Any advice on rehabbing...new to this breed

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

Kirstie1978

Any advice on rehabbing...new to this breed

Post by Kirstie1978 »

Hi
I am used to parrots having rehabilitated an African grey and had parrots and parakeets of my own. I am due to pick up a ring neck, male, in a few days as he is cage bound and very unhappy where he is. He is aggressive at present lunge biting people and shrieking when the kids are noisy. Apparently he is very timid and nervous from what I've gathered but does mimic head movements etc so tries to interact. He has been from house to house changing every couple of months. But his age is unknown. I suspect from the photo I have seen that he is starting to pluck too so I'm looking forward to getting him here.
I have rehabilitated a neurotic grey to be hand tame although he still needs work out of the cage but he is now fully feathered not biting and happy. I just want to get information on this breed and checking if there's anything important or specific to this breed that may help or be different to other breeds as I want to make sure I can help him as best as possible
Thanks!
Melika

Re: Any advice on rehabbing...new to this breed

Post by Melika »

I'm not sure what will be specific to this species, as I am not overly familiar with other ones. I know Hane is exceedingly stubborn but will try anything new if given time.

Hane and his brother both HATED the colour red. Some other IRN owners have found this in their parrots too.

Welcome to the board, and I wish you much luck with this little one. Kudos to you for taking in a creature needing the love and caring you can give.
I've been called 'birdbrained' before, but somehow I don't think this is what they meant. say:hah-nay