Cockatiels and ringnecks in the same aviary?

Moderator: Mods

Kathleen Hirsinger

Cockatiels and ringnecks in the same aviary?

Post by Kathleen Hirsinger »

Hi all! So far I have kept budgies, cockatiels and I have gathered experiences with African greys and amazons (ma ex-boyfriend used to keep them). Now I have taken to Indian ringnecks. I have never had one, but I love them. They seem to be lovely birds. At the mo I have 4 cockatiels in an aviary. Now my question: Can I keep (one or preferably two) ringnecks together in an aviary with cockatiels or would they hurt each other? Can anyone share any experiences on this issue? Answers much appreciated!!!

TY
Katheen from Germany
ellieelectrons

Re: Cockatiels and ringnecks in the same aviary?

Post by ellieelectrons »

Hi Kathleen

Judging by comments from others previously (I don't have any experience myself), cockatiels and ringies would not be compatible in the same cage as IRNs are bigger and can be very aggressive.

Ellie.
Kathleen Hirsinger

Hm. Thanks. Ok. So the ringnecks would survive. LOl! :D No - seriously- I was more worried about my current inhabitants.... (o:
Kathleen Hirsinger

sounds like will have to buy a second home... )o:
:roll:
kelan

Post by kelan »

Hi, my neighbour has both cockateils and ringnecks in the same aviary. The problem he has is that the cocketiels mess with the eggs of the IRN! otherwise they seem to get along ok, and the cockateis breed in there successfully.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Wow - I suspect it comes down to the temperament of individual birds... you might get lucky... but then again you might not... IRNs can become more aggressive during breeding season.

Ellie.
Kathleen Hirsinger

Thank you for the information. I think I will just try it. I don't want to breed any of the two, so the egg problem is not an issue. I have a big spare cage for the ringies if it doesn't work. But please keep this thread alive - I would love to hear more comments! :!: :P
joejo85

Post by joejo85 »

I don't think they should be together unless both birds are tame & there is tight super vision. I would be scared the IRN would kill the smaller birds. I have seen IRN & Parrotlets playing on the same perch on Youtube
AiSell

Post by AiSell »

No you can't. You need to buy another cage, sorry :(