My pairings for the 2012 season

Moderator: Mods

Lushen1600

Re: My pairings for the 2012 season

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi Eshana & Johan sorry for the late reply

Eshana its good to hear that your chicks are hatching, how many eggs were laid? Sometimes they take a little longer to hatch due to the weather and sometimes, if you have a big clutch of five or six eggs and the first 3 or four eggs which were laid may be infertile, the last 2 eggs will hatch last and therefore later, so if you are not marking the eggs with numbers, you won't know which eggs the chicks are hatching from.
As for the growth of the chicks, they do grow quite rapidly, so that's the reason y I decided to put pics of the chicks growth on a daily basis so that others as well as myself have something to refer back to in the future.
When it comes to wood shavings, I fill the boxes till the bottom of the inspection door, some hens remove a little, some remove more, as for this hen that has the chicks, I intially thought that she had removed most of her shavings and chewed the rest into smaller pieces, but later realised that what she had in her box is actually pieces of the inside of the nestbox, which she chewed away at. If you refer to earliar posts in this thread you will see that when she started laying you could see the bottom floor of the box, I decided not to add any more shavings and later found that there was more shavings, this was due to the hen making her own by chewing at the box, other breeders choose to continue topping up shavings, but I chose to let this hen be, to see what she does and now I realised that she chose to remove all the shavings which I put, in order to chew at the box and make her own nest.

Johan I'm just as excited about Pair 3 laying as you are, as even if they have only one clutch, it will give me some genetic information about the cock and hen
As for patience, being a carp fishermen myself, I have learnt how to be patient, but sometimes I also would like things to speed up, as I'm sure we all do, but I believe that the birds know best what they are doing and we will have to wait for them when they are ready, will keep you guys posted on any uodates and will put todays pic of the chick later when I get home after work as I am dayshift this week

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Greygreen/cinn x DE Blue Cinn
DE DBlue Turq x Blue Turq CHWT
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi all, sorry for the late post, this was supposed to be posted yesterday afternoon, but I really got caught up with work, here is yesterdays pick of the chicks Day 7
Seems to me that one chicks eye is starting to open from the pic, will be putting on rings onto these chicks in a few days

Will post todays pic of the chicks when I take one out today after work

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
smick

Post by smick »

G'day Lushen,following the post with interest. One question do you put in each time the pairings at the bottom of post or is there a way to save it and add it everytime :? . My pairs are going ok with 2 prs sitting and the other 2 prs mating and entering boxs.
pr1 turquiose blue pallid cock to blue hen- mating but have bred last 2 seasons without problem,allways seem to go later then others.
pr 2 green pallid cock/blue to blue pallid hen-sitting with five eggs.
pr 3 turquiose blue cock/ino to creamino hen-sitting on 4 eggs
pr 4 indigo blue cock possible split pallid to df violet blue hen- mating and entering box,first season,cock 2yrs and hen1. so if nothing happens not worried as young.
Last year green pallid cock was with creamino hen as he was 2 and her 1,bred 2 green pallid babies. the turquiose blue split ino cock was originally bought for the creamino hen but at 1 last year decided to pair her to the other cock. This year he is with his hen and are paired up well and sitting tight. If season goe's well am aiming at getting violet blue pallid cock and pair it to when i breed 1 a indigo violet blue hen from pr 4.
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi all here is an update for today.

This is todays pic of the chicks for Pair 6 - Day 8

Hi Molossus here is a pic of the eggs for Pair 5 taken today which are due to hatch by this weekend, which would you say are fertile and which infertile

Hi Johan, this should excite you Pair 3 is now on 3 eggs

And for all of the newbie breeder who would like to know what patience is worth here is a pic of Pair 2 which has now started laying and is on 2 eggs

Now that leaves Pair 4 which hasn't laid as yet, the hen is still digging the box, she will lay soon. I don't expect Pair 7 to do anything as they are still young

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi Smick, to enter your Pairs in the bottom of the posts got to the top of the screen and click on User control Panel, then on the left side panel click on Profile, then click on edit signature on the left side panel of the next page, then type out your pairings in the space provided and click on update/submit

Nice mutations you have, I also would like to get a creamino some day

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Eshana

Post by Eshana »

Hi Lushen

Love the pics...please keep them coming! My hen from my first pair had laid 3 eggs, but one of the eggs had disappeared. The remaining eggs have hatched so I have two babies from pair one. My 2nd pair have been mating for just over 2 months but the hen only laid her first egg on 1 September and the 2nd egg on 3rd September. This morning I found a broken egg lying at the bottom of the cage. Can't understand why she did that...
I don't know the colours (pallid, creamino, etc) :oops: So I'm just going to call out the colours as I see them. My first pair is a green/olive/yellow hen and a blue/grey male. My 2nd pair are both blue/grey, male and female. :lol: :lol: Now you know just how much I know about colours and mutations...lol... I'm sure Molossus is having a good laugh at my expense too....
Please keep up the good work Lushen and keep us regularly posted, especially us novices....

Cheers
Eshana
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi Eshana, was the broken egg you found on the floor from the nestbox or did the hen lay another egg which cracked on the floor

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Eshana

Post by Eshana »

Hi Lushen

No, the egg was not from her nesting box. It looks like she dropped the egg while sitting on her perch. Not sure if she dropped the egg out of fear. Last night it was very windy and raining quite heavily. My hubby went out to cover the cages with their protective sail covers (which have been built over the cages - like a blind). That might have scared her into dropping the egg...not sure...

Regards
Eshana
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi Eshana, most probably she had laid the egg in the nestbox, and it may have cracked and leak out egg white, thus causing the egg to stick to the bottom of them hen, she then must have come out of the box with the egg stuck to her and whilst in flight outside the nestbox the egg must have fell onto the floor.

Hi guys my hen from Pair 3 is not looking too good, when I went out to feed this morning, she came out the nestbox as usual, she is eating but I notice she seems very lethargic and when flying from the floor of the suspended to the landing perch she sometimes doesn't make it and lands back onto the floor, her balance seems alittle off as well, do you guys thinks that she is eggbound, and what would I do to solve this, I know there are articles on the net on eggbinding, but would prefer to hear from you guys. One breeder has told me in the past that if one of my hens get eggbound, I must wrap her in a towel and hold the towel over steam to have the egg release, anybody ever try this and does this work, according to my records she is due to lay her next egg either tomorrow, but it could also be late this afternoon. Looking foward to your replies,

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi all, I have just spoken to our bird club chairmen, and he says that she is probably, not too good as it is cold here in pietermaritzburg today, and she is probably in the process of laying, he advised not to wrap the bird in a towel and put over steam, I informed him that she is is the nestbox and he said that she will be ok in the nestbox as it is quite warm in there and I shouldn't interfere with her, but just to check on her later this afternoon, he said that if she is eggbound, then I should take her out and keep her indoors in a seperate cage with a light to keep her warm so that she will release the egg, but only if I'm certain that she is eggbound, he also said that if I do take her out the cage to keep her inside, she may not go back to sit on her eggs and I may have to foster the eggs.

Would still like to hear what the rest of you guys have to say

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Eshana

Post by Eshana »

Hi Lushen

So sorry about your hen :( Hope this weather lets up. It is miserably cold and rainy here in Durbs and I am pretty worried about my birds as well, especially the babies. About your hen, I suggest you perhaps e-mail or ppm Molossus. He has such a lot of experience and is always willing to share his invaluable advice. I can imagine how worried you are....

Eshana
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi guys thanks for the replies, I checked on the hen when I came from work and she seems to be looking better but hasn't laid her 4th egg as yet, I would be more relieved once she has laid, then I know thar she is gonna be ok, she is in the nestbox most of the time, will check on her tomorrow and let you guys know how she is doing, I'm not sure if she is eggbound or just under the weather but she is now looking much better than before. Sorry I couldn't reply earliar, I was at our bird club comittee meeting and only got home now.

Also before I go here is a pic of the chicks for Pair 6 for the 05 September 2012 - Day 9

I just brought home 5kg of Avi-Plus phase 2 handrearing feed which I had ordered through our club, now will have to get some syringes, towels, 1 mixing bowl and 1 tumbler and I will be ready for handrearing, I already have my boxes and shavings, but will need to ask my wife to get some polar fleece to keep the babies warm

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi Lushen, I have only read your post now as I have been so busy. I hope your hen is ok. Please keep us posted. I lost a hen due to being egg bound and extreme heat in the nest box(major heat wave), so I know the feeling.
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi Carmen, thanks for the reply, I never knew that you lost a hen due to her being eggbound, sorry to hear about that.

I heard her moving around in the box this morning when I was feeding before leaving to work, so I never check the nestbox as I didn't want to disturb her, will check again today after 16h00 when I get home from work and keep you guys posted, I hope she will be ok and I hope by the time I get home from work today that she would lay her 4th egg by then and then I will be relieved

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi all, I've checked on the lutino hen from pair 3 yesterday, and she seemed fine, although she hasn't laid her 4th egg as yet, saw her come out her nestbox and feed and go back in this morning, will check on her when I go back home from work today, will also check if she has laid her 4th egg.

Here is an update for yesterday of Pair 6's chicks -Day 10

Will post todays pic of the chicks later once I take one out when I get home from work, will also start ringing the biggest chick tomorrow as the biggest chick will be 12 days old

At what age do you guys ring your chicks?

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Hi Lushen

I used to ring my babies between 10-12 days depending on how big they were. Buttercup feeds her babies well, so they are little fatties so had to do them at 10 days, pushing it at 11. I used to wait until the eyes started opening and then try. If they fell off, I would wait a day or 2 and try again.

I once had a list with all the different birds ring sizes and age you had to ring them. By ringnecks they had a 7mm ring and to ring them at 12days. With the bigger babies I found it a tight squeeze to get the ring over their foot. Not impossible but I don't think it was extremely comfortable for the poor little thing(that was my first attempt at ringing), he growled at me. I was using a little vaseline so it would slip on easier and a toothpick just to help pull that back toe through. After that first attempt I started ringing them before the 12day period if the babies were a little plump.

Hope that helps
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi all

Here is todays pic of the chicks of Pair 6 - Day 11
ImageThey have gone so big and starting to open their eyes, will have to definitely start to ring them from tomorrow, Thanks for the info Carmen, hope the rings go on

Pair 2 - I found 3 eggs in the nestbox and 1 egg laid outside which was cracked, so I'm a little sad about that.

Pair 3 - The hen still seems ok but is still on 3 eggs, she hasn't yet laid her 4th, don't know if she stopped laying or if she is eggbound, here is a few pics of her, what do you guys think

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
McmillanBirds

Post by McmillanBirds »

Yay!! My Little Grey has eggs with his lady love!! I am so happy!! :)
Your lutino hen looks ok to me... I am not an expert though, I would keep watching closely though.
All of the wood on my breeding boxes has swollen because of the moisture in the air and I can't open the doors. I am going to have to take a knife or screwdriver in to wedge the doors open!! I hope tomorrows weather is better. It has been absolutely miserable.
Might take Buttercups babies out on Sunday. Will check and see how big they have gotten. They were already taking up half the box space last weekend!
All the best :)
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi all,
I have some very sad news, I lost my Green/ino Cock bird from Pair 5, I found him dead in the nestbox with the hen and their 5 eggs, when I did nestbox inspections today, not sure what happen to him as he was fine yesterday when I was feeding them, I doubt the hen killed him as there was no injuries to him, I think it may have been the bad weather that we had for the past couple days but not sure. The eggs for this pair should start hatching from today, I hope the hen will cope with feeding the chicks on her own.

On to more positive news I managed to ring the 2 bigger chicks from Pair 6, the smalllest one is too small to ring just yet, will ring him/her in 2 days time. Here is todays pic of the chicks Day 12

Pair 3 - I am now convinced that the lutino hen is ok and that she has finished laying, 3 eggs in total, will keep you guys updated on this pair

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Eshana

Post by Eshana »

Hi Lushen

So sorry about you losing your green/ino cock. It must have been the awful weather. I am on the north coast of KZN (La Mercy) and we've had an endless week of cold and rain. I was absolutely terrified for my birds. I can imagine how upset you are. Each bird has it's very own personality, which grows on you. Very difficult when something like this happens. Take Care...

Eshana
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi Eshana, thanks for your condolences, its been 3 years now that I have been keeping birds and this is the first time that I have lost one, sometimes although we try our best and give our birds the best care and the best food, there will still be things which will be out of our control, and although I am sad that I have lost one of my best cock birds(he was a good father, fed his hen and chicks well and helped with incubating) I guess this is one of the things that we have to deal with as birdkeepers, that we will have some losses, but we should still carry on doing the best for our birds cos they deserve the very best. Will keep you guys posted as to how many eggs from Pair 5 hatch and also on how the lutino hen copes on her own to feed the chicks

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi all I went to durban on saturday afternoon and only got back home now, so unfortunately I couldn't get a pic of the chicks for today Day 13, will definitely take out pics of them tomorrow when I come from work.

I went to the back to check on my birds now and noticed that the hen from Pair 3 had laid a very big egg outside her nestbox on the cage floor, so I guess she was struggling to lay the egg as it was very big, the egg in unfortunately cracked so will have to throw it away tomorrow after work, I hope she is ok though, I can't check on her as it is almost midnight, but will check on her first thing tomorrow when I get home from work.

I also heard babies making noise in Pair 1's nestbox, so for now I can tell you that some eggs must of started to hatch but will only be able to update you guys on all the pairs tomorrow after work.

I'm sure that the eggs for Pair 5 must have also started hatching, but can't hear the noise of babies from her nestbox. Pair 5 eggs were laid a few days before Pair 1. Will give you guys a complete update tomorrow

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Eshana

Post by Eshana »

Hi Lushen

Hope you had a great weekend! So glad all your babies are starting to hatch. Do you intend handrearing them all? If so, how will you manage, especially when you have to go to work? I am presently hand rearing two baby conures (ringneck babies will only be ready in 1 1/2 weeks), and I'm finding that it is a full time job. I have to plan my life around their feeding times... :lol: But they are an absolute joy to take care of.... Can't wait for the ringnecks... :D

Cheers
Eshana
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi Eshana, I'm gonna take my babies out at 3 weeks old so that I will give them 3 feeds per day, I will feed them once is the morning, come home and feed them again during my lunch break and again after work, if they need a fourth feed, will give them one before I go to sleep, but I doubt I will.

I won't be handrearing all my babies, it will depend on the colours of the chicks in the nest. For Pair 4, 5 and 6 I will handrear all the babies unless I see something out of the ordinary. For Pair 1, 2 and 3 I will let the parents rear. For Pair 1 I may decide to handrear if I see all black eyed babies, but if I find even 1 red eyed baby, then I will let the parents rear.

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Eshana

Post by Eshana »

Hi Lushen

Do you handrear only the babies you intend selling? Or only those with unusual colours? Those you do not hand rear, do they allow you to touch them when they are fully grown? My IRNs that I purchased early this year are not hand reared birds and will not let me touch them. They don't like it when I go into their cage to clean up and scream their protest at me. :lol: Sorry for so many questions but I am trying to learn from you... Keep well.

Cheers
Eshana
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi Eshana, I'm only going to handrear birds which are going to be sold as pets, the rest will be parent reared to be sold and used as future breeding birds. I'm gonna handrear the cheaper more common colours, and parent rear the more expensive and unusual colours

Here is todays update, sorry that I'm putting this update so late. On inspection of nestboxes, I found the following:-

Pair 1 - 2 chicks hatched, most probably 1 yesterday and 1 today, so yesterday would be Day 0, so here is todays pic for Pair 1 - Day 1
As you will notice, 1 of the chicks seem to have what looks to be an inflated lung or air sac, but I could be wrong, it just seems to high to be the birds crop, will recheck tomorrow with another pic, but can someone clarify what this is?

Pair 2 - still on 3 eggs, no pic was taken

Pair 3 - also still on 3 eggs and the hen is ok, no pic was taken

Pair 4 - still hasn't laid, hen still digging the nestbox

Pair 5 - no eggs have hatched yet, not sure if they are fertile or infertile, will need to get myself a little torch so that I can candle my birds eggs, will leave the hen to sit on her eggs, seeing that I lost the cock bird. Here is a pic of the eggs taken today

Pair 6 - had to put on the rings for the 2 bigger chicks again, as I found they had come loose and were lying in the nestbox. The biggest chick is now 14 days old, the second chick is 13 days old and the smallest chick is 12 days old and currently too small to ring. Here is todays pic Pair 6 - Day 14

My maroon bellied conure pair started digging their box so I'm hoping that they will lay soon, my pair of white racing pigeons is on their second set of 2 eggs(first set was infertile, very young pair, only 8 months old) which I'm hoping to be fertile, but highly doubt that they are, time will tell as they are due to hatch by the 24/09/2012. That's all for today

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Lushen1600 wrote:As you will notice, 1 of the chicks seem to have what looks to be an inflated lung or air sac, but I could be wrong, it just seems to high to be the birds crop, will recheck tomorrow with another pic, but can someone clarify what this is?
Looks like the crop to me. You can sometimes gently massage this air sack out.
Lushen1600 wrote:Pair 5 - no eggs have hatched yet, not sure if they are fertile or infertile, will need to get myself a little torch so that I can candle my birds eggs
I have downloaded and installed a torchlight app on my phone. I have been candling my eggs with the phone this season. It is more than bright enough, and being an LED, also doesn't get hot enough to damage the egg.
Lushen1600 wrote:My maroon bellied conure pair started digging their box so I'm hoping that they will lay soon.
I LOVE maroon bellies and green cheeks. In my opinion, they are far superior pets to IRN. They have awesome personalities and character.
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi all here is a quick update for today

Pair 1 - 3rd chick hatched, here is a pic of Pair 1 - Day 2Image
Seems as thought there is no inflated air sac showing today

Pair 5 - still no eggs have hatched, used Johans technique and used my cellphone flash to candle the eggs, found 4 infertile eggs and 1 fertile egg - no pic taken but if you look at yesterdays pic it will confirm this, you will see the 1 smaller egg looks a different colour to the 4 larger eggs, so not a very good fertility ratio, will most probably keep this chick if it hatches, in remembrance of its dad which I lost last week.

Pair 6 - The rings seem to have stayed onto the chicks, doubt they will come off now, will have to wait for the smaller chick to grow some more before I can put a ring on it. Here is a pic of Pair 6 - Day 15

Hi Johan, I do agree with you, maroon bellies and green cheeks do make excellent pets, I would like to however parent rear any babies which I get from this pair, as they seem to be very scarce here in pietermaritzburg as compared to green cheeks which are very common, want to look for someone else closeby who is also breeding maroon bellies so that I can have my lot sexed and buy the opposite sexes of what I get so I can make new unrelated pairs

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi all just a quick question Pair 5 where I have lost the Green/ino cock has not had a very good fertility ratio from the tim I had it, last year the hen laid 5 eggs first round and only 2 chicks hatched, second round she laid 4 eggs and all were infertile.

This year she laid 5 eggs and only 1 fertile egg.

Spoke to out bird club chairmen and he said if I'm getting infertile eggs, then 90% of the time the blame could be pointed to the cock bird and only 10% of the time will it be the hens fault.

My question is, what are the causes of infertile eggs and would it be a sign of an old cock bird. The reason I ask is that Pair 5 was the first pair of birds I bought and the breeder oi bought them from wasn't totally honest to me with regards to these birds, only found that out after I joined this forum that some of the information he gave me was incorrect. He told me that the cock bird was 4 years old and the hen was 3 years old when I bought it, but now I'm thinking that the cock bird may have been an old bird as they is no way of telling the age of a bird if it doesn't have a ring. Would like to hear your thoughts on this

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Lushen, it is hard to tell what went wrong there, but there are a number of reasons for infertility. Perhaps the cock has problems (under developed organs, age, who knows?), perhaps the hen has similar, sometimes both are perfect and they simply aren't compatible (split them up and they breed like crazy with the new partners). Sometimes it's not the birds, but environmental factors. Could be something like the diet, could be the perches, etc. Hopefully, you'll get some more feedback.

The years have taught us some hard lessons. 1) I rarely by mature birds, and only from people that I really know well and trust. 2) I rarely by birds from person AB if the ring on the bird doesn't say AB. Cut out the middle man, and by directly from the breeder. That way, you can phone them up any time and they'll be able to answer questions about your bird. If you follow these rules, you will severely limit your options and you will need to be extra patient to find the exact bird you are looking for. However, a lot of risk is cut out in this process. The only time you don't have this luxury is when you purchase super rare mutations. Like they say, "Use it, don't use it."
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi Johan thanks for your reply, I have learnt my lesson and will only buy young birds from now onwards, and will also only buy from reputable breeders who ring their birds and have adequate records. Your reply about the cause of infertile eggs does make sense. I willl be putting the lutino female with another male for next season to see what happens. Any suggestions as to what colour male I should get for her?

Here is an update for today
Pair 1 - still only 3 chicks hatched, 2 more eggs to go - Day 3

Pair 5 - the only egg which I saw to be fertile hatched, please excuse the poor quality pics from here onwards, it was late in the evening and my mobile phone battery was low, so the flash didn't want to activate, will get better pics tomorrow. Day 0
Seeing that this is the only chick that the mother is going to feed, I would like to see how quickly this chick grows, in comparison to the chicks in Pair 6, also I think I may need to ring this chick earliar if it grows quickly

Pair 6 - Once again I apologise for the porr quality pic, will take better pics out tomorrow. Day 16

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi all here is todays update

Pair 1 - 4th chick now hatched, all black eyed babies so far so maybe the cock bird is not split ino, as I was hoping for, but just a normal true blue, so all male chicks will be blue/pallid and all females will be just blue, here is todays pics of the chicks - Day 4

Pair 5 - here is todays pic of the only chick, black eyed as well so it will be green like its dad, if its a male, it will be split ino, if its a female, it will carry no splits - Day 1

Pair 6 - gonna take these chicks out on sunday for handrearing, they will be 18, 19 and 20 days old, here is todays pic - Day 17

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Lushen1600 wrote:Pair 1 - 4th chick now hatched, all black eyed babies so far so maybe the cock bird is not split ino, as I was hoping for
Careful to jump to conclusions to soon, Lushen. You will need some more chicks (typically at least three nests) to be very certain. Sometimes you need up to 18 young from the same parents to have a confidence of more than 95%.

This season has been rather cruel to us. Three pairs of split fallow to fallow; 3/13 red-eyed babies. One pair gave 1/6, the other 0/5 and the other 2/2. And, like you, I have already started jumping to conclusions about some of them that I probably shouldn't do. :lol:
Eshana

Post by Eshana »

Hi Lushen

Your babies are all looking really good. Sad that only one egg hatched from pair five, especially since you lost the cock bird from that pair. You will have your hands full this week, when you pull your babies for hand rearing...but it is such fun! :D Really enjoying all the pics. Dying to see what colours you get when the babies start to feather out (on those birds that you plan on keeping), so please keep us updated with regular pics.

Cheers
Eshana
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi all here is the update for Friday 14/09/2012, sorry that it is late

Pair 1 - stiil 4 chicks, think the last egg is infertile, gonna leave it in anyway, here is a pic with the mum in the nestbox with the chicks - Day 5

Pair 5 - here is a pic of the chick - Day 2

Pair 6 - here is a pic of the chick - Day 18

Hi Johan, I will definitely keep that in mind and watch future clutches to get the proper genetics for this birds. Thanks for the reminder

Hi Eshana, will continue to update you guys on my chicks daily growth. The chicks in Pair 6 are already quite used to my hands, cos I play with them everyday in the nestbox when I take out my pics, as you will see with the above pic that they are stretching their heads out to me, instead of running away which the chicks I bred last year used to do.

Will post todays updates later today

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi all here is the update for today Saturday 15/09/2012

Pair 1 - here is todays pic - Day 6

Pair 5 - here is todays pic - Day 3

Pair 6 - here is todays pic - Day 19

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi all here is the update for Sunday 16/09/2012, sorry for the late post

Pair 1 - here is a pic for the day, Day 7

Pair 5 - here is a pic for the day - Day 4
Growth of this chick seems a little slow

Pair 6 - here is the last pic of the chicks in their nestbox - Day 20

And here is a pic of them in their box indoors after taking them away from their parents after lunch time
They all were quiet easy to feed especially the 2 smaller ones which ate from the syringe quite well, the biggest one ate but not as eagerly, fed them twice yesterday and once this morning.

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi all here is an update for Monday 17/09/2012, once again sorry this update is late, my day got a bit hectic yesterday and wasn't able to post pics of the chicks, but here they are, will try and post todays update later today

Pair 1 - here is the days pic - Day 8
Please excuse the bad pic, not sure how the black lines came on it, only noticed late last night and was too late to take another pic

Pair 5 - here is the days pic - Day 5
As you can see the mother is feeding well as the crop if full, but growth seems slow, this chick came from the smallest egg so that could be a reason why the growth is slow as it could have been born as a very small chick

Pair 6 - here is the days pic - Day 21
Here you can see them in a cardboard box, cos the whole three was bought by another ringneck owner from Durban who took them yesterday, he promised to send me daily pics of them, so as long as he sends me pics, I will update you guys on their growth, the 2 bigger ones were starting to show green in their feathers and the smallest not showing colour as yet, they were all eating very well, both at lunch time and the evening feeds althought the oldest one ate slowly at yesterday mornings feed, he got used to me and ate much better at the lunch and afternoon feeds

Will update you guys for today later and if the buyer sends me a pic of the chick will post it here

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

Have you candled the eggs of pair 5? If you already mentioned, my apologies. I'm too lazy to re-read everything. :)
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi Johan, I did use the torch on my cellphone(after you gave me the idea) and found that the four large eggs where infertile and the smaller egg was fertile, and the very next day that chick hatched

Hi all here is an update for Tuesday 18/09/2012, was busy with studies so didn't have a chance to go online, I'm writing a paper on friday so please excuse me for all the late entries for this week

Pair 1 - here is the days pic - Day 9
The hen seems to be feeding them well as all of them have full crops

Pair 5 - here is the days pic - Day 6
The chick has seemed to have grown much since the previous days pic

Pair 6 - here are pics sent by the buyer - Day 22

Pair 4 - and finally my patience has paid off, found that pair 4 has start laying and now have 2 eggs in the box, just have to cross fingers and hope that they are fertile, as the male is a very tame handreared male

Will try my very best to put todays pics up later today but no promises

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Eshana

Post by Eshana »

Hi Lushen

I am amazed at how quickly your babies have grown, especially the little one that hatched out of the five eggs. You made referance to a cock bird that was hand reared with the possiblity of those eggs not being fertile. Is this usually the case? Do hand reared birds have a problem reproducing? Was not aware of this. :roll: Learning something new every day. :lol:

Cheers
Eshana
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi Eshana, sometimes handreared adult birds don't do their duty when it comes to breeding, because they become too playful, I have noticed him mating with the female, but he sometimes didn't bend his tail so that his vent touches her, so their is a possibility that their eggs may not be fertile, will just have to wait and see.

The hen from Pair 6 which I just sold chicks from was also handreared by the previous owner, but she did a good job of looking after and bringing up her young, so I wouldn't say that all handreared birds won't be able to breed, it a matter of trial and error to see if the individual bird will do the right thing when breeding season comes along

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Eshana

Post by Eshana »

Thank you Lushen

That clears up a few problems for me, as my kids are determined to hand rear a few chicks and keep them....but I would want the chicks to breed (if they choose to) as they grow older. I have to remind my kids that they cannot keep all the babies :lol: Sorry for being a constant pain Lushen, with all my questions :lol:

Kind Regards
Eshana

PS: best of luck on the paper - Friday!
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi Eshana, you are certainly not being a pain by asking questions, I did the same when I first started and that is the whole purpose of a forum is to answer peoples questions, otherwise forums like this won't exist if there weren't any questions, so ask away, cos I always ask questions, cos I don't know it all, and remember no question is a stupid question.

Here is todays update Wednesday 19/09/2012

Pair 1 - here is todays pic - Day 10

Pair 5 - here is todays pic - Day 7

Pair 6 - here is the pic that the buyer sent of them for today - Day 23

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi all here is an update for today

Firstly I would like to thank a fellow breeder and friend Saif who bought me an LED torch so that I can candle my eggs
As soon as I got it I candled the eggs for Pair 2 and found all 3 eggs are fertile, also candled Pair 3 and found all 3 eggs fertile, now just have to hold thumbs that they incubate the eggs properly and they hatch

Pair 1 - here is todays pic - Day 11

Pair 5 - here is todays pic - Day 8

Pair 6 - here is todays pic sent by the buyer - Day 24
The buyer told me today that all the chicks seem to be getting blueish feathers from the sides of the bodies and tail, but he said that its hard to say and he will confirm in a few days, so I'm not gonna stress about it until he knows for sure that there are also blue feathers coming out with the green feathers

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
willowisp71

Post by willowisp71 »

Hi Lushen,

I'm a newbie to this forum, and have just finished reading through this entire thread. I'm still only learning about IRN's but I must say, following the progress of your pairings and the hatchings is providing a wealth of information about the breeding process, and colour mutations etc. I still don't get how the mutations and colours work, but I find it so interesting!
So sorry to read about your cock from pair 5, that must have been gut-wrenching for you. But seeing the daily photo's of the chicks is just fantastic, (those babies are just gorgeous!), and I will be book-marking this thread to follow their progress.
Now waiting in anticipation for the others to hatch :)

Regards Deb
Regards Deb
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi Willow, thanks for your reply, I'm glad that someone has learnt from my breeding experience and that's the purpose of me documenting my breeding season progress on this forum, so that others as well as myself have something to refer back to. You will in time learn how mutations and colours work, start looking at the primary colours and the basics of genetics and work your way up from there and in no time you will be up to speed.

Here is my update for Friday 21/09/2012, sorry for the late reply, just wanted to relax after my DP test yesterday, it went well, and I know I passed, just have to wait for results, then I got 2 exam papers to study for in November.

Pair 1 - here is the days pic - Day 12
I'm not going ring them just yet, from experience I know that the rings will come off so I'm going to wait 2 days till the bigger chicks are 14 days old and start ringing

Pair 5 - here is the days pic - Day 9

The little guy is growing well and mum is feeding him well without her mate

Pair 6 - here is the pics sent by the buyer for the day - Day 25

Can only see green feathers so far in the pics, will have more feathers in a weeks time so will have to wait till then to see what's happening

Will post todays pics later as I'm day off today

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi all sorry I didn't update yesterday, but here is the update for Saturday 22/09/2012

Pair 1 - Here is the days pic - Day 13

Pair 5 - Here is the days pic - Day 10

Pair 6 - Here is the pic sent by the buyer - Day 26

Thanks
Lushen
Last edited by Lushen1600 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue
Blue x DBlue Turq
Blue x Blue Pallid
Lutino/blue x Blue
Lushen1600

Post by Lushen1600 »

Hi all here is an update for Sunday 23/09/2012

Pair 1 - Here is the days pic - Day 14

Pair 5 - Here is the days pic - Day 11

Pair 6 - Here is the pics sent by the buyer - Day 27

Pair 7 - when feeding, I found the hen was scratching in the box, when she came out and I inspected the box, I found that she was digging in the shavings, I haven't seen this pair mating, so will have to wait and see what happens

I candled my white racing pigeon pairs eggs and found them to be infertile again, so I removed them and will have to wait for them to mate and lay again
When feeding my maroon bellied conures, I noticed that both of them were in their nest box, one popped its head out, looked at me and went back into the nestbox, I inspected and found that they had 1 egg, I'm glad they have started laying, this is the first time I'm breeding conures so I hope all goes well. You can follow the progress of the maroon bellied conures here
http://www.indianringneck.com/forum/vie ... 15&t=15625

Thanks
Lushen
2014 Pairs
Green x Green
DGreen x DBlue
DE Blue/ino x DBlue
Grey/ino x Albino
Pallidino x Lutino
DE Blue Turq x Grey
DE Grey Turq x Blue