New to the board!

Let us know a little about yourself! Tell us about your birds and why you are here.

Moderator: Mods

_Kiwi_

New to the board!

Post by _Kiwi_ »

Hey everyone! My name is Brandon and I just recently adopted an 8/9yr old male IRN (ankle band says he was born in 03, don't know which month) named Kiwi.

He is a little on the untame side, not liking hands, biting, etc. The weird thing is that once he steps up on you he either goes straight for the shoulder or the chest. Once he is on your chest he will cuddle forever, coo and let you rub him down, but if he is anywhere else he is darting the moment that hand comes near him LOL.

I just introduced clicker training to him this afternoon. He went from running from your hand to coming across his perch to get a treat in no time. He didn't like the target stick so I worked with treats only making him come them instead. Tomorrow I will work more with the stick and see how he does. Hopefully we will see some great progress over the weeks.

Looking forward to the great info and great people!

Here is a pic of Kiwi....
-Brandon
KIWI - IRN
ellieelectrons

Re: New to the board!

Post by ellieelectrons »

He's a stunning bird!

The target stick is only a tool. If it doesn't work with your bird, go with what works. Although I guess the advantage of the stick is that the bird can't see the treat he is about to get. I don't use a clicker or target stick. The problem i have is that my guys assess the quality of the treat I'm offering before they decide whether to do what I'm asking of them. To get them to "go to bed" for example currently requires a corner of a potato chip whereas they'll turn around on their perch for one tiny granulated nut. Unfortunately I have to keep changing it up because once they get familiar with a treat it becomes less effective. We have a whole treat economy going in our house. I've started buying kids lunchbox sized packets of chips for those times when I need to go out & I need to get them in their cage in a hurry! I wish someone would make IRN sized packets because even these are too big! :lol:

Ellie.
Sixty Fiver

Post by Sixty Fiver »

My 9 year old female steps up and will run up to my shoulder or, if she is brought close enough will climb up my chest to perch in the same place.

Have been working to stop this by blocking her when she starts to run up with my free hand and tell her to stop and at first expected a nip from her but instead, she puts her head down and tries to push my hand away with the top of her beak in a rather gentle fashion.

She is getting better and better about this every day and when she does come up to my shoulder she is very good about stepping up to be brought back down so we can have a treat and start over.

I think most birds consider this to be a very safe place and see baby birds that might be a little skittish in the hand settle right down when they can perch a little higher or nuzzle under your chin or hair.

This baby 'tiel is not bad when she is in hand and getting better but discovered that she really likes to perch and nuzzle and she was so content with my daughter (junior bird wrangler) she had a little bird nap and nothing that was going on around her phased her as much as it does when she is out in the open.

Sixty Fiver

Post by Sixty Fiver »

ellieelectrons wrote:He's a stunning bird!

The target stick is only a tool. If it doesn't work with your bird, go with what works. Although I guess the advantage of the stick is that the bird can't see the treat he is about to get. I don't use a clicker or target stick. The problem i have is that my guys assess the quality of the treat I'm offering before they decide whether to do what I'm asking of them. To get them to "go to bed" for example currently requires a corner of a potato chip whereas they'll turn around on their perch for one tiny granulated nut. Unfortunately I have to keep changing it up because once they get familiar with a treat it becomes less effective. We have a whole treat economy going in our house. I've started buying kids lunchbox sized packets of chips for those times when I need to go out & I need to get them in their cage in a hurry! I wish someone would make IRN sized packets because even these are too big! :lol:

Ellie.
Heh... I went a little Pavlovian and started putting the treats in a little box and it took Lucce all of a day to associate the shaking of the box with a treat.

These little raisin boxes should also serve to amuse him if I hide single treats in them which could be anything.
ellieelectrons

Post by ellieelectrons »

Cool idea!
Sixty Fiver

Post by Sixty Fiver »

ellieelectrons wrote:Cool idea!
I think his new phrase of "Hey boy, come here..." came with the new treat strategy as well.

:)