My Story Of Taming!! ----- MUST READ -------

Moderator: Mods

Lennytheringneck

My Story Of Taming!! ----- MUST READ -------

Post by Lennytheringneck »

well firstly my indian ringneck was from an aviary and he was 6months old. he had no human contact what so ever. when i bought him home, i left him in his cage to settle in for 2 days without touching him at all, just giving him food and water. after the 2 days training commenced.

Firstly i clipped his wings. and i really do reccommend you clip there wings if you want a tame bird as they become more dependant on you.

I tried many ways to try an calm him down as he was just constantly freaking out and wouldnt let me get close to him. i tried offering him treats but i had no hope. so i just held him firmly and covered his head until his heart beat slowed, once he was calm i put him on the floor then i sat there for 40minutes. after the 40minutes i had him on my shoulder and everyday i do some form of taming.

well 3 months on and he is fully tame as if he was hand reared and i have also harness trained him and he comes outside and he comes to work with me (in a pet shop).

when i was taming it did take a little time and i was doubting that it was a good idea to buy an aviary bird but i guess i was just lucky.

3 main things to remember ---- Trust, Patience, Persevere

i wish all of you the best of luck and please pm me for advice.
ellieelectrons

Re: My Story Of Taming!! ----- MUST READ -------

Post by ellieelectrons »

Lennytheringneck wrote:so i just held him firmly and covered his head until his heart beat slowed,
Personally, I'm not a huge fan of this sort of training, although I know it can work and is more likely to work with younger birds. If you try this with older birds it is likely to make them even more scared of you. I prefer to take it even slower than that. I would have started just trying to get the bird to accept treats from your fingers between the bars... which may take quite some time. I guess I'd prefer the bird to see me as a source of treats and good things and do things because it wants to not because it knows it has to submit.

I'm glad that it worked for you... there are no "rules" when it comes to training. I just wanted to present this point of view to others who might read this post so that people can weigh the options and make their own decisions.

... and well done on harness training, etc. That's quite an achievement and a good idea to do it when your bird is young.

Ellie.
Lennytheringneck

i totally understand you opinion. but i did try the treats for a week but it no luck. i have done this method before and if it doesnt work the first time i just leave it. but hes brilliant so im just offering a method. but again i have done it so many times but i didnt just go full whack in there and grab him. i did it over an hour.

brad
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Brad

Fair enough.... and it's true that there are no rules to training! All birds and trainers are individuals.

Sounds like you and your little guy are doing well together now.

Best wishes. :)

Ellie.
Lennytheringneck

thankyou he is brilliant. i will try and get some pictures up soon :)

brad
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

I look forward to seeing the pictures :)

BTW - you can only post pics or links on here after you've created a certain number of posts (I think it's 10 or 15). The easiest way to add pics is to upload to a photo sharing site (eg. flickr, photo bucket) and then link to or embed the photos in the post.

Ellie.
stv217

Post by stv217 »

I can't help but cringe when reading your comments. Clipping a bird to force it to be dependant on you sounds like Stockholm Syndrome to me.

I had an aviary bird too, and it took me about a month to get Orion to the point where he would lay on his back, play dead, fetch, love being petted, etc. I did this without clipping and without forcing learned helplessness on him.A bird that can fly will have more confidence on its part. Clicker training can easily get results on birds that are scared of hands, as can a training diet.

I don't mean to be attacking you, just letting you and other readers know that there are many ways to tame a bird that don't involve disabling it.
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

Well said!, i coul'dnt agree more.