WHAT my IRN is doing here?...Besides creeping me out?

Moderator: Mods

blueindianringneck

WHAT my IRN is doing here?...Besides creeping me out?

Post by blueindianringneck »

Here is a video. It does this weird almost hypnotic noise thingy... gets the green one's attention, then attacks. It hasn't been sexed. Don't know age.

I'm half expectant to see her head spin and shoot pea soup. The bird is really creepy. She just STARES at you. Then does this thing. We still socialize with her and all of that... but seriously... creepy bird...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIJBsiJdBG8
blueindianringneck

Re: WHAT my IRN is doing here?...Besides creeping me out?

Any help would be appreciated. :)
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

Looks like a hen showing signs of mating display. Is it breeding season where you are now.
blueindianringneck

Molossus2 wrote:Looks like a hen showing signs of mating display. Is it breeding season where you are now.
yes it is. We've only had her a very short time. (2 weeks I think?) And it hasn't been sexed. We got it from a lady that works for a rescue. Someone found it wild and brought it in. No idea on age either of course. I have a blue male I'm thinking of breeding with her. Any idea what colors they'd throw?

At least I know it might be a mating display, I was wondering what was going on. It's my first breeding season. Thank you very much.
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

Ringneck hens that have been on their own for some time can be aggressive to males. Some are killers. You must introduce the pair gradually and observe their responses. Perhaps wait for the season to end and then pair them. This will allow time for acquainting under normal conditions.
Pairing a pallid green to a blue without knowing their genetic background will leave you with a lot of possibilities :|
blueindianringneck

Molossus2 wrote:Ringneck hens that have been on their own for some time can be aggressive to males. Some are killers. You must introduce the pair gradually and observe their responses. Perhaps wait for the season to end and then pair them. This will allow time for acquainting under normal conditions.
Pairing a pallid green to a blue without knowing their genetic background will leave you with a lot of possibilities :|
agreed!

And yes, I am curious to know what they'd produce lol both are pretty birds.
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

The genetic make up of the pallid is vex linked and the blue is recessive. Assuming that the hen is a straight pallid ie not split to blue then your expectations are ..
Cocks. Green/blue/pallid
Hens. Green/blue.
If the hen is split to blue then...
Cocks.blue/pallid and green/blue/pallid
Hens. Blue and green/blue
Hope this helps
blueindianringneck

Molossus2 wrote:The genetic make up of the pallid is vex linked and the blue is recessive. Assuming that the hen is a straight pallid ie not split to blue then your expectations are ..
Cocks. Green/blue/pallid
Hens. Green/blue.
If the hen is split to blue then...
Cocks.blue/pallid and green/blue/pallid
Hens. Blue and green/blue
Hope this helps

What about this one? She is green and yellow headed pallid. We have her with a blue male, his parents were both blue.
Is she technically a clear head clear tail?

Blueberrybird

Post by Blueberrybird »

I don't think it's creepy, I think it's beautiful! And natural. You have berry pretty birds, and I love your playstand.
blueindianringneck

Blueberrybird wrote:I don't think it's creepy, I think it's beautiful! And natural. You have berry pretty birds, and I love your playstand.

lol, thank you! It's just the first time we've ever seen this behavior and she's kinda an odd bird to begin with lol.
Molossus2

Post by Molossus2 »

She is the pallid green aka lacewing not yellow head yellow tail akacleartail.
blueindianringneck

Molossus2 wrote:She is the pallid green aka lacewing not yellow head yellow tail akacleartail.

gotcha. thank you! What color could her offspring be? We have her with a blue