon green cheek who's never had hers clipped ever...I think she'd be super depressed if I did..MAN does she love to fly. I also have 2 other semi tame green cheeks who I dont think Id ever clip. They also love love love to fly, and come to me randomly when ever, they want and crave attention more and more every time I let them out. I just let them get used to things at their own pace and talk to them and give them yummy things and toys and things to bathe in(I swear my birds are aquatic parrots!) and they eventually see you as something awesome.
Carly_angel

Post by Carly_angel »

here's ziggy :)
demmo

Post by demmo »

Hi carly
Nice pic lovely looking bird

Demmo
Carly_angel

Post by Carly_angel »

aah thank you. hes a very handsome boy! I think he needs his claws clipping, they look massive? opinions? you can see them in the photos...
demmo

Post by demmo »

Hi carly
They don't look too long to me they would have to be that long to grip a thicker perch its when they start to curl back on themselves then they would need doing have a look at posts relating to nail clipping.

Demmo