Ringnecks and New Jersey...

Moderator: Mods

ejw829

Ringnecks and New Jersey...

Post by ejw829 »

...perhaps NOT perfect together?

I was browsing the NJ Division of Fish & Wildlife to see what species were on the Potentially Dangerous Species list. I knew the Monk parakeets (aka Quaker Parrots) were considered a dangerous species but was surprised to see Ringnecks and Patagonian conures listed as well.

If I am reading the information correctly, that means that I cannot legally own an IRN as a pet, in accorance to N.J.A.C. 7:25-4.8 and N.J.A.C. 7:25-4.9. The link below goes into more detail:

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/dangrspp.htm

I plan on calling a few of the reputable bird stores in the state that I've dealt with AND the NJ Division of Fish & Wildlife to clarify.

Was anyone else aware of this?

-e-
-e-
Eliza
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

They are considered widlife pests...the quakers and IRNs have been know to take over and populate an area, driving out other species.

You can own one if you can find a breeder in YOUR state.

(Or atleast this is how it is in California)

Dani and Prinny
Mazziemom

Post by Mazziemom »

I know some area's require quakers be banded at all times to be legal... I can't remember if NJ is one of them.

I havent heard of IRN's being banned anywhere, so this is kinda news to me. Do let us know what you find out!

Athena
ejw829

Post by ejw829 »

Dani03 wrote:They are considered widlife pests...the quakers and IRNs have been know to take over and populate an area, driving out other species.

You can own one if you can find a breeder in YOUR state.

(Or atleast this is how it is in California)

Dani and Prinny

A bird-savvy friend of mine (NJ resident as well who has gone to bat against the state) confirmed that in addition to Quaker parrots, ring-neck parakeets and Patagonian conures are indeed illegal in NJ. They cannot legally be kept as pets or bred for any reason... Which is pretty disheartening.

Oh, well. At least I know, right?

-e-
-e-
Eliza
Dani03

Post by Dani03 »

that sucks...I know in CA you cannot purchase one outside and bring it in. It must be purchased here and stay here.

Dani and Prinny
ejw829

Post by ejw829 »

Dani03 wrote:that sucks...I know in CA you cannot purchase one outside and bring it in. It must be purchased here and stay here.

Dani and Prinny

Yeah, it is a bummer. I've always been interested in IRNs and other psittacula parrots. I had already known about Quaker parrots...

Anyhoo, I can always admire and learn from afar and if I ever move out of state, I might give ownership some thought.

-e-
-e-
Eliza