DF violet cobalt?

Moderator: Mods

njournel101

DF violet cobalt?

Post by njournel101 »

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could post a picture of a DF violet cobalt? I haven't been able to find one online.

Also I have a DF violet that I want to pair with a violet cobalt so I can get the DF violet cobalt mutation. How can you tell apart a violet cobalt from a DF violet? Everything I have read would suggest they look very identical. I am asking because I will be looking to purchase a violet cobalt and I want to make sure I don't get tricked into buying a DF violet instead just because they look the same. I have also been told that violet masks cobalt... Is this true?

Thanks for any help.
Molossus2

Re: DF violet cobalt?

Post by Molossus2 »

Violet does not mask cobalt. The problem is in variants of violet and cobalt which cause confusion because of similarities. What is needed is a show standard for these birds. This will prompt breeders and organizations to take color breeding to a whole new level.
A dbl factor violet is distinguishable from a cobalt violet. A good violet often is mistaken for a cobalt violet though. The breeder needs to be able to prove the color through the parentage and sibling offspring. Best advice I can give is for you to take the dbl factor violet and breed with a violetmauve. You are certain to breed all cobalt violet offspring and dbl fctr violet cobalts. Then you can see the difference from nest to maturity. :mrgreen:
njournel101

Post by njournel101 »

Okay great thanks for the help. You are telling me to pair the DF violet with a violet mauve but is that a better option than pairing it with a violet cobalt? My goal is to get the most purple looking bird possible. Thanks for the help!
madas

Post by madas »

njournel101 wrote:Okay great thanks for the help. You are telling me to pair the DF violet with a violet mauve but is that a better option than pairing it with a violet cobalt? My goal is to get the most purple looking bird possible. Thanks for the help!
With a pair violet(df)blue x mauve violet you will get violetcobalts and violet(df)cobalts. Nothing more. But it isn't easy to find and identify a mauve violet.
If you pair violet(df)blue x violetcobalt you will get violetblue and violet(df)blue beside the two other outcomes from the above pair. So the mauve violet is
a better choice.

madas

ps: costalbird has breed such a bird but unfortunately he isn't responding. :(
Johan S

Post by Johan S »

njournel101 wrote:How can you tell apart a violet cobalt from a DF violet? Everything I have read would suggest they look very identical. I am asking because I will be looking to purchase a violet cobalt and I want to make sure I don't get tricked into buying a DF violet instead just because they look the same.
Two things:

1) You can tell them apart if they are good quality birds. The cobalt violet is a "grey-ish" / "slightly dull", yet dark violet compare to non-dark factored violets (which appear more "purple"). It is difficult to describe in words. Think of it as having photos printed and they ask you if you want the finish in matt/gloss. The matt ("dull") would be the violet cobalt. Unfortunately, this only became apparent to me once I actually saw the two side by side. I still get it wrong sometimes, though. The other thing is, photos are SO misleading and depends heavily on the lighting used/flash/shade/etc. Esp. the almost "professional" photographs are almost never a perfect reference. The colour can also be enhanced, skewing the reality leaving you disappointed with a bird after seeing such an enhanced picture that created very high expectations.

2) If you don't trust the seller, don't buy from him/her. These are not cheap birds you are referring to. You should buy with confidence from trusted sellers, or walk away. And whenever possible, ask to see the parents of the birds.
rod038

Post by rod038 »

Violet Mauve on the right.

mallee_1

Post by mallee_1 »

Rod,

Is the bird on the left Mauve?

Also anyone have picture of turqouise mauve and turqouise mauve cleartails, interested to see how the turqouise interacts with double dark factor blue.

Rigs
rod038

Post by rod038 »

I think it was a Grey on the left.
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

The bird on the left is a mauve and the one on the right is the violet mauve. The violet cobalt is less grey compared to the violet mauve. It's the dbl fctr violet cobalt you are looking for. The pairing I advised you should produce 50% dbl fctr violet cobalts.
rod038

Post by rod038 »

Here is a Mauve and Cobalt.

Johan S

Post by Johan S »

rod038 wrote:I think it was a Grey on the left.
Rod, I think it might be a mauve, hey? When you look at the rump and the back between the wings, there is a definite blue sheen to those feathers. That's normally the first region I check for the blue sheen, the second being the fluffy feathers covering the upper leg.

The bird on the left in the second picture is striking! If you'd humour me for a second and allow me to speculate, I'm inclined to wonder if the Australian 'deep' factor isn't involved in this bird, say as a cobalt 'deep', rather than a mauve. I haven't seen these 'deep' birds in the flesh, but are lead to believe that it is so similar to cobalt/dark, that it has taken a long time to identify and separate them from the dark factor. So much so that they aren't recognised by MUTAVI yet (in IRN). Thus, I think there might actually be many of these mutation combination birds being misidentified, esp. in Australian aviaries. Your thoughts?
madas

Post by madas »

rod038 wrote:Violet Mauve on the right.

The bird on the left is a grey IRN and the one on the right is a mauve violet. This pic was posted by William Stobart on the yahoo group "genetics-psittacine" on 25.12.2009.

:)

madas
rod038

Post by rod038 »

Thats right Madas. William sent me the pic when he was selling the bird as I had never seen one and I was wondering what it looked like.
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

Madas the rump on the grey shows blue even up to where the flight coverts meet.
Must be my eyes playing tricks :roll:
madas

Post by madas »

Molossus2 wrote:Madas the rump on the grey shows blue even up to where the flight coverts meet.
Must be my eyes playing tricks :roll:
Hi,

i have re-checked the pic on three distinct PCs reps. Notebooks because color could depend on the display quality. But i can't see a blue shine on the rump.

madas
smick

Post by smick »

It might be because i'm new to mutations :roll: but if he's trying to get as purple as possible and when i see these cobalts and mauve's, i see to much grey :? . I wonder if it's better to hunt for the best purple looking DF violets and pair them together :!: , my DF violet hen looks more purple to me than the pictures of the mauve's and cobalts but i haven't seen a cobalt in the flesh to really compare.