my irn only eats two types of food

Moderator: Mods

chuckles

my irn only eats two types of food

Post by chuckles »

my irn " it might be African ring neck not sure" only eats apples and one kind of seed from Trill seed mix , i think it is french millet . i tried to feed him cucumber , tomato , lettuce , guava , banana and orange but he just wont eat it . are those two types of food enough for him to stay healthy.
Zeenat

Re: my irn only eats two types of food

Post by Zeenat »

hey!
my irns almost the same he doesnt like tastng a variety of foods he rather just stick to mainly one or two...
apples are a favourite of irns so yeah those are healthy all the way though seeds m not so sure..as far as im concerned too much of anything is harmful...so try laying back on seeds..but apples are a definite yes..
sometimes what i do is i just leave a different kind of food for my irn and at first he ignores it but eventually when he gets hungry he eats it=)
Zeenat
chuckles

Post by chuckles »

ty for your input but what im trying to ask here is can i replace the seeds in his food container in the cage with a mix of fruits and vegetables or he would starve?
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Sanjay would not eat certain foods as a chickster, but as he matured his tastes changed. I spear his peppers and fruit on bamboo skewers and hang them up. Also his sweetcorn cobs and karelia. In one bowl i put half a small melon or slice of papaya and he has a dish of unshelled roasted peanuts and shelled walnuts. He has pelletised food or nutriberries, and a sunflower bar. Apple is peeled and cored as are pears, the seeds contain cyanide. I never offer tomato, as it is related to nightshade, as are potatoes. Let your little guy acquire his tastes by offering an eclectic mix of goodies. Figs are adored (fresh not dried), also blackberries and strawberries, raspberries too, and do'nt let sanjay get started on pomegranite or mini gourds!. Anything with safe seeds to forage!.
mattcoffs

Post by mattcoffs »

My little one is nervous about trying some new foods - but if i have a nibble too she wants in! Anything i'm eating she wants to be a part of. Maybe when you're interacting with your bird you could share a little of your meal with it?