max time off eggs?

Moderator: Mods

shell777

max time off eggs?

Post by shell777 »

Does anybody know the maximum time a hen can be off her eggs for before bubs inside die??
Chienderace

Re: max time off eggs?

Post by Chienderace »

There are too many variables to give you an answer to that. The age of the eggs, outside temperature, nesting material. Where are you situated? I have eggs hatch after a full day in summer, others die after 3 hours. The nearer towards hatching, the longer they will survive, but if you are in a cool climate then not very long at all. :roll:
shell777

Post by shell777 »

My IRNs laid their first egg 2 days ago, but she started incubating straight away. she has slept in the nest box the last 2 nights and only comes out to eat but last night i noticed she was out of the nest box before dark for at least an hour. it was fairly cold at the time.. +6? ive never had a IRN pair start incubating from egg 1 and they never left the nest for so long.. so i was debating to pull and put in the incubator or not. Dont want to disturb them if i can avoid it. Shes out for her morning feed now, its about +1 and shes been out for at least half hour so far
Chienderace

Post by Chienderace »

When you say she was incubating it, was she maybe just in the box standing over it as they often do between eggs. I would take heed of what Molossus said in his reply. He is very experienced. Wait until she finishes her clutch , give her 10 days of incubation then candle them. The fertile eggs will be obvious then. I can tell without candling just by the look of the eggs, they haver a leaden look about them.
shell777

Post by shell777 »

Just an update: She went on to lay 3 more eggs, and i candled them yesterday. 2 looked to be infertile, one had a red blood ring and one a red spot. The Hen seems to be a poor sitter. Is there anyway to encourage her to sit on the eggs more? I was thinking about moving their aviary to a different position so they cant see the other ringnecks? should I try let her sort it out or take eggs as she lays and replace with fake eggs?
Chienderace

Post by Chienderace »

I WOULD LEAVE HER NOW AS THE CLUTCH IS MOST LIKELY FINISHED. YOU MAY BE SPOOKING HER YOURSELF SO TRY TO STAY AWAY AND FOCUS ON THE OTHER BIRDS.IF SHE IS BREEDING FOR THE FIRST TIME ITS ALL NEW TO HER AND SHE MAY BE UNCOMFORTABLE WITH IT YOU WILL FIND THAT SHE BECOMES A BETTER SITTER AS SHE BECOMES MORE EXPERIENCED. i HAVE SEVERAL HENS THAT COME OFF THE NEST AS THEY HEAR ME APPROACH, OTHERS I HAVE TO MOVE TO VIEW THEIR EGGS.
julie

Post by julie »

I know in my nest boxes its pretty warm even though its minus 3 outside,I was actually surprised by how warm it was.The hen knows when to go out cause its getting too warm in the box. I have my avairies covered and its quite nice in there when its freezing outside.