1st time breeder.

Moderator: Mods

Sweetleaf

1st time breeder.

Post by Sweetleaf »

Hi all,
Just wanted to share my wonderful news with you all. I have 3 baby IRN in the nest box at the moment.they seem to be doing well. Mum and dad are taking great care with them. This is my first time with breeding birds so as you can tell I'm very excited. I had a lot of guidance from my father in law who used to breed birds for many years. Will keep you updated with their progress over time :D
Elphi

Re: 1st time breeder.

Post by Elphi »

How is it going?? are they ok?? :wink:
Psittacula krameri (Scopoli, 1769)... Incluida en el Catálogo Español de Especies Exóticas Invasoras.
Sweetleaf

Post by Sweetleaf »

Hi Elphi,

Babies are doing great. They are getting really big now. The oldest one has now opened his/hers eyes.
Mum and dad are still doing a great job. I can hear them in their nesting box being fed. :D
Eshana

Post by Eshana »

Hi Sweetleaf

Congratulations on your IRN babies! :D Do you intend hand rearing them? I am also new at breeding IRN's and have been thoroughly enjoying hand rearing so far, though I have to admit you have to plan your life around them. :lol: Great fun...

Cheers
Eshana
Sweetleaf

Post by Sweetleaf »

Hi
Not sure on the hand rearing at this stage. I haven't had the experience. Although my father in law has and is willing to teach me. Also I work through the day so that makes it a bit harder. Mum and dad are doing such a good job with them anyway. I did buy some hand rearing formula in case they weren't feeding them but they are. So far so good :D
Sweetleaf

Post by Sweetleaf »

Eshana
Just out of curiosity. How old we're your babies when you pulled them? Do you have a brooder too?
Cassie
Elphi

Post by Elphi »

Sweetleaf wrote:Hi Elphi,

Babies are doing great. They are getting really big now. The oldest one has now opened his/hers eyes.
Mum and dad are still doing a great job. I can hear them in their nesting box being fed. :D
That sounds Great!! :D
If the parents are doing their job is fantastic! Just wait a bit and try hand rearing (at least with one)... with your father in law's help :wink: That will be a unforgettable experience and you will have a good friend!
Keep us informed and, if you have the opportunity, put some photos of the babies! :mrgreen:
Psittacula krameri (Scopoli, 1769)... Incluida en el Catálogo Español de Especies Exóticas Invasoras.
Eshana

Post by Eshana »

Hi Sweetleaf

I pulled my babies from their nest at three weeks. I have been given excellent advice from fellow site members namely Molossus and Lushen. Lushen is breeding IRN's for a second year now, but Molossus is an old hand at breeding parrots. It is Molossus who has helped me find my way as a novice breeder. He told me that it is best for a novice to remove babies only after 3 weeks, as the babies would be stronger (getting the neccessary antibodies from being fed by their mum IRN) and at this age, they are easier to handle.
I also use a scale to weigh them before and after a feed to ensure I am not over or under feeding them.

Lushen has posted pictures of his IRN babies daily, giving us novice breeders a chance to learn how they grow and how best to take care of them. It is fantastic....check it out under 'My Pairings for the 2012 Season' by Lushen. Fantastic!

I do not have a brooder. I live in Durban, South Africa, where it is fairly warm (even through Winter). I guess if I removed the babies at birth, I would definitely require the use of a brooder. But it is better leaving the babies with their mum for a while, so they get the necessary nutrients and antibodies. But it has been an absolutely delightful experience so far...really enjoying the ride! :lol:

Kind Regards
Eshana
Sweetleaf

Post by Sweetleaf »

That sounds great Eshana. You sound like you really know what you are doing. :D
I wish you all the best with your little babies. Mine are now just under 2 weeks old. It still gets quite cold here in Perth Australia at the moment through the night. There are some great people on here with fantastic advise and knowledge. That's why I joined.

Regards Cassie
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Hi Sweetleaf,

What exciting news for you! I came across your reply to another post from a WA couple who were also just getting into breeding. I'm hoping to hear back from them to see how they got on.
My husband and I are in Bunbury, and have just adopted an adult male. Still building up his confidence in us, but eventually we hope to get him a mate, but not until we are properly set up for it. Do you have your IRN's in an aviary outside or are they inside birds?

Hope all is going well with the babies :)

Regards Deb
Regards Deb
Sweetleaf

Post by Sweetleaf »

Hi Deb
My IRN's are outside in an aviary under my patio. I think it's about 3m long and about 1m wide.
I also have a hand reared IRN inside. He is my baby. Babies are doing really well. Hoping to be able to post a picture up soon of mum and dad. I'm not sure what colour she is. She is kind of silver in colour with darker wings and my male is grey.
Regards Cassie
Sweetleaf

Post by Sweetleaf »

Pics of babies and mum and dad.
Can anyone please tell me my females colour?
Sweetleaf

Post by Sweetleaf »

Oops sorry 1st time being able to post photos :lol:
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Hi Cassie, thanks for your reply.

Wow! Your mum and dad IRNs are gorgeous! I've only seen a couple of pics on the internet of the greys, and I just love them!
And the chicks are sooooo cute and tiny!

Keep us updated on their progress!

Regards Deb
Regards Deb
Eshana

Post by Eshana »

Hi Cassie

I have to say your birds are beautiful....absolutely unusual. I can imagine how beautiful their chicks will be when all feathered out. Please keep the pics coming as the babies grow. Happy breeding.....

Cheers
Eshana
Sweetleaf

Post by Sweetleaf »

So can anyone tell me what colour my female ringneck is?
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Hi Cassie,

I still new to the genetics of IRN's, but she looks similar to blueindianringneck's grey female Luna. I you haven't already, go check out his page that has HEAPS of pics of his flock - you can find the link to the page in his signature. Just search for any of his posts to find it.

But so saying that, she looks like a grey to me, and a very pretty lil' miss at that :)

How are your little babies going? Have you decided to try hand rearing any of them?

Regards Deb
Regards Deb
Sweetleaf

Post by Sweetleaf »

Hi Deb,

Babies are doing very well. I checked out the pics of "Luna". Funny that my girl is named Luna. But she is not a normal grey like my male is. She is very light in colour. Almost white but with darker wings. I'll have to get a better photo of her when she is out in the sun. She is very beautiful. I will post up a photo of my beautiful boy that lives inside with us he is just a normal green. Well I'm. To even sure if he is a he. But he does all the male mating dances. :lol:
I will find out what colour she is soon I guess

Regards Cassie
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

I'm sure you will Cassie, and yes, please post of pic of your green......would love to see him :)
Regards Deb
Sweetleaf

Post by Sweetleaf »

Babies are getting bigger everyday. Looking forward to seeing what colour they will be.
Elphi

Post by Elphi »

Babies are so cute... and the parents have a lovely colour!! they are fantastic!
Sweetleaf

Post by Sweetleaf »

Hi Molossus

Thank you for your reply. :D
I do believe she is a silver hen. I did some web searching but just wanted some confirmation from you experts. So thanks again

Regards Cassie
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Hi Cassie,

How are your babies, and mum and dad going? Any updated photo's to show? How old are they now? Have their feathers started to come through yet? I bet they are just so cute! :D
Regards Deb
Sweetleaf

Post by Sweetleaf »

Hi Deb

Babies are doing great. Pulled them out for hand rearing yesterday. We ended up with 2 blues and 1 grey. Feeding is going ok. They are obviously still quite frightened. They are now 3 1/2 weeks old.
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

OMG!!!! Sooooo cute!! I'm getting clucky!! lol :lol:

Are you going to keep them, or sell them after they've been weaned? I would be very interested if you ARE selling :D

We've decided Skittles needs to have company of his own feathered kind.....my heart breaks every time he hears the 28s and cockatoo's flying past the house, and calls (cries) out to them :cry: So the plan is to either find a mature but TAME hen for him, (so we can try an convince him that it's ok to sit on our hand too), or go for a younger chick to reinforce the bonding with us also. Our preferred colours are either blue or grey....or maybe violet, although they are getting up in price then -(but such a pretty colour! :mrgreen: )

Let me know if you need a buyer :lol: and good luck with your hand-rearing!

Regards Deb
Regards Deb
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

PS: I'd be interested to see what the more knowledgeable breeders of the forum think about the genetics of your parents (being grey cock and silver hen), with them having produced 2 blues and 1 grey??? :?:

Anyone care to have a go, as a learning experience for us newbies? :lol:
Regards Deb
Sweetleaf

Post by Sweetleaf »

Hey Deb,

I will be selling them I have already sold 2 to friends of mine. Just gave them another feed and my kids had cuddles with them. They don't like that to much yet. Yeah I would be interested to fine out how they got the blue in them. I was so happy to have blue. Obviously one of the parents must have come from blue.
Will keep you posted on their progress. So far so good :D
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Thanks Cassie! Look forward to the updates :D

Do you plan on DNA testing to determine gender? If your third unsold baby turns out to be a hen, I would definitely be interested in buying and giving her a loving home :) :) :) Is it the grey or a blue that's left?
Regards Deb
Sweetleaf

Post by Sweetleaf »

Hi Molossus,

Will post a pic of the pair and babies when I get time. As you know it's time consuming hand rearing.
Loving every minute of it though :D