hi all!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

simzac06

hi all!

Post by simzac06 »

:D
Hi All im new to the Indian ring neck world we have been with a few parrot rescue groups and have looked into alot of info about many diffent types of birds before we settled on a irn today we adopted a Blue Lacewing Hen who is 3 years old. She has had eggs before as she isnt tamed. Any tips on trying to tame a 3 year old bird who hasnt ever been handled?
Many thanks! Lauren
happybird

Re: hi all!

Post by happybird »

welcome to the forum. I am also relatively new, acquired my IRN 6 weeks ago and he was tame. Theres good input here, hopefully someone can assist!
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Lauren

Welcome!

Moving homes can be extremely traumatic for an older bird... so be patient... it's great that she's gone to a good home with you and I'm sure in time she will settle in.

Start by identifying your bird's fav foods. You can do this by putting a pile of different things in a coop cup and putting it in her cage and seeing which items she eats first. Withdraw these from her regular diet and only start offering them as treats. Start by doing it through the cage bars. She probably won't have the courage to take them from you at first... but watch her and when she starts to look less scared than normal or shows a bit of interest in the food or takes a step towards you before retreating, put the food in her food bowl (make sure she sees you do it). The idea is that she associate you with good treats. Keep doing this and try to expect her to get a little closer to taking it from your hand each time until one day she will take it from you hand. It's likely to be a long but rewarding process. You have to look for the littlest signs of improvement and congratulate yourself for achieving that.

Once she is regularly taking treats from your hand through the bars, you can try to get her to come down to the front of the cage with the door open and get her to take it from your hand. Be careful putting your hands into her cage - that is her personal space and she may get aggressive. When I interact with my birds in their cage, I try to let them come to me rather than me raising my hand to them.

Other general things to do include:
- putting your bird in a space where she can observe lots of daily activities of those in the household without being the centre of attention (eg. watching you at your computer, watching tv, eating meals, etc.). She will observe your behaviour and get to know you that way and this will make her feel more comfortable.
- when you can, eat your meals in front of her and attempt to share some of your meal with her (if there is something that's appropriate for her to eat). IRNs are communal eaters. You may even observe her coming closer to inspect what you are doing.

I hope that helps. Good luck and best wishes.

Ellie.
simzac06

Post by simzac06 »

Thanks so much ive noticed she LOVES APPLE! its the only fruit gone that i place in the cage :-) So ill start tomorrow by taking it away from her. Where her cage is outside she can see into the main rooms of the house as there is a LARGE sliding doors we also eat brekky, lunch and dinner out there and i feed her in the mornings when we all eat :-) thsnk you for the help so much will let you all know how we go over the next few weeks :-)
Greenie

Post by Greenie »

A well-established, predictable daily routine will help the new bird relax.

If the environment is chaotic and unstable, it will require more time to tame the bird.

You'll have to show a lot of love and attention and not ignore the animal. Be willing to spend time with the animal, your relationship will grow in due proportion.

The bird will attach to one person more strongly than others.

Be kind and show no violence to the bird or people. Speak without aggression.

These birds are very intelligent and to develop trust you should not deceive them by playing tricks or allowing mean people to harrass the bird.