Introcing myself and new IRN

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

happybird

Introcing myself and new IRN

Post by happybird »

Hi all. I just want to introduce myself. My husband and I I have recently acquired a beautiful 5 month old IRN, handreared in the local prisons bird project. He has had a lot of attention in his short life. We have only had him 3 days and he seems to be settling in, eating well, quietly spending time with us when he wants to, seems to know what he wants! We are from south Africa and looking forward to making use of this forum.
ellieelectrons

Re: Introcing myself and new IRN

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi happybird

Welcome to the family.

Can you tell me more about the local prison's project... sounds fasincating!

Sounds like you and your little guy are getting along well!

Ellie.
happybird

Post by happybird »

Hi Ellie

Sure - I dont know too any of the details, but basically the project aims to utilise the therapeutic effects of animal interaction and selected prisoners are given the opportunity to hand rear birds, with training of course. Not a lot of prionsoners do it, i think its a privilege. The programme has been going for years and is very successful. It is self-sustaining, few day old babies are given to the prison by breeders and sold for only as much as is needed to feed the birds and buy equipment. They offer ongoing support- the person/people who raised your bird will clip his wings, file his nails and deworm him as long as you want and you can phone any time with queries. The prionsers really know there stuff, so its a great service. I will definitely take Bandit back to visit.

If you google pollsmoor bird project there are some nice articles, the blog wont let me post any URLs as I am new.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Thanks. That's a really cool project. I like this link featuring project photos:
http://shownd.com/andreacampbell/8183/p ... -packaging

Ellie.