HELP!!My IRN attacks me when he knows i'm leaving for work

Moderator: Mods

Jade

HELP!!My IRN attacks me when he knows i'm leaving for work

Post by Jade »

My husband and I breed IRNs. Last breeding season a cat got into the cage and killed the mother and father parrots leaving 3 baby IRNs. They just had pin feathers so I took them to work with me every day and hand raised them. Two of them I put back in the avery when they were fully grown and feathered but the third I kept as a pet. 'Chookie' lives in the house and has never been caged. I keep his wings clipped but thats all. He is quite a happy bird, he is talking (mainly saying his own name) but he has bonded with me. He doesn't really like to be handled by my husband or my 9 yr old son. He sleeps in bed with us when its cold and wakes us up in the morning by pulling our eyelashes. I love my little birdie heaps - only problem is that when he knows I am going to work, he attacks me. He will run after me to the door and bite my toes and if I pick him up to put him on the perch, he bites my fingers. He draws blood. But when I am gone, 5 mins later, he is calm again. What can I do to stop the biting?? I have started 'squaking' back at him and tapping his beak but he just fights back! My husband wants to put a chain on his leg (he is also sick of Chookie pooing on the curtain behind his chair!) HELP!!!
jmmercer

Re: HELP!!My IRN attacks me when he knows i'm leaving for wo

Post by jmmercer »

I've heard that reacting to your bird in any way when it bites you will be seen as attention by your bird. You should never raise your voice or "tap" your bird, and chaining the bird up just sounds cruel. Perhaps a forum expert could better help you with this problem. :/

kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

You must distract the bird, it sounds like you leave before your husband, or someone is there after you leave, so I suggest you get them to take the bird for a walk to another room in the house while you slip out. The other option is to do what I do, when it is time for me to go, I get his favorite treat, and take him to his cage, telling him, Mummy has to go to Work, be back soon, luv you. I say it a few times and put put in the cage with a few of his treats, when I get home I make a big fuss and treat him again. Now he seems to even enjoy me leaving, lol.

The suggestions here are positive actions, calm positive treatment always works better than negative. Positive re-enforcement or distraction tactics.

Eventually he will get use to the routine and know that you will come home.

I hope this helps.

Angie
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Does your bird have a cage? Different people do different things but I wouldn't have mine out of the cage unsupervised for fear they'd chew through electrical wires or some such thing and hurt themselves.

I would also be concerned about accidentally hurting my bird if he slept in bed with me.

Ellie.
kimijean

Post by kimijean »

This thread was started in February of 2005. :O)

Kim
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

lol, thanks for letting us know! :)

I wonder how she got on. My Janey wasn't even thought of back then!

Ellie.
kimijean

Post by kimijean »

I'm a member of several forums and it never fails, a new member starts reading old threads and replies not realizing that it's old. :O)

Kim
jmmercer

Post by jmmercer »

There are a lot of threads that went unanswered. Just scrolling through them.

kimijean

Post by kimijean »

That's a great idea. :O) But chances are when they are that old the person is no longer active. I've done the same so I've learned to look at the dates. :OD

Kim