What size cage for IRN?

Moderator: Mods

CeCe.

What size cage for IRN?

Post by CeCe. »

I'm looking at buying an IRN, they seem to be very social and have great personalities. Just wanting to do my research first. What size day cage does a ringneck need? I'm a bartender so I work nights and am at home generally during the day, so it would be able to roam around the house (supervised obviously) most of the time. It would only need to be in it's outside cage when I need to go out. So what size would you suggest? Any advice would definately be appreciated. Even advice that isn't in regards to the cage, anything you think I need to know :)
jillybean

Re: What size cage for IRN?

Post by jillybean »

Hi I had the same idea get a ringneck that was hand reared get big cage on deck and have it flying round when I was home, well that didnt work out so well, when took him/her out was all good but they poop everywhere and eat everything from the cord of comp to back of chairs I can see why people have play gyms for them and I have heard you can train them to poop only in their cage, good luck with that lol. and when I was at work and had him/her on the deck in cage they make so much mess seed and bits of fruit everywhere. So what I thought was a fab idea was really a lot of work. I do love my birds so made my husband build me a large avairy so now they have got space to fly dont poop in my house or eat my furniture and I go in and see them each day the tame one is still tame and flys down and sits on my shoulder and is now starting to talk. I also now have a breeding pair sitting and due to hatch in two days good luck with your bird. Oh and they say get a cage as big as you can afford or as big as your room allows Cheers
CeCe.

Post by CeCe. »

Haha when I say 'out' I mean strictly supervised! lol I had a cockatiel when I was a teenager and he chewed through anything he could get his little beak on! They definitely can be potty trained, you just have to know how often the parrot poops and when you've got the timing right, say it's 7 minute intervals - after 6 minutes you take birdie to his perch/play gym and wait till he poops, as soon as he does reward him and take him off the perch. It takes a while but it can be done. Eventually they associate pooping with perch so if they need to go they fly to the perch first (assuming it's wings aren't clipped, otherwise you may have problems ;) ) thanks for the advice I'll start looking around for one :)
AiSell

Post by AiSell »

They're really social birds :) For IRN you need cage with Bar Spacing: 1/2" to 5/8" and Min. cage dimensions: 24"x20"x20". And if you'll let out most of time bird, get cage model with playtop!
sanjays mummi

Post by sanjays mummi »

When we got sanjay he was in a nursery cage, it had a dome roof which opened. About 10 months later we bought a liberta discovery corner cage, 157x93cm, but we felt it just was'nt enough because he could'nt fly around in it. Now, he has a liberta raleigh corner cage, at 183x110x100cms it is his castle! He can fly and flit about as freely as he wants. It is quite an easy cage to keep clean too.,