Holiday Snaps

Moderator: Mods

carrie

Holiday Snaps

Post by carrie »

Well somebody had a ball on the houseboat! The walls were carpet so it was a match made in heaven. In fact she's been nothing but a brat since we got back. I think she liked it too much!

Now taking control of the houseboat driving

Enjoying a very large mud crab claw - she loves crab!!!

And finally washing it all down with a beer (mid strength that is)

Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

OMG, is that a Blue Pied :shock: I would kill for a bird like that, she sure is a beauty. Good to hear she didn't get sea sick lol, glad she had a ball. I bet she can't wait until next holdiays
carrie

Post by carrie »

Jeremy - do you really think she's pied? Her feathers have only come through like that in this her first full moult. Her three longest tail feathers came out white with blue tips in her 6 month moult and the vet wasn't sure why. He suspected beak & feather disease but wasn't convinced as he'd never seen anything like that before. He also thought that it may be some sort of genetic mutation coming out in her. She hasn't been back since all of her wing feathers have come through but I am about to book her in for a blood test to determine that everything is okay, but if you reckon she's pied then it would be a great relief to me!
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

I definitely think she is Pied.
If it was some kind of medical condition (PBFD, polyomavirus etc) there would be either yellow or red feathers, not white.
I am absolutely sure she is Pied and is worth over $10k :shock: I am green with envy now :lol:
carrie

Post by carrie »

OMG - ARE YOU SERIOUS??????!!!!!! I am in shock!!! Did you say $10k???? She is such a little devil but we'd better start treating her a bit more carefully if that's for real! I am truly shocked.........
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

Well, it is actually over $10k :shock: I would be giving her extra treats as well :lol:
A very expensive bird you've got their, it is a shame she is not a breeder but if she is your pet, you can do whatever you want with her.
carrie

Post by carrie »

Well you never know - if she keeps up her naughty behaviour she may yet become a breeder! Seriously though - I guess that option is always there. I will still take her to the vet for a once over but you have just made my day. Thankyou thankyou thankyou!!!
kyria
Site Admin
Location: Live in Australia - Have a home in Florida - Citizenship in Heaven

Post by kyria »

Fantastic pictures .. love the Captain pics on the Wheel.

Pied $10K :shock: take insurance out immediately. lol
Angie
---------
Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all sins. {Pro 10:12}
-----------
God Bless

julie

Post by julie »

just out of curiosity how much did you buy her for.
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

Well, if you ever do decide to breed her, it could take up to 5 years to get more Pieds. I believe most Pied Ringneck mutations are recessive so the only quick way to breed Pieds would be to put her with a Pied or a split Pied. But not everyone has a spare $10k just laying around :cry: :lol:

I am facing a similar situation with a different species of bird. So far, there are no known records of a Pied mutation in this particular species so i could be looking at 50k a bird :shock: :D It is also most likely recessive so i should have some Pied babies next season or the one after. Sorry, i don't want to tell anyone what speices of bird it is just yet :wink:
Neokireina

Post by Neokireina »

It could just be because of the moult. My breeders birds look similar like they are pied when they moult. My pet birds dont but these lacewings and stuff look awesome, they are light and dark grey and all cloudy like that. I kinda wish they stayed like that all the time it would be great, but it's just due to the molt, I was pretty surprised when I saw them too.

Just see if those colours stay there or not after moulting.
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

I beilieve Carrie's bird has had the white feathers for quite some time now. I'm not sure, i wil have to look back over old posts.
When a bird moults, the down feathers seem to stick out a bit giving the bird a splotchy white look about them, but Carrie's but actually has white feathers and a white tail. Nothing to do with down feathers or moulting
jen5239
Community Greeter

Post by jen5239 »

Carrie,
What fun pictures those are. She looked like she had a ball. Ick to eating the crab claw tho'. Bleck. :P But that's just my opinion. :D I love the pics. Thanks for sharing!

Jen

P.S. Pied or not, she's beautiful!
Mikaela

Post by Mikaela »

:shock:
~ Mikaela Sky

Datsun and Family

Post by Datsun and Family »

Carrie how exciting!!! I remember when you posted so worried that he feathers were coming through white because of a diet problem!!!!

Well it seems your vet may be correct in thinking it was a mutation coming through! I bet that breeder is slapping himself now!!!!! :shock:

http://indianringneck.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=2029&highlight=#2029
-Chamon-

carrie

Post by carrie »

Thanks for all you replies. I'm still in shock to be honest.

Julie - I paid $450 for her from a pet store which I thought at the time was a tad expensive - especially when I later saw them for sale from breeders for about $150! So I kinda figured I'd been ripped off - now maybe not. To think that I was looking at her thinking how totally messy she was looking with those feathers - we were even calling her our sruffy little girl.

Jeremy - do you think that she'll end up with more white feathers or will it just stay on the wing & tail feathers?
Jeremy
Genetic Advisor

Post by Jeremy »

She is what is called an Acquired Pied, meaning, the bird doesn't get their Pied markings until after a certain moult, usually their first or second moult.
It all depends, my vet says they can get more Pied feathers after each moult, and some don't. I guess you will just have to wait and see.

I have a Pied Green Cheek Conure (possibly the only true Pied in the world), she got a few yellow feathers after her second moult. There is about 3-6 yellow feathers. The vet pulled one of the yellow feathers out and recently, the feather has grown back in and it is yellow :D I have been told they are recessive Pied so it will take 2 seasons to get Pieds. I will let you know how everything goes.
~*Gwennie*~

Post by ~*Gwennie*~ »

that is adorable!
julie

Post by julie »

she is beautiful and very unique $450 is a bargain.
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

Um the average blue around here is 450.00 (or atleast that was what Prinny's sister was going for) Another albino at my breeder was priced at 650.00...of course these are great handraised birds so that's mostly for her time put into the bird.

I've seen pics of pieds...Wow, they are so pretty!

Dani and Prinny