New to the Forum

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Babycino

New to the Forum

Post by Babycino »

8) Hello IRN lovers....happy to be a new member as we have recently bought an Indian Ringneck ( male ??) we have had 'him' for 3 months & what an absolute delight 'Cino' is ! myself & my husband are ' hooked' ! Cino is a happy lovely & yes 'affectionate bird'....he gets lots of attention everyday, has lots of toys ( loves his 'soccer balls' ) & has developed a real character in such a short space of time. I have to admit when we first got him , after reading about Ringnecks there were some reservations as to their temperament ( we had just lost our beloved Chessy, a white face cockatiel ) & we were sorely missing the affection that she gave....anyway within weeks Cino became a family member, much loved already & totally spoilt , so not sure why some of the articles we read weren't favourable. We have purchased Cino as a ' male' ( not sure if breeders can identify gender so early either ) however not really sure as he is only 7 months old ...can anyone give us any clues as to how to tell at this young age? He is a mutation , powder blue , you can see a faint lighter blue line around his neck ...does this indicate that eventually as he reaches maturity it will turn black ? he doesnt have the ' yellow' around the eye as yet , again does this come with maturity ? Cino is already mimicking his squeeky toys & chattering in general l ( presumably trying to get his beak around what we are trying to teach him to say ) so not sure if this is another indicator of his gender. Looking forward to hearing your comments & stories from mums & dads alike about their lovely babies. Oh !almost forgot, at what age can we look forward to ' bluffing' ? can't believe our angel will turn into a monster ( although it be briefly ) ! is this the eqivalent of the terrible two's ? Always having had birds since I was a teenager it doesn't faze me . just some tips on how to handle Cino when the time comes would be great.
Thanks for listening
Happy tweeting Lazza
kimijean

Re: New to the Forum

Post by kimijean »

My 4 month old creamino baby girl (I did a DNA test) seems to have begun the bluffing stage. I weaned her and read that it often starts not long after weaning, but not all birds go through it and females are more prone to it. At least this is what I read when researching it.

Tomorrow I'm picking up a turquoise baby that's still being hand fed 3x a day. :O)

As far as I know the only way to find out if you have a boy or girl is to DAN, or wait for a ring to show.

Kim