Health question, Smelly Breath

Moderator: Mods

Hermionestwin

Health question, Smelly Breath

Post by Hermionestwin »

Hey guys I am a lil worried about my Evie, she seems fine but then her breath smells funny...my mum says like a sweaty smell, but I cant seem to put my finger on it what...and her poo has changed colour and consistency over this week...We do feed her seed, nut and fruit and veg throughout the day....but it just seems darker than normal and runny.....also her tail feathers broke off not completely there is still the quill part but yeah....should I take her to the vet??? She also gets a vitamin supplement in her water every second day... She is nearly 3 years old in november :)
MissK

Re: Health question, Smelly Breath

Post by MissK »

I would send Evie to the vet.
Last edited by MissK on Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hermionestwin

Post by Hermionestwin »

Hi
I took her to the vet this morning, poor baby has a small blockage in her stomach, from what we think is the sand paper i use to line her stand to make it easier to clean up her droppings. I took her to an avian vet, I'm lucky that there is one literally up the road from where I live, there is only 2 avian vets in NSW and one is a 15min drive the other is god only knows...But this vet was very good, did x-rays and discovered the problem she is on anti-biotics, calcium supplement and this think called quickgel. I have to take her back for a crop needle Monday and Tuesday....$732 later I have piece of mind that she will/is be fine. She also has a vitamin D deficiency explains the feathers, So I took her out in the afternoon sun, she loved it.
Hermionestwin

Post by Hermionestwin »

Okay, week later we stopped the antibiotics on wednesday after the vets orders and she was given a sort of clean bill of health...but now a few days later she has smelly breath again....I dont know why, I really dont want to take her back to the vet again after spending soo much money on her last week...Should I try to her back???
MissK

Post by MissK »

After spending $700+, I would expect the vet to answer some related questions about the bird.
Last edited by MissK on Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hermionestwin

Post by Hermionestwin »

Well, the cause of the bad breath before was the blockage, which had caused an infection, but she has taken her course of antibiotics and the blockage has been removed, the smell isnt as strong or as potten as last week but still....I might ring the vet tomorrow
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

We invested in an Arcadia UV lamp for Sanjay, it clips to the top of his cage, and provides vitamin D.