blueindianringneck

Feathers?

Post by blueindianringneck »

Are these green or blue? They look like little paint brushes lol

Pappagall

Re: Feathers?

Post by Pappagall »

Definitely blues.
This means that your pallid female is split blue.And if the male is not split to anything all young will be green and blue.
Congrats Very nice and healthy :D .
blueindianringneck

Pappagall wrote:Definitely blues.
This means that your pallid female is split blue.And if the male is not split to anything all young will be green and blue.
Congrats Very nice and healthy :D .

okay, thank you! Trying to figure out genetics!
So... that means Sky (Blue) the father, if we get a green baby than that means he was split to green?
And on Dandelion (Green/yellow pallid) the mom is split to blue since there are blue babies.

And I thought females couldn't be split? Only visual.

Is that right? What will the babies be? Blue split to ?
Pappagall

Post by Pappagall »

So... that means Sky (Blue) the father, if we get a green baby than that means he was split to green?
No bird could be split to green.If you know what color were his parents I might be able to tell you if he is split to anything.But most probably you can exclude that he is split to ino because if so there would have had been a good chance that one of the chicks would have red eyes.

You are right for most colors a female could not be split.But there is an exception for blue.

What will the babies be? Blue split to ?
Males-blue split to pallid and greens split to blue pallid.
Females-blue with no split and green split to blue.

Hope I am right.
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

females can be split for any recessive gene not only blue
blueindianringneck

Pappagall wrote:So... that means Sky (Blue) the father, if we get a green baby than that means he was split to green?
No bird could be split to green.If you know what color were his parents I might be able to tell you if he is split to anything.But most probably you can exclude that he is split to ino because if so there would have had been a good chance that one of the chicks would have red eyes.

You are right for most colors a female could not be split.But there is an exception for blue.

What will the babies be? Blue split to ?
Males-blue split to pallid and greens split to blue pallid.
Females-blue with no split and green split to blue.

Hope I am right.

Don't know what color either of their parents were. Are they too young for the eyes to be red yet? We've been looking for that.
So any female regardless of visual, if one of her parents was split she is split blue? What about violet?

Does pallid mean lacewing?
blueindianringneck

mikeb wrote:females can be split for any recessive gene not only blue

so lacewings and such?
Pappagall

Post by Pappagall »

From the other photos none seem to have red eyes.The red eye is mostly visible when they are young and then they darken a little when they get older.This means that all 5 young will be dark colored(green or blue in your case)
Red eyed could mean (lacewings,cinnamon,ino and blueino).So none of yours will be lacewings.To have a lacewing chick the male has to be split lacewing.
A lacewing is another word for pallid.
For a violet chick at least one of the parents has to be a violet.
For your pallid female(mom) to be split blue means that either one of her parents was blue or at least a split blue.
blueindianringneck

Pappagall wrote:From the other photos none seem to have red eyes.The red eye is mostly visible when they are young and then they darken a little when they get older.This means that all 5 young will be dark colored(green or blue in your case)
Red eyed could mean (lacewings,cinnamon,ino and blueino).So none of yours will be lacewings.To have a lacewing chick the male has to be split lacewing.
A lacewing is another word for pallid.
For a violet chick at least one of the parents has to be a violet.
For your pallid female(mom) to be split blue means that either one of her parents was blue or at least a split blue.
okay gotcha. Thank you!
...what's INO? Do you think the mother had one parent that was lacewing in order to be lacewing?
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

ino in a green series bird is a latino (yellow) bird and ino in a blue series bird is an albino (white) bird , and violet like green and grey are dominate genes and no bird male or female can be split for these mutations go to www.gencalc.com and click on psittaculla then indian ringneck in the species list and that will bring to a page that shows the colors and their genetics all of the ones noted as re are recessive gene birds and you will see they are the only ones that females can be split to
blueindianringneck

Meg.E

Post by Meg.E »

Beautiful little babies! I used to breed budgies but it just wasn't for me but soon I will be looking for a female to breed with a blue male of mine. Looking at these photos are making me impatient!! :)